Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:38 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Actually Chicago has been declining in population, and took a big nose dive this past census.

I don't want Cleveland to be like Chicago. From major corruption, to areas on the southside that make Detroit look nice, to a high COL.

Cleveland is going in the right path, and already has its own identity, it just needs to build off of that. I am about to post a new thread, and it is about who I believe to be the new director of MOCA (a transplant like myself) who speaks of Cleveland just how I and many others who are not natives to this area see the region. Great article too, so look into it.
Where on the south side are these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 01:41 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Keep Cleveland quirky and make it a jobs magnet for western PA and New York as well...and not so much Iowa, Wisconsin etc. states like Chicago is...but hey, population growth is population growth.
This is a good idea and something that's not stressed enough.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Obviously Chicago is much larger and Cleveland isn't really an international destination like Chicago is. Actually Chicago has lost population as well, and without the huge number of immigrants coming to Chicago (especially Mexicans) Chicago would have probably lost nearly as much as Cleveland.

I've been saying that Cleveland reminds me of a mini-Chicago though. The cities have a ton in common, although Cleveland seems about about 15-20 years behind.
There are some things in common between the two cities, but, having lived on the north side of Chicago, I didn't care for the vibe, imo, of the people overall...south/southwest siders were OK for the most part.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:22 PM

261 posts, read 588,728 times
I've heard some people take issue with the fact that things are scattered in Cleveland. But at the same time I think that is part of Cleveland's quirkiness and it's something that can be worked around. Cleveland's amenities are scattered across both sides of town which isn't really a bad thing, it does force you to see other sides of the city. In Chicago you would rarely find a reason to leave the north side bubble and travel across town to the other side, whereas I often find myself hopping on the Red Line from UC going to W 25th and beyond.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:40 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Englewood, West Englwood, Altgeld Gardens, Grand Crossing, South Shore, Roseland, Avalon Park, Pill Hill, Woodlawn, Washington Park etc...

Old 11-19-2011, 04:14 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Cleveland is making some positive strides, but it is not becoming a miniature version of Chicago. This is a good thing, as Cleveland (FTMP) has its own identity which it should maintain.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:29 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I don't remember the street names or neighborhoods. I don't know Chicago off the top of my head. I will have to retrace the areas that I was in this past summer. Trust me, it wasn't pretty.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:57 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Cleveland beats Chicago in a few Catagories right now, such as Medicine (3rd or 4th in the country).

Old 11-19-2011, 07:01 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post
I've heard some people take issue with the fact that things are scattered in Cleveland. But at the same time I think that is part of Cleveland's quirkiness and it's something that can be worked around. Cleveland's amenities are scattered across both sides of town which isn't really a bad thing, it does force you to see other sides of the city. In Chicago you would rarely find a reason to leave the north side bubble and travel across town to the other side, whereas I often find myself hopping on the Red Line from UC going to W 25th and beyond.
the "scattering" is what forced me to ultimately buy a car ...

Old 11-21-2011, 01:50 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Scarlet, unless you wanted to be relegated to buses like you would be in Cleveland, you pretty much need a car in Chicagoland unless you live (and stay) within the loop or within a few blocks of the CTA stations. That's why getting a parking spot on the street is next to impossible -- everyone outside of the loop has a car unless they truly can't afford one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland