U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,539 times
Default Moving to Cleveland from Kuwait.

Hello all,

I will be moving to Cleveland OH this august and will be attending Cleveland state University and was hoping to get some information from people that live close by.

My first question is, how safe is the area that the university is located in because I will be living in a close by apartment.

I will be living alone and willing to pay around 600-700 dollars a month for a apartment, would really appreciate suggestions.

also, will I be able to live there on a 1,800usd month budget?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 PM

78 posts, read 166,406 times
The area around Cleveland State University is plenty safe. Just remember, this is a city, so normal street smarts apply, especially at night.

As far as rent, I am sure that you can find some places for rent near CSU around that price range, but most rents in downtown are higher. It would help you tremendously if you could find a roommate, but I know that may be difficult. However, you can check out Reserve Square (East 12th and Chester Ave) and University Studios (Euclid Ave). Reserve Square has one bedrooms that are a bit above your price range ($724), but the location and amenities are pretty good. University Studios are fully furnished studio apartments that are well within your price range and are on the healthline, which gives you easy access to downtown, University Circle and Little Italy.

Lastly, you should be just fine with a budget of $1800 a month. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM

302 posts, read 626,918 times
The area is fine. Anything can happen but the usual thing is the bums asking for money or wanting you to follow them to help "fix" their "car". I used to go to school there and never heard of anything bad happen. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

I dont remember rental rates so somone else can help with that. 1800 usd per month not including rent is fine for food and whatever side expenses you may have.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Great information, really appreciate the help!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 AM

I forgot to ask about furniture. I looked up Ikea.com but they don't seem to ship to Cleveland, anyone knows any good affordable furniture stores in Cleveland that ship to apartments?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 PM

232 posts, read 219,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJheals View Post
I forgot to ask about furniture. I looked up Ikea.com but they don't seem to ship to Cleveland, anyone knows any good affordable furniture stores in Cleveland that ship to apartments?
Hello!

Affordable furniture stores in Cleveland would be Crate & Barrell, Pottery Barn, Levin, Value City (not sure if your looking for quality and affordability, or just afforability). Value City has lovely and very modern style furniture. Another store I really enjoy shopping for cute furniture is Target.

Don't worry about downtown living, because it is just as safe as any other active downtown. My husband and I go downtown a lot, and have an absolute ball everytime time. It's fantastic all year round. More and more people are moving downtown that are professionals. There are numerous projects and inniatives going on in Cleveland, that is about to make our great city even more spectacular!!! You are going to be right in the heart of all the action, culture, etc... Cleveland State is a fabulous university and the campus is lovely. I graduated from there in 1999. I am a professional and would love to have a place downtown.

Take advantage of the numerous restaurants all downtown and throughout the city, University Circle, Botanical Gardens, Museums, plays and broadway shows at the Play House, Little Italy, Case Western Reserve area (it's fabulous), Shaker Square, Cleveland Heights, Tremont and Ohio City (is a must), Improv & Pick Wick & Frolic for great comedy shows, West 25th, East 4th & East 6th, West Side Market for fabulous, fresh and affordable groceries (they were rated one of the best and oldest markets in the nation), and SO MUCH MORE... Enjoy Cleveland; people who move here absolutely LOVE it, and so do I!!!

Last edited by LoveCleveland#1; 04-28-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,713 times
Thanks for the post! I'm moving to Cleveland as well and that's actually quite useful for me I was browsing the value city website and it looks quite promising!

I'm a practical kinda guy but I'm just about done with Ikea furniture! Gets loose and falls apart over time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCleveland#1 View Post
Hello!

Affordable furniture stores in Cleveland would be Crate & Barrell, Pottery Barn, Levin, Value City (not sure if your looking for quality and affordability, or just afforability). Value City has lovely and very modern style furniture. Another store I really enjoy shopping for cute furniture is Target.

Don't worry about downtown living, because it is just as safe as any other active downtown. My husband and I go downtown a lot, and have an absolute ball everytime time. It's fantastic all year round. More and more people are moving downtown that are professionals. There are numerous projects and inniatives going on in Cleveland, that is about to make our great city even more spectacular!!! You are going to be right in the heart of all the action, culture, etc... Cleveland State is a fabulous university and the campus is lovely. I graduated from there in 1999. I am a professional and would love to have a place downtown.

Take advantage of the numerous restaurants all downtown and throughout the city, University Circle, Botanical Gardens, Museums, plays and broadway shows at the Play House, Little Italy, Case Western Reserve area (it's fabulous), Shaker Square, Cleveland Heights, Tremont and Ohio City (is a must), Improv & Pick Wick & Frolic for great comedy shows, West 25th, East 4th & East 6th, West Side Market for fabulous, fresh and affordable groceries (they were rated one of the best and oldest markets in the nation), and SO MUCH MORE... Enjoy Cleveland; people who move here absolutely LOVE it, and so do I!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Thank you very much, that really helped me a lot! you guys rock!!

Old 04-29-2011, 02:17 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,533,382 times
I get my furniture from Factory Direct...very affordable: Wholesale Home and Bar Furniture, Factory Direct Wholesale Swimming Pools, Wholesale Spas and More

Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 AM

2,405 posts, read 2,833,835 times
Surprised no one mentioned Norton's Furniture a few blocks over from CSU on Payne Avenue.

Seriously though, the area around Cleveland State is fine and the campus has its own police force which patrols the area. I've never once felt concerned for my safety there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland