Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 01:26 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times

Advertisements

Cleveland passes Complete Streets: Parsing ODOT's 'cost more' quote | GreenCityBlueLake

This is the kind of progressive thinking that will solidify Cleveland not only as a Healthy City... but a COMEBACK city.

I was thinking about going car free wherever I end up... Minneapolis beat Cleveland entirely in terms of bikeability and walkability.

Soon, Minneapolis will have one fewer thing over Cleveland. News like this is what is helping me solidify my goals of moving to NEOH. Seeya soon, guys.

The PD's take:
Cleveland council OKs 'Complete and Green Streets' legislation | cleveland.com

For those who are unaware of Complete Streets, just imagine streets that are extra pedestrian and bike friendly a-la Euclid Ave.

I'm really hoping that there's a second BRT line put in similar to the Healthline soon! I think one going along Detroit Ave. into Lakewood from downtown would be stellar. Send it down Superior Ave. and link it with the Healthline or Coventry.

Another one that'd be interesting would be a Lakefront line in order to help spur waterfront development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 02:05 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,118 times
AGREED!

Cleveland is progressing to the future. Even Mayor Frank Jackson is in Japan as Cleveland is looking to be the first U.S. city to built a trash burning power plant:

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson heading to Japan to view trash-plant technology | cleveland.com

Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM

The Tea Party-esque comments on that page worry me. I do wonder how that would function though. What level of air pollution are we going to gain from such a beast? I know nothing of them.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:48 PM

261 posts, read 588,833 times
I don't know much about them either but hopefully whatever drawbacks they could have can be figured out if Jackson can study enough about them.

The Tea Party type posters on there are pretty typical, that website is a daily haven for them since its the only way their opinions are heard. Northeast Ohio is a democratic stronghold and most of the area leans to the left.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
The Tea Party-esque comments on that page worry me. I do wonder how that would function though. What level of air pollution are we going to gain from such a beast? I know nothing of them.
Put it this way, the pollution will be no worse than if you burn coal. The thing you gain the most is that there would be less landfill space needed and less methane emissions from them as a result. Most modern trash fired boilers burn so hot and are controlled so well that the actual pollution is minimal (similar to that of burning natural gas). Plus they can also burn wood chips, sawdust, and just about any other organic combustible. If you have the trash and that trash needs to be either put in the ground to decay or burned to create energy, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Also, the PD loons are always out in tea-bagger force. Pay them no mind. 99% of them can't even find their way out of momma's basement.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:32 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
Even Mayor Frank Jackson is in Japan as Cleveland is looking to be the first U.S. city to built a trash burning power plant:
That's incorrect; Akron has had one for several decades that runs the steam heat system downtown. There are cities all over the country that have had those; it's not a new concept.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
That's incorrect; Akron has had one for several decades that runs the steam heat system downtown. There are cities all over the country that have had those; it's not a new concept.
Partial correction on my part - they don't burn trash there anymore, although the steam heat system is still running.

"The City of Akron constructed a Recycle Energy System in the 1970's to burn trash and garbage from Summit County customers to produce steam. In 1978, Ohio Edison gave the City of Akron its Beech Street Steam Plant.

After 1979, the City employed operators to manage the RES plant. A worker died in one of several explosions at the plant.

In addition to steam, the city also developed a chilled water system for summer cooling of downtown buildings.

By 1994, the city of Akron had invested $100 million in cutting-edge technology to make the RES plant work. Without the cooperation of trash customers in the county, insufficient fuel was being generated to allow the plant to operate efficiently.

In October, 1994, after the EPA identified the RES plant as a source of dioxin in the air, Mayor Plusquellic shuttered the Recycle operation, rather than invest an additional $30 million to eliminate the dioxins."

Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 AM

Soooo... complete streets! Who wants to go for a bike ride?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:28 AM

367 posts, read 622,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Cleveland passes Complete Streets: Parsing ODOT's 'cost more' quote | GreenCityBlueLake

This is the kind of progressive thinking that will solidify Cleveland not only as a Healthy City... but a COMEBACK city.

I was thinking about going car free wherever I end up... Minneapolis beat Cleveland entirely in terms of bikeability and walkability.

Soon, Minneapolis will have one fewer thing over Cleveland. News like this is what is helping me solidify my goals of moving to NEOH. Seeya soon, guys.

The PD's take:
Cleveland council OKs 'Complete and Green Streets' legislation | cleveland.com

For those who are unaware of Complete Streets, just imagine streets that are extra pedestrian and bike friendly a-la Euclid Ave.

I'm really hoping that there's a second BRT line put in similar to the Healthline soon! I think one going along Detroit Ave. into Lakewood from downtown would be stellar. Send it down Superior Ave. and link it with the Healthline or Coventry.

Another one that'd be interesting would be a Lakefront line in order to help spur waterfront development.

To spur waterfront development, Burke Lakefront must go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland