U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 PM

8 posts, read 4,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
What was your MOS? Sorry that you think that you made a mistake, but there are tons out there who think that joining was the best thing for them since it helped them go to college, get some job skills, become successful, etc. As with anything in life, nothing is perfect, and just because it did not work out for you, does not mean that it's not a good option for other people.

Yeah I could be whatever I wanted to be in a perfect world and a perfect job market, too bad it's not like that. It's an employers market out there, and they can afford to be picky for whatever reason they want to be.

MOS: 2311 Units; 2ND AAV, 2/2, 2ND Tank BN, in that order, all H&S Co. S-4 2ND Mar Div.

Don't be sorry for me! I didn't say anything about it not working out, it couldn't have worked out much better under the circumstances. Active enlisted personnel can't attend college at will, it just isn't that easy and there are many factors involved in making it happen. After my EAS I later moved to W.V. and joined the Army National Guard to take advantage of 100% free tuition.

It doesn't have to be a perfect world, employers set standards and seek qualified candidates, it's up to you to have the qualifications.

Last edited by GoneFromGeorgia; 08-11-2011 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 AM

15 posts, read 25,908 times
I just set up a Facebook group for boomerangs so we can share our experiences of leaving and returning, including what we like and what's sometimes a struggle. I would like to get more of us in touch and to have some events as well. Look for Cleveland Boomerangs on Facebook.

Cities are going to have people coming and going. We just have an imbalance. I actually want people to leave and come back, because Clevelanders gain experiences and perspectives that they wouldn't get any other way. I'm not the only one who's noticed how oddly behind the times the city can be because we don't have enough population coming in, whether it's new people or "boomerangs." Clevelanders traveling, working elsewhere and getting educated elsewhere is a good thing too. We just need more to bring it all on home at some point.

And I don't find more bad attitude among those who left than many who stayed. I've seen the opposite. In DC there are FIVE (last time I checked) Browns Backers clubs, and I found CLE ex-pats there and elsewhere to be extremely hometown proud. (And I constantly met people who wanted to come visit here for the first time, btw!) It's here at home that the negativity is so awful. It's been a hard part about coming back after 17 years. Clevelanders still think the country is making jokes about us, as if Johnny Carson is still on.

I didn't leave because I didn't like Cleveland, but because there was a world to explore. I moved to Europe, to New York and to Washington DC. And I did work in those cities that I could never do here, or in most other cities for that matter.

And to those who doubt the unemployment problems here, I assure you that even with a degree and 20+ years of professional work experience and a resume that knocks people's socks off, I am having trouble finding work too. It's a recession folks! There are more people than jobs at ALL levels! A handful of you may be in industries with a lower rate of unemployment, but most people are not. And no one likes to hire people like me for menial jobs if because I'm overqualified and they assume I'll leave --- which I will. (Yes, I have a dumbed down resume, and employers have Google and my work is all over the internet.) I'm continuing to work at whatever I can whenever I can, while looking in my field, but finding steady paychecks even at minimum wage has been awful. So a little more compassion and less judging would be much more helpful.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 2,197 times
Shaker Life, the Shaker Heights bimonthly community magazine recently published an article about "boomerangers" in Shaker Heights. People who have grown up in Shaker, and Cleveland, find themselves returning after having studied elsewhere and traveled the world, because they find that Shaker offers the perfect environment for families seeking global awareness, and open mindedness. I think that many people don't realize how much they love and appreciate Shaker and Cleveland until they've left; and when looking for an area to raise their families, they realize that they've really just been looking for Shaker. The boomerang effect is great, hopefully the trend will continue throughout downtown Cleveland in addition to in its suburbs.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:28 PM

3,471 posts, read 4,525,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPierogiPazza View Post
I just set up a Facebook group for boomerangs so we can share our experiences of leaving and returning, including what we like and what's sometimes a struggle. I would like to get more of us in touch and to have some events as well. Look for Cleveland Boomerangs on Facebook.

Cities are going to have people coming and going. We just have an imbalance. I actually want people to leave and come back, because Clevelanders gain experiences and perspectives that they wouldn't get any other way. I'm not the only one who's noticed how oddly behind the times the city can be because we don't have enough population coming in, whether it's new people or "boomerangs." Clevelanders traveling, working elsewhere and getting educated elsewhere is a good thing too. We just need more to bring it all on home at some point.

And I don't find more bad attitude among those who left than many who stayed. I've seen the opposite. In DC there are FIVE (last time I checked) Browns Backers clubs, and I found CLE ex-pats there and elsewhere to be extremely hometown proud. (And I constantly met people who wanted to come visit here for the first time, btw!) It's here at home that the negativity is so awful. It's been a hard part about coming back after 17 years. Clevelanders still think the country is making jokes about us, as if Johnny Carson is still on.

I didn't leave because I didn't like Cleveland, but because there was a world to explore. I moved to Europe, to New York and to Washington DC. And I did work in those cities that I could never do here, or in most other cities for that matter.

And to those who doubt the unemployment problems here, I assure you that even with a degree and 20+ years of professional work experience and a resume that knocks people's socks off, I am having trouble finding work too. It's a recession folks! There are more people than jobs at ALL levels! A handful of you may be in industries with a lower rate of unemployment, but most people are not. And no one likes to hire people like me for menial jobs if because I'm overqualified and they assume I'll leave --- which I will. (Yes, I have a dumbed down resume, and employers have Google and my work is all over the internet.) I'm continuing to work at whatever I can whenever I can, while looking in my field, but finding steady paychecks even at minimum wage has been awful. So a little more compassion and less judging would be much more helpful.
Link?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 2,197 times
City of Shaker Heights - Shaker Life (http://shakeronline.com/dept/outreach/ShakerLife.asp - broken link)

Here is a link to the Shaker Life magazine; you can find the article on "Boomerangers" in the most recent edition.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 PM

49 posts, read 30,909 times
@ LoveCleveland#1 You read my mind on this. Now, if you gotta make moves because they're right for you; that's cool. But, if you're copycatting and only doing it 'cause everybody else is doing it then you're following and not leading. I also agree with you on Clevelanders constantly being negative. Everybody here acts like the problems in Cleveland don't exist anywhere else. Newsflash: The problems are EVERYWHERE! America is in crisis right now not just Cleveland. I know there are a lot of problems in Cleveland, but Clevelanders need to quit acting like the problems are only exclusive to this city alone.

There are some people that say the smart people leave Cleveland. So, I'm smarter because I move to Dallas, Miami, Chicago, Atlanta, etc.? I feel you should wanna stay or go to another city because you want to. Like I said you do what's best for you, but don't knock me or somebody else who wants to stay because I feel that's right for me or them. Everybody's free to make their own choices but take it all in stride. If you were negative before you moved, you're gonna be negative after you move.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 09-02-2011 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 09-06-2011, 03:45 PM

20 posts, read 28,488 times
I wonder if it's partly because the younger people are trying move out on their own but because the economy is lousy in general, that they are forced to move back home for awhile.

Also, Cleveland is cheap- If you're making $80,000 here, it goes a long way. In NYC or San Fran... it's nice, but... And as you get older, a lot of people want to settle down- to be able to own a home and not have it be in the 7 figures for a lousy home or a 2 bed room apt. Also it's not a bad place to raise a family as well.

The nation does not make jokes about Cleveland, I can assure you that. At least on the East Coast, nobody goes out of their way to poke fun of Cleveland. It's NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland