Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times

Advertisements

well if you like Little Italy and University Circle, there are currently one unit left of this very handsome development. I believe it is for sale for $590K and a 15-year tax abatement (no property taxes). 27 units were built this year, 26 have sold:

http://coltman27.com/

I see kids running around Little Italy as the time.

PM me if you have any questions about Little Italy/University Circle.

Private school opens the door for you to live here, plus zero upkeep. Also the area is walking distance to all the museums, Cleveland Orchesrta, restaurants, Tony Brush park, etc. I'd call the number in the link to confirm there is still a unit available.

Last edited by costello_musicman; 12-15-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
$590thou????????? You gotta be kidding me

Old 12-15-2011, 02:18 PM

130 posts, read 299,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbo55 View Post
When you are young, you are not thinking so much about being in a position where you have to sell a house in the next ten or so years to implement a retirement budget vs buying something that you can retire to. Time itself is a bigger consideration. With the economy being as uncertain as what it is, resale in Shaker Hieghts with high taxes and bordering crime kind of scares us. However, I am really excited about moving to Cleveland, I have visited several times without considering moving there and have LOVED university circle, Downtown, Little Italy...I'm just not sure that those are places to raise a child
It sounds to me that you would just love Bratenahl Place (specifically this place not just Bratenahl in general). I completely understand you being worried that it is near the high crime area of East Cleveland. I too was worried about it when we purchased a home in Bratenahl just two streets over from Bratenahl Place. Honestly though...my thought is that if the blight can flow into Bratenahl...would the community continue to be what it is after all these years? It remains the second highest income place in NE Ohio and 6th highest income place in the entire state. Bratenahl Place specifically is gated with 24 hour security and you are right night door to one of the most prestigious yacht clubs in Ohio. They are still there so I'm sure that says something. From what I've seen personally...there are woman who walk their dogs around at night when it's completely dark out, ALONE. I don't know anything about grocery though? I don't even know where people in the area go to get their groceries yet.

The way I see it...

Pros:
-Since its such a wealthy community, I'm willing to bet that the majority is of a more mature age such as yourself and families second
-You are literally right on the lake
-It has a pool (I'm sure junior would love this)
-So much beautiful landscaping, PLENTY of room for junior to run around and play
-24/7 Gated w/ Security
-Fitness center
-Concierge
-Restaurants and spas on site
-ZERO UPKEEP, you have all the amenities that ANYONE could want...true luxury living
-Close to great private school
-Close to everything including the airport

Beachwood Place - 20 minute drive

Cedar Lee Theatre - 16 minute drive

Cleveland Botanical Garden - 10 minute drive

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo - 15 minute drive

The Cleveland Museum of Art- 10 minute drive

Cleveland Museum of Natural History - 10 minute drive

The Cleveland Orchestra (Severance Hall) - 10 minute drive

Cleveland Playhouse - 12 minute drive

Cleveland Public Theatre - 13 minute drive

Crawford Auto Aviation Museum (http://www.wrhs.org/index.php/crawford - broken link) - 10 minute drive

Crocker Park (http://www.bratenahlplace.com/www.crockerpark.com/ - broken link) - 30 minute drive

East 4th Street District - 11 minute drive

Great Lakes Science Center - 8 minute drive

House of Blues - 10 minute drive

Lakeside Yacht Club (http://www.bratenahlplace.com/www.lakesideyachtclub.com/ - broken link) - 8 minute drive

Legacy Village - 20 minute drive

Little Italy - 12 minute drive

Ohio City - 8 minute drive

Omnimax Theatre - 8 minute drive

Playhouse Square Theatre District- 8 minute drive

Rock And Roll Hall of Fame - 8 minute drive

Shoreby Club - 1 minute drive

Tower City Center - 10 minute drive

Tower City Cinemas - 10 minute drive

Warehouse District - 10 minute drive

The West Side Market - 8 minute drive

Cons:
-High HOA fees
-Not walkable to any local attractions (besides thor shorby club in which you need to be a member)
-Bad Cleveland public school systems (doesn't affect you since you are going private anyways)
-I don't really know much else since I haven't even moved in yet.

Overall...this place just seems (to me at least) perfect for all of your needs especially you being worried about needing it to be a good place to retire in case you are stuck with your property. Who knows? unless you are looking for tropical beaches...you may even WANT to stay there for when you retire. Anyways...hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbo55 View Post
My husband and I are in our late 50s and raising a five year old (grandchild). We are relocating to Cleveland because of work and are looking at areas on line. We will be buying a home and would like to own something that does not require the upkeep that we have been used to in the big homes (and yards) in which we raised our family. We will likely spend 350 to 600,000. Our grandchild will likely attend private school. We desire a community that is kid friendly but also could be a locale where we could live part time after retirement if the housing crisis continues and we have difficulty selling in the years ahead. We would sure appreciate any suggestions.
Please consider the North Royalton area,,..Its ideal to raise children..We just moved over here and with the price range you're talking, you would be very happy over here...The North Royalton schools have been featured in Forbes Business Magazine and rates 10 in the Nation....There would be no need for private schools unless that was what you wanted...

Old 12-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Yeah, but these places have to be thee best place to live in Little Italy/University Circle. They are a three-story townhomes that include rooftop villa area with has incredible views of the Downtown skyline and the rest of University Circle. I know the developer could not build them fast enough. I'd see Amish there every day this year knocking out the construction and as there were finishing, people would be moving in with their furniture. I'm seen a few families move in as well.

I'm thinking this last unit may be gone too...but I'd say it's very much worth a call if this is in their price range.

With the way University Circle is becoming one of the best places to live in the Midwest (cultural, historic, world-diversity, world-class institutions, educated people moving in, and food! etc), I'd say this place may be the hottest ticket in town for a completely custom, zero-maintenance home...plus the unexpected sense of community for being a part of University Circle.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 PM

7 posts, read 11,532 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I was not familiar with this site and it is amazing to me that strangers are willing to go to the effort to offer specific suggestion and opinion. Your love of Cleveland shines. I feel enthusiastic about moving to a city that residents convey such a connection to. I truly appreciate your helpfulness and will use these leads.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
And there's one left...
People DO have money in this town, my friend. Don't believe everything you read.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
I could have sworn they were going for about $300-$330k (a friend of mine and her finance were looking into housing and they were price checking some places, including what I had thought was Coltman - ironically to the topic, they ended up buying in Shaker).

Let me just say that if these places really cost nearly $600k, and I still find that hard to believe, and they're practically sold out, which is also somewhat shocking given the economy, then clearly I know nothing about Cleveland real estate and can't be trusted. I'm still in shock - $590,000. Unbelievable.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Yeah, but these places have to be thee best place to live in Little Italy/University Circle. They are a three-story townhomes that include rooftop villa area with has incredible views of the Downtown skyline and the rest of University Circle. I know the developer could not build them fast enough. I'd see Amish there every day this year knocking out the construction and as there were finishing, people would be moving in with their furniture. I'm seen a few families move in as well.

I'm thinking this last unit may be gone too...but I'd say it's very much worth a call if this is in their price range.

With the way University Circle is becoming one of the best places to live in the Midwest (cultural, historic, world-diversity, world-class institutions, educated people moving in, and food! etc), I'd say this place may be the hottest ticket in town for a completely custom, zero-maintenance home...plus the unexpected sense of community for being a part of University Circle.
Are Coltman the new ones on Euclid, or the new ones in Little Italy? The ones on Euclid could have used a better color scheme. The ones in Little Italy look amazing.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Are Coltman the new ones on Euclid, or the new ones in Little Italy? The ones on Euclid could have used a better color scheme. The ones in Little Italy look amazing.
Little Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland