Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 14,857 times

Advertisements

Hi we are moving to cleveland this August end as I got a job and am looking for houses/apartments/townhomes for rent in good school district cities as I have a daughter going to 4th grade and I will be working in cleveland downtown(6th Street).My first priority is a good school district and 2nd is commute to downtown as I will not be driving but will have to take the train or bus.

Best Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 12:39 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,913,997 times
Consider something near Clifton Boulevard in Lakewood. The bus line along Clifton is one of the nicest in the city, and the ride would range from just over ten minutes on the east end of Lakewood to about twenty on the west.

Lakewood has tons of rentals, another reason I suggest it. You would probably be able to find a great apartment or Cleveland-style double. This type of thing can be found in abundance on the side streets that meet Clifton from the south, and I'd say the streets west of about Thoreau Avenue are generally where you're going to find the best areas for families.

You will hear mixed opinions on Lakewood schools. You'll often hear they're really good for gifted kids and special-ed or at-risk kids, but more unremarkable for average kids. I don't disagree with this, and I think it is important to take a good look at the school in question. The other thing is that Lakewood just downsized its school system, now operating ten schools instead of 14. So while I can tell you that the middle school I attended almost a decade ago was phenomenal, I can't tell you what that school will be like now that it is an elementary school nor can I predict how the new middle school will be.

But definitely don't write Lakewood off because of the schools. They're not like rich suburban schools, but they offer a lot if you're comfortable with them.

I imagine Shaker Heights has many options as well, but as a lifelong Lakewoodite I'm not really qualified to go too far into depth about the East Side.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:18 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,191,724 times
Hi! Cleveland has a fairly well developed system of public transportation (buses, rapids etc) so you have tons of options out in the suburbs!

I am not sure of your price range or other things you are looking for, but Brecksville/Broadview Heights is consistently one of the highest rated school districts around. I lived in Broadview Heights while my son was in elementary school and agree. Commute to Cleveland (not sure if you mean East 6 or West 6, but they would be fairly close to each other anyhow) non-rush hour would be about 20 minutes. Rush hour, budget 30 minutes or more. Bus ride would be approximately 30-60 minutes depending what route (ie some of the buses out there take the highway and can get you to Cleveland in under 30 minutes or so, others wind through 327418754 local streets and take a bit longer).

Other highly rated districts in the Cleveland area that you could easily manage to Cleveland by public transportation: Strongsville (awesome shopping mall in Strongsville btw). parts of North Royalton. Independence, Berea (tho watch Berea-with a younger child you would most likely not want to locate near the college). Westlake. Solon (this will be a bit more of a commute than the others though).

What rental price range are you looking for? Rents are fairly reasonable in most of these areas (parts of Brecksville or North Royalton may end you up in the higher range). I live in Parma Heights (close to Strongsville) and have a 2 bedroom townhouse up/down, about 1200 square feet, right off the MetroPark (Cleveland area has a nice park system!) and rent is around $900 including garage and right on bus line to give you an idea.

I would recommend avoiding these school districts if at all possible: Cleveland, Maple Heights, Garfield Heights, Warrensville, East Cleveland. At least in my opinion and according to the school ratings, most of the better districts tend to be the west/southwest suburbs or the far east (ie Beachwood, Solon) suburbs.

Parma school district (Parma, Parma Heights) is ok. Not the highest rated, but my son graduated from Parma and turned out fine and is otherwise a great kid and is now in college!

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:55 AM

161 posts, read 513,276 times
Good Morning.

I was born, raised, worked and taught school in Ohio for many years. Cleveland School District is probably one of the worst in the State.

A good alternative would be a program that the State of Ohio provides...

The program is called ECOT. (Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow) It is an on line program self directed with State-Certified Educators at your disposal.

The program provides all classroom materials needed including a computer. Because it is considered Ohio's online public school all materials are free while your child is in the program. They program includes K-12 regular and K-12 Special Needs. It is accredited by all colleges and universities.

Ohio has many fine school districts. However, because you are moving to a larger area, this is a very good alternative for your daughter. She works at home.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 32,770 times
I suggest Cuyahoga heights, they plow residents yard, actually have a negative property tax, great football team but only if you are white as they have no afro-americans living in the city limits. Public transport is nearby in Cleveland, a 5-15 minute walk away.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 AM

80 posts, read 343,729 times
Default Choose Shaker Heights or Lakewood

If you're looking to take the train (great option!) then you will be looking at either Shaker Heights or Lakewood. Both are lovely old neighborhoods with great housing options. I only know about Shaker Heights (my kids have gone through sixth grade and the elementary schools, especially Onaway and Fernway, are wonderful) and Shaker has two rapid lines as well as buses and great parks and housing options (apartments, two families, great family homes and its famous parkland mansions that are lovely to walk or drive by!) Best neighborhoods for safety and friendliness and beautiful old homes are Fernway and Malvern. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 12,626 times
Hi I have two kids to send for school ,please could you tell me ,Strongsville or northroyalton ,which is the best school district ?Regards.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 PM

141 posts, read 426,440 times
If you will be taking the bus, I recommend trying to live as close to Cleveland as you can. AVOID: Maple Heights, Garfield Heights, Warrensville Heights, Cleveland Public Schools, East Cleveland.

South Euclid/Lyndhurst, Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights/University Heights may not be the best choices starting around junior high.

I would recommend Lakewood, as it's a great, easy commute for you, and I've heard good things about their schools. They have lots of large and affordable rentals, and it's right on the lake with some awesome playgrounds.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,245,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
If you will be taking the bus, I recommend trying to live as close to Cleveland as you can. AVOID: Maple Heights, Garfield Heights, Warrensville Heights, Cleveland Public Schools, East Cleveland.

South Euclid/Lyndhurst, Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights/University Heights may not be the best choices starting around junior high.

I would recommend Lakewood, as it's a great, easy commute for you, and I've heard good things about their schools. They have lots of large and affordable rentals, and it's right on the lake with some awesome playgrounds.
Shaker Heights is fine throughout K-12, in fact superior to Lakewood and most other area districts, unless the main goal is to keep your kids surrounded by white people. But I agree with your sentiment about CH-UH and SE-L--both districts are okay at the elementary school level, but get progressively worse as you child moves up in grade level. Some pretty surprising demographic statistics show you just how much University Heights and Lyndhurst have bailed on their respective school districts.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 14,708 times
If you can afford the Shaker tax rate and rental rates I think they still have the best rated schools around. The RTA runs a tram all the way downtown so it's an easy commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: