Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM

126 posts, read 338,765 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Has anyone ever used a car sharing program? Has anyone used CityWheels in Cleveland? I've never talked to anyone who has done this before and I would love to get a little feedback before trying it.

I'm trying my best to avoid owning a car, but it looks like I'll be needing a car one night a week. I'm wondering if this might be a good solution.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:24 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,481,681 times
I checked into their prices, you might be better off renting from Enterprise for the one day a week. Unless you truly only use it for an hour, anything beyond that you would be better renting a car.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:22 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,159,886 times
Eh, buy a cheap, used car for $2500. You'll be spending almost that much anyway if you use their service for more than 4 hours per week (and, more than 20 miles/hr costs extra).

Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 PM

126 posts, read 338,765 times
It seems like it could be a great idea, but like you guys are saying, it seems to be more expensive than it's worth.

The pros include: not owning a car, not needing insurance (it's included in their fees), not buying gas (also included in the fees), no repairs, no license/registration, no monthly car payment

But in my cons list, there are so many fees. I didn't know about the 20 miles/hr fee and that's bad because I need a car to get out to Lake County.

It really seems like it's for the college students in University Circle who can walk right over to grab a car to go to the store. For me, using this service would also include about half an hour taking the bus to the lot to get a car, then half an hour back. And if I missed the bus...well, I'd be waiting an hour for the next one.

I'm trying so hard not to own a car, but it's not easy

Thanks for your replies!

Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM

33 posts, read 85,809 times
Default pros and cons of city wheels

I applaud you for not owning a car. some things to consider are the hassles of owning a car, dealing with breakdowns, accidents, repairs, storing the car, paying for parking, etc.

Have you thought of car pooling. I don't know the website but if it is a matter of going one place once a week, you might be able to car pool. You can ride and pay money for gas.

The true cost of owning a car is much more that just gas and insurance. There is monthly payments, repairs, maintenance, parking, license plate fees, etc. I think the real cost of owning a car must be at least $500 month. If using city wheels is less than that it might be worth it.

Can you arrange at work that you only go out there every other week? That could save you some money, also.

Try Google Transit

It is agreat website that gives you best directions and routes just like google maps for driving but it is for transit. I use it all the time. I am not car free yet, just car light. (but hope to be car free soon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: