Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeababy View Post
you'd take mayfield road to 1-271 then 1-90 east
Wouldn't it be better to take MLK Blvd to I-90 east? At least if you're living in Little Italy? I'm thinking that it takes 30 min tops to Mentor from there. Heck, I can be downtown from my parents house in Ashtabula County in 50 min (granted they live just off I-90).

I know there are bars and shops in downtown Wiloughby, but I have no idea what kind of crowd they attract. I have a feeling that Little Italy or Coventry would have much more of what the original poster is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 AM

306 posts, read 820,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Wouldn't it be better to take MLK Blvd to I-90 east? At least if you're living in Little Italy? I'm thinking that it takes 30 min tops to Mentor from there. Heck, I can be downtown from my parents house in Ashtabula County in 50 min (granted they live just off I-90).

I know there are bars and shops in downtown Wiloughby, but I have no idea what kind of crowd they attract. I have a feeling that Little Italy or Coventry would have much more of what the original poster is looking for.
Downtown Willoughby is nice. Not as hip as a Coventry but there's several nice bars and restaurants in their square area. There is a lack of shops but it's quaint and walkable.

MLK isn't a bad idea, but it's kind of round about. Unfortunately, there's no terrific way to get to Mentor from Coventry. You can also take Euclid to Chardon Rd and take that to Bishop which leads to I-90. You have to go through E. Cleveland to do it but that might actually be the quickest, depending on how many lights you hit. You can also take route 2 across although it's under heavy construction through Lake County.

My question for the OP is, how do you feel about driving in snow? If you aren't used to it, or don't enjoy it, look at Willoughby first. Also, a factor are gas prices. Driving from the Heights to Mentor will use up a significant amount of gas compared to the 5/10 minute drive between Willoughby and Mentor. I don't think that can be discounted, depending on the car that you're driving. For more and more people, that is becoming a factor. Take a look at Willoughby and if it bores you, then try the Heights scene.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 AM

191 posts, read 442,402 times
Have you considered downtown at all? Living here wouldn't be too bad of a commute because of the great highway access. I don't ever drive to Mentor, but I would assume it would take about 25-35 minutes. Downtown has the vibrant scene you're looking for and I would argue has more of a young professional presence than Coventry.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 AM

192 posts, read 492,057 times
I wouldnt suggest talking MLK to I-90 if you're coming from Coventry village, as if you're commuting during rush hours, university circle gets pretty congested and you can waste a lot of time at lights. mayfield road runs pretty fast at all hours of the day. but who knows -- i might be wrong!

Google Maps suggests getting to Superior Rd to Eddy Road then I-90, but thats not a "fun" commute.
Bing maps suggests getting on Monticello Blvd / Wilson Mills Blvd to 1-271 t I-90

Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 PM

306 posts, read 820,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
Have you considered downtown at all? Living here wouldn't be too bad of a commute because of the great highway access. I don't ever drive to Mentor, but I would assume it would take about 25-35 minutes. Downtown has the vibrant scene you're looking for and I would argue has more of a young professional presence than Coventry.
You can probably get to Mentor quicker from Downtown, then the Heights just because of the freeway access. One reason that I don't live in Cleveland Hts. is the lack of freeway access. Depending on where you're going, it can add 15-30 minutes to your commute and that's in good weather with regular traffic patterns. The downside of the commute from downtown to Mentor would be the drive during the winter.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:14 AM

202 posts, read 367,701 times
Default Go For Downtown

My girlfriend and I are moving into The Residences at 668 between June and July. It's easily the most impressive (and newest) apartment building in downtown Cleveland and the E. 4th area is a great place to hang out. I'm currently in Mentor/Willoughby area and it isn't for me. Maybe when I'm older, but right now I like to be able to walk to bars and use public transit or cabs to get around. Downtown Cleveland has plenty of exciting things going on. With all of the new businesses/restaurants popping up, it's like living in Sim City! I'd highly encourage looking into downtown or the neighborhoods and would be happy to show you around (as I have many others).

In case you couldn't tell by my obnoxious ramblings, I like to encourage young professionals to move into Cleveland proper, so I hope to see you around downtown or one of our awesome neighborhoods!

Cheers,
Joe

Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 39,527 times
Thanks for everyone's input! I've narrowed it down to downtown Willoughby or downtown Cleveland. I like the fact that DTW will be a short commute for me, but i'm having difficulties finding apartments (any suggestions?).

I like that downtown Cleveland will have more YPs and things to do, but I don't think I can afford to pay $1000 for my own apartment (i'm still open to finding a roommate, though) and gas.

Joe, do you work in the Mentor area?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 AM

aqelroa - I do not work in Mentor. I was born and raised there, went to Mentor High School before college in Oxford, moving to Chicago aaaand back to CLE!

I completely understand cost of living concerns as well as gas. I'm experiencing the gas-dent in the wallet with my current commute of Mentor to CLE. But keep in mind that if you live in Cleveland, you can save gas by using public transit or simply walking for chores and/or social life. In Mentor/Willoughby, you'll almost certainly have to drive to work, for chores and social life. That's the downside of a suburb.

Yes, $1000/month by yourself is pricey, but like you said - get a roommate! That's a great way to save on costs and be in the heart of it all. Conversely, you can live in the neighborhoods for significantly less (Ohio City, Tremont, Edgewater, Detroit Shoreway, etc.).

When we went apartment shopping, we searched the neighborhoods and founds rents in safe areas with social life for as little as 400/month. You just have to do your research!

Another reason to consider Cleveland proper over the suburbs is that in order for a city to thrive, young professionals need to give the city life. Without it, the suburbs begin to suffer. Cleveland is the heart of our region and the suburbs are its veins. Without a strong heart pumping blood, the rest dies off. (Aaaand SCENCE on my analogy).

I'd be more than happy to help you find a place downtown or in the nearby neighborhoods. Feel free to send me places you find on craigslist or apartments you find online. I have a pretty good sense of what the best areas to live are.

Cheers!
Joe

Old 05-19-2011, 09:04 AM

15 posts, read 39,527 times
Thanks - very much appreciated!

I will be working in the Mentor/Painesville area for only a year, my biggest concern was the 25+ mile each way commute from downtown 5 days a week. Still trying to justify if living in downtown and being close to everything social that I would want makes up for the gas (and wear/tear on my car in the winter).

Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 AM

No problem!

Right now I'm getting away with about 1 tank of gas every 8-9 days. But I also drive around Cleveland after work or on the weekend, because that's where all the action is! If you live in CLE proper, you can make it a point to limit your driving to the commute and nothing more.

There are pros and cons to everything and you'll have to decide what works best for you. I'm very a much a "you only live once!" kind of guy. I would personally much rather risk the wear/tear on my car in favor of having a social life and contributing to the amazing renaissance that's going on in Cleveland than live in the 'burbs. That's just me, though!

Feel free to message me and I'll send you my email address if you'd like help in looking for a place in Cleveland. I'd also be more than happy to give you a tour of some of the areas. (I know that might sound like a strange offer, but I've done it before!)

Cheers,
Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: