Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:07 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
an open minded you population, Cleveland-area fifth oldest among the 54 urban areas (40+) link from your own PD Census shows Cleveland-Akron has near the highest median age in the U.S.: Statistical Snapshot | cleveland.com

What... old equals close minded? Disagree...

Quote:
Hours drive from NYC,Chicago, Philly, why not include Nashville
I consider 6 hours driveable. Chicage is 6 hours. NYC and Philly are a bit far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Hours drive from NYC,Chicago, Philly, why not include Nashville
Because no sane person would spend 9 hrs on the road to visit Nashville.

I actually didn't think Nashville was that close until I looked it up on Google Maps. It's only an hour more than it is to NYC, although I have made it from Cleveland to NYC in about about 7 hrs before.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
I drove from Youngstown to Nashville in June and it took us 8.5 hours. To be honest i thought it was an ok town, a lot smaller than I imagined, it actually seemed to be just a tad bigger than Ytown. There were obviously a lot of bars, but that's really not my scene. We did some touristy stuff, but I wasn't too impressed.

On the other hand, my brother got married in Asheville (took around 9 hours) last week and we loved it there. It also seemed to be a small town, but we liked it much much better than Nashville.

As for driving times to places, not sure why ZnGuy mentioned Nashville either, DC, Baltimore, etc are closer.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I drove from Youngstown to Nashville in June and it took us 8.5 hours. To be honest i thought it was an ok town, a lot smaller than I imagined, it actually seemed to be just a tad bigger than Ytown. There were obviously a lot of bars, but that's really not my scene. We did some touristy stuff, but I wasn't too impressed.

On the other hand, my brother got married in Asheville (took around 9 hours) last week and we loved it there. It also seemed to be a small town, but we liked it much much better than Nashville.

As for driving times to places, not sure why ZnGuy mentioned Nashville either, DC, Baltimore, etc are closer.
it's called sarcasm

Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Because no sane person would spend 9 hrs on the road to visit Nashville.

I actually didn't think Nashville was that close until I looked it up on Google Maps. It's only an hour more than it is to NYC, although I have made it from Cleveland to NYC in about about 7 hrs before.

I would for Graceland, lololol

Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
I would for Graceland, lololol
I think that's in Memphis, not Nashville.

Nashville is the Country Music Capital of the World and home of the Grand Ol' Opry. If that's your thing, it might well be worth the visit. If not, well, I'm not aware of what else Nashville has to offer.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 AM

53 posts, read 332,163 times
"......that place (Cleveland) with a growing economy, 4 comfortable seasons, one of the best metroparks systems in North America, not just the USA, a top 5 arts scene, NFL, MLB, NBA, and might as well have NHL (Columbus is little brother between Cinci and Cleveland), nearby other great cities (Akron, Pittsburgh, Canton), a top private university (Case Western Reserve, ranked with the Ivies), Kent State, Cleveland State, UAkron, Malone, RTA Rail Transit, the Euclid Corridor, a rich history, a great brew scene (GLBC!), one of the top farmers and artisan markets in the USA (West Side Market), Coventry in neighboring Cleveland Heights as one of the finest examples of larger-scale urbanist developments in America, the density of DC in the suburbs (Lakewood), an open minded, young population, MELT, billions in current development including a booming residential downtown population, West 6th street, the Lake, the Jake, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, boatwatching on the shore, one of the fastest growing and now one of the top fine dining scenes in the WORLD, growing film industry, diversity, diversity, diversity (and it's authentic, too! Try finding pierogis as good as Sovolowskis ANYWHERE else), Parma, legendary delis, the beauty of Bratenahl, Tremont, Ohio City, a beautiful Little Italy, Polish boy, friendly people, blue collar hardworking demeanor, A Christmas Story, The International Film Festival, The Monsters, The Crush, Norris Cole, The O'Jays, a booming local hip hop scene, a booming local foods scene, hours drive from NYC, Chicago, Philly, Cinci, Columbus, Indy, Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Charleston(WV), and many more, great local radio, The Plain Dealer (one of the finest pieces of newsprint you'll ever lay hands on), new biotech startups, below average unemployment, a decent aerospace industry, city wide wi-fi (in progress), one of the best cities to hold conventions in, LOW cost of living, CIA, CIM, right down the road from Cedar Point, a little further to King's Island, great traffic, beautiful suburbs with solid housing stock and walkability, and LOTS more."

__________________________________________________ ________________________

The above quote is taken from another thread (Ohio board). It prompts me to ask, if Cleveland is as good as the above post makes it sound, why does Cleveland need to be "sold" to any prospective resident?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:17 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer
The above quote is taken from another thread (Ohio board). It prompts me to ask, if Cleveland is as good as the above post makes it sound, why does Cleveland need to be "sold" to any prospective resident?
Am I the only one that thinks this is a dumb question?? No offense, but what are you getting at?
Ask the OP, He phrased it like that. I am assuming if he were moving to Miami he would ask the same question in the Florida forum.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I think that's in Memphis, not Nashville.

Nashville is the Country Music Capital of the World and home of the Grand Ol' Opry. If that's your thing, it might well be worth the visit. If not, well, I'm not aware of what else Nashville has to offer.
I would definately visit there..I have cousins over there

Old 07-30-2011, 01:33 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
"......that place (Cleveland) with a growing economy, 4 comfortable seasons, one of the best metroparks systems in North America, not just the USA, a top 5 arts scene, NFL, MLB, NBA, and might as well have NHL (Columbus is little brother between Cinci and Cleveland), nearby other great cities (Akron, Pittsburgh, Canton), a top private university (Case Western Reserve, ranked with the Ivies), Kent State, Cleveland State, UAkron, Malone, RTA Rail Transit, the Euclid Corridor, a rich history, a great brew scene (GLBC!), one of the top farmers and artisan markets in the USA (West Side Market), Coventry in neighboring Cleveland Heights as one of the finest examples of larger-scale urbanist developments in America, the density of DC in the suburbs (Lakewood), an open minded, young population, MELT, billions in current development including a booming residential downtown population, West 6th street, the Lake, the Jake, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, boatwatching on the shore, one of the fastest growing and now one of the top fine dining scenes in the WORLD, growing film industry, diversity, diversity, diversity (and it's authentic, too! Try finding pierogis as good as Sovolowskis ANYWHERE else), Parma, legendary delis, the beauty of Bratenahl, Tremont, Ohio City, a beautiful Little Italy, Polish boy, friendly people, blue collar hardworking demeanor, A Christmas Story, The International Film Festival, The Monsters, The Crush, Norris Cole, The O'Jays, a booming local hip hop scene, a booming local foods scene, hours drive from NYC, Chicago, Philly, Cinci, Columbus, Indy, Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Charleston(WV), and many more, great local radio, The Plain Dealer (one of the finest pieces of newsprint you'll ever lay hands on), new biotech startups, below average unemployment, a decent aerospace industry, city wide wi-fi (in progress), one of the best cities to hold conventions in, LOW cost of living, CIA, CIM, right down the road from Cedar Point, a little further to King's Island, great traffic, beautiful suburbs with solid housing stock and walkability, and LOTS more."

__________________________________________________ ________________________

This struck me.....is the Cleveland art scene REALLY this notorious? If so, I need to check it out! If you are exaggerating, no big deal, but top 5 is a LOFTY remark, to say the least! Minneapolis, for instance, is VERY artsy, but I wouldn't call it top 5.

And, I don't know of any "metro parks" outside of THIS city, but there are MANY cities with amazing parks in this country!

Where do these claims come from?

P.S. I'm not so much doubting your claims as much as I'm interested in seeing a reference to back your claims!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland