Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

While I don't like the Ravens, I absolutely DESPISE the Steelers! My reasoning is simple; we have virtually no Baltimore Ravens fans in Cleveland. We do on the other hand have a TON of Steelers fans in this city! Only in Cleveland would the rival team have such a huge presence! I know a lot of Steelers fans relocated from WPA, and I don't have a problem with them. My issue is with the wanna be Ohio born Steelers fans. It's also the fact that we constantly have to hear their dribble about how great they are, and acting like football only started in the early 70s when they won their first championship after 40 years of absolute sucktitude! We don't have Ravens fans here rubbing it in our face, so for me it's easy.

Also, it's time to put to bed the whole move. We have our team, history, and colors, and Modell is no longer a factor in Baltimore. I recommend reading the book "Fumble." It was written from an insiders perspective, and sheds a lot of light on the situation that transpired with the Browns moving to Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
It had a lot to do with perception and, let's face it, Modell was never very well liked. He also put his face in front of the controversy with his "build me a new stadium or else" rhetoric. The way he and his front office treated Kosar on his way out didn't endear him to many either. Lerner likely knew that the only way to get the guy out of town was to lure the rat out with cheese. And, that's pretty much how it went down. Then, Lerner and his group swooped in and re-established the Browns franchise in record time. People were so happy to have their team back and the hatred for Modell was brimming so much that people largely ignored Lerner's role. In Lerner's defense, it was no secret that ol' Artie was looking to move the team anyway so he could "compete" in a new stadium -- even though 82,000 fans filled the old one (that he leased from the city for $1) nearly every game and the Browns turned a sizeable profit every single year.

You hit the nail on the head!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:01 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
While I don't like the Ravens, I absolutely DESPISE the Steelers! My reasoning is simple; we have virtually no Baltimore Ravens fans in Cleveland. We do on the other hand have a TON of Steelers fans in this city! Only in Cleveland would the rival team have such a huge presence! I know a lot of Steelers fans relocated from WPA, and I don't have a problem with them. My issue is with the wanna be Ohio born Steelers fans. It's also the fact that we constantly have to hear their dribble about how great they are, and acting like football only started in the early 70s when they won their first championship after 40 years of absolute sucktitude! We don't have Ravens fans here rubbing it in our face, so for me it's easy.
Not necessarily. For example, there are a ton of Green Bay fans in Chicago. I know many of them.

Quote:
Also, it's time to put to bed the whole move. We have our team, history, and colors, and Modell is no longer a factor in Baltimore. I recommend reading the book "Fumble." It was written from an insiders perspective, and sheds a lot of light on the situation that transpired with the Browns moving to Baltimore.
It was "put to bed" in 1999, but that doesn't make the situation any less interesting. It also can be learned from (basically, in how not to do things from an ownership perspective). Also, Modell will always be a factor in Baltimore whether he owns the team or not. Just ask your average Baltimore fan who is old enough to remember the "midnight move" what he or she thinks about Irsay. It happened over 25 years ago and they still hate the guy.

Also, I found "Fumble!" to be a little more apologetic towards Modell than it should have been. The Stadium deal he had was a sweetheart deal, to say the least. Yes, it was an old building that cost a bit to maintain (and, they did the bare minimum, at that). Yes, he lost the Indians as a tenant. But, he paid NOTHING for the place for 25 years! Had the guy had better business sense and a lot more tact, a new stadium would have been built in due time. The proof to the statement currently sits on the lakefront. Modell and his me-first attitude was his ultimate downfall.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:12 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

There are lots of Steelers fans in southern Ohio too...my take on the Browns move to Baltimore is a taxpayer bailout for Modell.They should call Baltimore the Stealers....

Old 10-07-2011, 04:05 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Amen!

Baltimore fans are no better than a bunch of dirty yinzers if ya ask me!

Question: Why is it that Cleveland is the only city in the AFC North that can speak with proper english??

Baltimore dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pittsburgh English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Midland American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
<-- click here

Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
There are not a "ton" of Steelers fans in Ohio. Maybe some gay guys here or there. But 90%+ of football fans in Cleveland are Browns fans. I literally cannot think of one single Baltisore fan in Cleveland, like seriously.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I honestly don't know a single person who has EVER rooted for those ratbirds. Every person I know hates the Baltimore Ravens and wishes nothing but the worst for them and Art Modell.

Cleveland_Collector did bring up the most ironic fact about the whole situation. Still boggles my mind how the Lerner family never got grief for their part in the ordeal.

Regardless, GO BROWNS and F**K the Ravens AND Steelers!!
lol that's funny, Steelers and Ravens are the only teams in the AFC north that can even make it to the playoffs, Cincy has a lucky year here and there but for the most part sucks, and Cleveland is stuck in the land of Mediocrity. Last Steelers-Browns game: 41-9 Pittsburgh,

Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
lol that's funny, Steelers and Ravens are the only teams in the AFC north that can even make it to the playoffs, Cincy has a lucky year here and there but for the most part sucks, and Cleveland is stuck in the land of Mediocrity. Last Steelers-Browns game: 41-9 Pittsburgh,
LOL! It's funny that is so boring on the Pittsburgh boards that a Pitt native's gotta come to a Cleveland board to troll.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Question: Why is it that Cleveland is the only city in the AFC North that can speak with proper english??
Please?

I will give you this: Cleveland is the only city in the AFC North where people can properly drive an automobile.

I'm not sure that's saying much, but there it is.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
LOL....that's all I'll say. I had more written, however I like this site and don't feel like getting banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland