Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 10,523 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to cleveland and need to live on the west side since his job will be in Elyria. We want to stay close to the city and would prefer a place where we can walk to restaurants and shops, so a place that has an urban feel. Where should we look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 AM

261 posts, read 588,502 times
You'll probably be getting Lakewood from most people. Although if you're interested in city proper too, there's Ohio City and Detroit-Shoreway.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:16 PM

77 posts, read 179,098 times
Pretty much what above poster said.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM

33 posts, read 85,945 times
Check out West Boulevard area and West Park area of Cleveland also.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:16 PM

124 posts, read 304,223 times
My husband and I just moved to Cleveland and LOVE West Park/Kamm's Corners. Tons of affordable housing, very walkable, lots of police/fire, and awesome neighborhood. PM if you want more info

Old 08-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Awesome thanks! We lived in the suburbs once and HATED it so we really want to try to be somewhere we can walk. Are there a lot of good restaurants and shops there too? Also, will realtors take you around to apartments or do you have to do that on your own in cleveland? every city is different so I was just curious how it works there?

Last edited by aliecat245; 08-20-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 PM

189 posts, read 399,722 times
The inner-ring suburbs of Cleveland aren't the horribly sterile places most suburbs are. They have a lot of culture and walkable neighborhoods, mostly because they're as old as Cleveland. Lakewood is nice and even has light rail connections that will take you right into the heart of Cleveland.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 PM

200 posts, read 814,025 times
I recommend Rock River, a community located in West Cuyahoga County Adjacent to Lakewood. It is a middle class community, the closer to the lake you are, the higher you rent will be. Rocky River contains a downtown street with several streets. This area is quite walkable. Next to Rocky River are the Great Lakewood, Crocker Park in Westlake, Westpark, and Downtown is a 10 minute drive away. Rocky River also has some of the best schools on the west side.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,769 times
my experience with Cleveland was the closer you got the core the more endearing it was. After a hard days work, I want to not go more than 2-3 miles, and hopefully much, much less to have a meal or wine out. I know for many reasons people live in the burbs. I don't want to pretend I could master being an urban parent in Cleveland, but if you do not have school age children you will find the city very effortless to live. There are a lot of solid like minded people from both NE OH and all over the country that will be your interesting neighbors. Good thing about near west side to Elyria is a reverse commute-fly west on 90.....except in the snow, hopefully there is a nice telecommute policy on those days. Think about Ohio City, Lakewood (a near suburb), W. Bank Flats, Tremont (now that I am gone, I do not know the status re: how to get to 90...may be too much of a pain)

Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 PM

A few people have told us to check out West Lake. I looked on the map and it's a bit further away from downtown Cleveland then the other places mentioned above. Can we assume this town is a bit more suburban than the others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland