Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 PM

6 posts, read 33,007 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I'm graduating from college in May and afterwards, I'm moving to Cleveland for work. I'll be living with a friend and we are both young, single women. My job (and possibly hers) is located downtown so that's ultimately where we would like to live. However, since we're both young girls and we'll be out on our own, we're concerned with safety issues. We've looked at the East Fourth and Warehouse District areas and we think those are our best options. Are those areas relatively safe? Do you have any suggestions of other places to look at? I have just had a lot of trouble with men and cat-calling whenever I'm in Cleveland and I guess that makes me worry about my safety a little bit. We just want to be able to go out at night and not have to look over our shoulders every ten seconds. Any help/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 AM

191 posts, read 440,827 times
East 4th and the Warehouse District are very safe for single women. I live in the Warehouse District and there are plenty of single women who live in my building and I let my fiancee walk outside by herself without hesitating. The guys who live down here are all pretty down to earth and respectable, the cat calling guys are the suburbanites and others who don't live here who come down on Friday and Saturday night and try to have a quick fling.

Let me know if you have any questions on any specific buildings. I'm pretty familiar with all of the housing options downtown.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:03 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,246,027 times
I echo this as well:

1) E.4th
2) Warehouse District

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,084,378 times
Check out University Circle and the eastside as well. It's not as "tall" but it's certainly urban and definitely a unique, rapidly infilling neighborhood... and I mean RAPIDLY.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM

130 posts, read 298,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I echo this as well:

1) E.4th
2) Warehouse District
As do I. I lived in the warehouse district (The Bingham). I'd like to live on e4th now having experienced being by w6th (where all the clubs are). The thing is even though it "pops" on the weekend...the weekdays during the days are just not nearly as much liveliness as e4th.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:30 PM

6 posts, read 33,007 times
Thanks, everyone! Someone I know from college just moved into Water Street Apartments on East 9th in August so my friend and I went over to her apartment a few weeks ago and I was impressed. I already know where I DON'T want to live but after I find apartments I like, it's hard to narrow them down. I have until May to decide which seems like a long time but it really isn't at all. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to post! You guys have helped me out a lot already.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,874,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyLove View Post
Thanks, everyone! Someone I know from college just moved into Water Street Apartments on East 9th in August so my friend and I went over to her apartment a few weeks ago and I was impressed. I already know where I DON'T want to live but after I find apartments I like, it's hard to narrow them down. I have until May to decide which seems like a long time but it really isn't at all. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to post! You guys have helped me out a lot already.
Glad you are getting some direction. Good thing you are getting a head start too. Downtown living is in such high demand right now in Cleveland. I am really waiting for them to start new construction or new conversions soon because I would like to move downtown to be closer to work. I went into 668 Euclid before they finished those up, and they only had one model left to show because everything else was sold out. Good luck on the search.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:53 AM

26 posts, read 55,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyLove View Post
Downtown is a pretty crappy place to live IMO. I'd go check the area many times during different times of the day to get a feel for what I mean. Downtown is where offices are/people go to work. I'd check out residential communities like Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, etc.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,040,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShotl View Post
Downtown is a pretty crappy place to live IMO. I'd go check the area many times during different times of the day to get a feel for what I mean. Downtown is where offices are/people go to work. I'd check out residential communities like Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, etc.
Thats changing in cities all over the country. Even in cities that have been known for economic struggles. Cleveland absolutely included.

Cleveland has done pretty well for itself in terms of keeping its city proper, considering that its population loss relative to its peak 1950 population is about the same as Detroits. (Vibrant "yuppie-nightlife" neighborhoods, ethnic neighborhoods, and mixed artsy-ethnic) give it a feeling of a mini-Chicago more so than anywhere else in the midwest.

Lakewood and Cleveland Hts are probably excellent places for those looking for urban-suburban living. The Cleveland counterparts to Chicagos Oak Park and Evanston.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,405,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
The guys who live down here are all pretty down to earth and respectable, the cat calling guys are the suburbanites and others who don't live here who come down on Friday and Saturday night and try to have a quick fling.
While I agree that most of the goofballs doing the "cat calling"(heh) are predominantly suburban chuckleheads from the west side, you have to admit that the warehouse district(and west 6th in particular) has developed a reputation for this. I remember hearing a parody on a local radio station to the tune of Katy Perry's "California Girls" called "West 6th guys". It basically made fun of the "Jersey Shore" look a likes that can be found there.

I'm not discouraging anyone from living in the WD. From everything I hear, it's a great place to be, and I'd imagine that the "situation" impersonators are a small minority that probably gets too much publicity thanks to a local media that's hell bent on squeezing every last drip of negativity out of an otherwise good situation for the city.

Good luck to the OP. I'm sure you will enjoy Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland