Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:00 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

I'm just glad it's still around. I remember I knew a kid back in the 70s who went gaga over that place--he reminded me a lot of the OP (whom I know from another forum) which is why I suggested it, even though it's been almost 30 years. The OP has a strong love for old hotels, interesting old architecture (especially with a story) and preferably low prices so there might be some other cool hotels you all could suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM

911 posts, read 2,598,887 times
being really honest here, i usually choose pittsburgh as a get away from ohio.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
I think a lot of Clevelanders have been to the Burgh, but i guess we'll never really know for sure. I've been to both because i'm between the two. I'm a lot more familiar with Cleveland having been there hundreds of times, probably only been to the burgh less than 10 times.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,004 times
Places I would recommend to stay:

1) Baricelli Inn has new owners and was completely revamped. It is know know as the Washington Place Inn (Little Italy Neighborhood):
Washington Place Bistro and Inn

2) Glidden House (University Circle neighborhood): Cleveland Ohio Hotels | Glidden House | 866.812.4537

3) J. Palen House (Ohio City neighborhood) J. Palen House - Cleveland Bed and Breakfast

4) Stone Gables Bed and Breakfast (Ohio City neighborhood) Cleveland Ohio Bed and Breakfast Cleveland Bed and Breakfast Ohio B&B Cleveland Lodging OH Inn

Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

-Good unique MID-RANGE restaurants (i.e. casual dress, non-linen tablecloths, NON-chain)
Cleveland in chuck full of independent restaurants:

Cleveland's Top Restaurants 2011: Welcome to Northeast Ohio's A-List dining guide | cleveland.com

http://www.clevelandindependents.com/restaurants-85661.php (broken link)

Tremont, Little Italy, Downtown, and Ohio City are the best places to look.

I personally like:
Sokolowski's
Greenhouse Tavern
Bar Cento
Li Wah (Asiatown)
Presti's Bakery (Little Italy)
Tommy's (best milkshakes!!)

Quote:

-Museums
IMO, the best "must see:"
- Cleveland Museum of Art (FREE!) The Cleveland Museum of Art
- "A Christmas Story" House and Museum - A Christmas Story House - Ralphie’s House Restored to its A Christmas Story Splendor

Quote:

-Parks (walking, exploring, hiking)
Believe it or not...Lakeview Cemetery in Little Italy/University Circle (Garfield Monument with it's GREAT view of the city) Lake View Cemetery

-Cleveland has a National Park...Cleveland Metroparks: Cleveland Metroparks

-Metroparks Zoo is also great...they just opened up a new $25 million exhibit "Elephant Crossing" with like 10 news Elephants, including the largest in North America: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo

Quote:
-Historic architectural/heritage tourism areas
- Take a Hike Tours Downtown Donations (http://www.historicgateway.org/Donations.html - broken link)
- Lolly the Trolley Tours Lolly the Trolley - Trolley Tours of Cleveland

Quote:
-Places to stay---an LGBT-friendly bed & breakfast would be great
See above!

Quote:
-Great annual events
There are TONS...let us know the week/weekend and we can let you know.

Quote:
-Lake Erie happenings (public beaches?)
- Nautica Queen Cruise Ship: Nautica Queen - Cruise Dining Ship
- Goodtime III Cruise Ship: Goodtime III - Cleveland's Largest Excursion Ship
- Edgewater Park Beach: Ohio State Parks - Cleveland Lakefront State Park

Quote:
-Drew Carey Show sites?
hmm...not many. His "department store" is on Euclid Ave.

Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 AM

420 posts, read 1,041,628 times
Default Drew's Family House

Drew Carey neighborhood is old Brooklyn , He still maintains
the family home .
Located on Flowerdale Avenue , east of Ridge Road , first street north of
I 480 freeway .
I do not have house number , but it is on the portion of the street
that still has brick pavement , the house sets back from the street
and has a white picket fence .

Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty711 View Post
The Alcazar is still around but it is primarily used for senior living.
So it's a senior living residence now? I'm glad they found a good use for it, but maybe it's not the best place for a romantic weekend for a gay couple. The B&Bs sound more promising.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 AM

8 posts, read 20,876 times
Quote:
is crime really that much of a concern in these parts of Cleveland after dark?
Little Italy is the safest neighborhood in the city, but the areas surrounding LI, UC, and Case are pretty bad. I know of more than a few daytime armed robberies between UC and the cultural gardens.

Quote:
Can you give me an idea on as to where Tremont is in relation to Downtown, Little Italy, and University Circle?
Off the W14th exit on the freeway, or just over the Lorain Carniege bridge. Very close to downtown/strip clubs.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 AM

202 posts, read 367,701 times
I can't speak to whether or not folks should be walking around UC at night, but I know the Cultural Gardens is north of UC/LI. The OP mentioned taking the bus into UC. If they did that, they'd walk south into LI. Can anyone speak to the safety of doing this? (I'd be curious myself as someone who will be living downtown and frequenting UC/LI!).

Also, funny "Cleveburgh" should get mentioned as I just spent a weekend with the lady out in Pittsburgh! We did a little travel project showing off Pittsburgh for Clevelanders and talked with our hotel representative about the idea of "Cleveburgh." We haven't finished the piece yet, only uploaded one "intro" video directly from my phone. If anyone is interested, feel free to DM me!

And to the OP, welcome to Cleveland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland