Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 14,306 times

Advertisements

My husband has recently taken a job in Elyria. We would like to relocate somewhere on or near the lake. I have been looking at Vermilion and think that is where we might want to be. We have a 13 year old son, so good schools are a top priority, and so is a safe neighborhood that he can ride his bike and play in.
If anyone has any input that they could share on Vermilion it would be greatly appreciated.
Also, we would like to start by renting a home. Are there many rentals available in Vermilion?
If there are any other towns near the water that you could recommend that would be great.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
I replied to your other thread as well so check that.

In the western Cleveland area, the communities right on the Lake are: Vermilion, Lorain, Sheffield Lake, Avon Lake, Bay Village, Rocky River, and Lakewood.

Based on your concerns I would cross off Lorain (all around bad - schools, services, roads, crime, poverty, etc all bad), maybe Sheffield Lake (nice little community but the schools aren't the best and it's more depressed due to high job losses), and just maybe Lakewood (I like Lakewood a lot, but the crime is higher than the others mentioned and the schools aren't as good, it sounds more urban than what you're looking for).

So I would recommend Vermilion, Avon Lake, Bay Village, and Rocky River. Rocky River, Avon Lake, and Bay Village have some of the highest rated school districts in Ohio, Vermilion schools are decent but they're 2 steps down (5/5 stars for the others vs 3/5 stars for Vermilion). Crime should not be a problem in any of those, however Bay Village was rated as the safest. If population loss/gain is a concern, Avon Lake is growing very fast while Vermilion is stagnant, Rocky River and Bay Village are both losing at quite a high rate (because they're in Cuyahoga County).

Vermilion is a very nice small lakeside community, and it's the cheapest out of those 4. I'm sure there are rentals available in Vermilion. Median rent in Vermilion is $700-$800. I would check into/drive around the different neighborhoods/streets in Vermilion and also the other suburbs mentioned to see which you like more and if there's any rental signs in those. Also, in Vermilion there's a high chance you could be right next to train tracks (which you might not like) so check that first as well.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Thank You for the info. I hope to come and look around the area soon. If it would ever quit snowing here in Michigan and there in Ohio!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Vermillion > Elyria is not a long commute.

I work in Westlake with 2 Vermillionites. That's 25 minutes.
I just showed my friend this thread. 15-20 minutes from Vermillion > Elyria. Tops.
She also said there are a lot of rentals in Vermillion as well as quite a few foreclosures.

Good luck!

Last edited by Peregrine; 03-09-2011 at 07:30 AM..

Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Thank You very much for the information.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM

389 posts, read 804,712 times
I don't know a whole lot about vermillion, but you would probably really like Avon Lake. Bay Village is excellent as well, but one city over to the east of Avon Lake which will add a few minutes on to your commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland