Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:04 PM

114 posts, read 304,478 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. "Nearly all" is bordering on hyperbole, but it's definitely a lot. I'm also talking about my personal experience, which I thought was pretty obvious, but I'd like to believe just didn't notice instead of the alternative.

As for your own broad generalization, I tend to agree, but it's Cleveland in particular that has an image problem. That's bad for recruiting talent here. I'm not sure why you don't see that as a problem that needs fixing. For issues like this, perception is just important, if not more so than reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
That's absurd.

Most cities are unless they're viewed as some utopian fantasyland by the overly coddled, instant gratification seeking boomeranger crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,136,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingdown View Post
Please get a life, you don't make a lick of sense and are only picking fights with others. You haven't made one valid point or presented a single fact to the thread.
I did make a very valid points which you chose to completely ignore. This is more than likely because you have no answer for them. No matter. I'll just leave you to float in your sea of ignorance. G'day.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremclippers View Post
I didn't threaten you, no where in my statement did I make a threat. I just simply said you wouldn't respond the same way. A threat FOR EXAMPLE (and this is not directed towards you or anyone else, i'm merely educating you). "I'm going to break every bone in your body". That's a threat funny you sound very intelligent with the way you speak but to not be able to tell the difference between a threat and a simple statement is mind boggling.
I said "veiled threat." Apparently, you either didn't catch that or it flew right over your head.

Quote:
My point is very valid, Cincy can retain younger professionals, Cleveland can't.
Cincy hasn't really retained anybody and has largely the same types of economic problems that Cleveland does. It also has another problem in that it isn't very diversified.

Quote:
Cleveland gets ridiculed by those who have left because there's nothing here for young people Hence why the population you see today is OLD and by old I don't mean age, I mean there aren't many educated individuals in Cleveland most of the population here are factory workers and paycheck to paycheck people (i'm one of them). Now before you jump the gun and say "there's plenty of educated people", true, but compared to other cities that have high-tech high paying jobs we don't (we're in transition but that's another topic).
Well, just because you're "one of them," I guess that must mean that everyone else is too. And, saying "they're plenty of educated people" isn't jumping the gun. It's a fact. As a matter of that same fact, Cleveland has been recognized as one of the better cities for many technological upstarts due to its strength in the medical and surrounding technical fields.

Quote:
My point was simply very different from what others have been talking about, but my point wasn't directed towards you, it was simply my thoughts and if you've been to cincy then come back here you'd agree with me.
I'm in Cincy at least once a month. I don't agree with you.

Quote:
In every major city you go to you see Young people. Which in turn stay in the area and are the new "wave" of residents in that particular city. Cleveland hasn't had that since waaayyy before my time.
Well, given that Cincy is also hemorrhaging population, one might say that "wave" is more like a trickle.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthines View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. "Nearly all" is bordering on hyperbole, but it's definitely a lot. I'm also talking about my personal experience, which I thought was pretty obvious, but I'd like to believe just didn't notice instead of the alternative.
It was at least as thoughtful as your flaccid statement. Your personal experience with disgruntled college kids is meaningless in the general scope of things.

Quote:
As for your own broad generalization, I tend to agree, but it's Cleveland in particular that has an image problem. That's bad for recruiting talent here. I'm not sure why you don't see that as a problem that needs fixing. For issues like this, perception is just important, if not more so than reality.
The only image problem Cleveland has is brought on by the ignorant media, those who heed in it, and those who aren't wily enough to go and do or see for themselves. If you want to leave, please do. But, please do so quietly.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Well, Cleveland got national attention when the Cuyahoga River caught fire in 1969, and again when the city went into default in 1978. In between, there were some embarrassing moments like the time Mayor Ralph Perk's hair caught fire when he mishandled a blowtorch at some ceremony or other, and his wife declined an invitation to the White House because it conflicted with their bowling night.

So Cleveland became the butt of national jokes. And television comedians cashed in on them. The "Best Location in the Nation" became, in people's minds, the "Mistake on the Lake".

Now, of course all this is ancient history these days, and today's Cleveland really isn't in any worse a boat than the other declining industrial cities, and is trying very hard to improve itself, but people still remember those old punchlines and cling to them, I guess. I don't know... that's what I could come up with off the top of my head.

The Cuyahoga river caught on fire many times between 1945 and 1969.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 PM

458 posts, read 1,217,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The Cuyahoga river caught on fire many times between 1945 and 1969.
As did many other rivers located in urban areas. This was not exclusive to Cleveland by any stretch.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 AM

682 posts, read 1,570,993 times
I think this thread needs a sticky.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:47 AM

35 posts, read 109,151 times
Dennis Kucinich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus give me Springer over this guy anyday of the week! You, guys keep reelecting him as a representative?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:00 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,992,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post

Cincy hasn't really retained anybody and has largely the same types of economic problems that Cleveland does. It also has another problem in that it isn't very diversified.

Cincinnati not diversified?? One of the city's strengths has been its diversity -- it has weathered larger economic downturns because it hasn't been tied to just one or two large industries (like Detroit). Cincinnati, once so well-known for its machine-tooling, now hosts everything from GE jet engines to P&G consumer products to Kroger groceries to Macys retailing, plus numerous advertising/branding/banking enterprises.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:12 AM

89 posts, read 190,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthomas1999 View Post
Dennis Kucinich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus give me Springer over this guy anyday of the week! You, guys keep reelecting him as a representative?
I stole Dennis Kucinich's water bottle when he gave a speech in North Carolina. To date it's the most interaction I've had with Cleveland.

I should visit some time. I rather like living in Cincinnati and I hear it's a cool place if you know where to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland