U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,477 times
Default Purchasing a house west of Lee Road in Shaker Heights (Onaway)

We are going to buy a house in Shaker. We have been told by an opinionated relative (who doesn't live in Shaker) "Don't live West of Lee." We looked at a homes on Aberdeen and Chadbourne and they look like great neighborhoods to us, but this will be our first home purchase and we are trying not to screw it up.

Any input is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 AM

766 posts, read 1,049,742 times
Onaway is a safe street and in a great middle class neighborhood. I know someone who lives right on the corner of Chadbourne and Onaway, and has never had any problems. The worst I've heard of in that area has been a few house break ins. Wonderful area for families, lots of kids running around, near the school "complex". I would have no qualms about moving there, one of the best, most friendly neighborhoods in Shaker.

Last edited by AGuyFromCleveland18; 01-06-2012 at 01:19 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 AM

709 posts, read 890,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Onaway is a safe street and in a great middle class neighborhood. I know someone who lives right on the corner of Chadbourne and Onaway, and has never had any problems. The worst I've heard of in that area has been a few house break ins. Wonderful area for families, lots of kids running around, near the school "complex". I would have no qualms about moving there, one of the best, most friendly neighborhoods in Shaker.
I have to agree. I now live in North Royalton, but grew up near lee/harvard area. We had friends who lived near Onaway and they loved it. Its a safe area, although not what it used to be, meaning back in the seventies, when I grew up around there, it was really safe, but none the less, still nice and safe..I don't think that area will change much..

Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 AM
jmv

92 posts, read 97,548 times
You will love the Onaway neighborhood and if you have elementary age children, Onaway school is fantastic. The neighborhood is filled with children and you will be within walking distance to elementary (Onaway), upper elementary (Woodbury) and Shaker Heights High School (where President Obama just spoke for the second time in two years, I might add!). I heard that that neighborhood might have an outdoor skating rink this year on the corner of Fernway and Warrington. Shaker is a great community. You can't go wrong.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 PM

227 posts, read 412,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmv View Post
You will love the Onaway neighborhood and if you have elementary age children, Onaway school is fantastic. The neighborhood is filled with children and you will be within walking distance to elementary (Onaway), upper elementary (Woodbury) and Shaker Heights High School (where President Obama just spoke for the second time in two years, I might add!). I heard that that neighborhood might have an outdoor skating rink this year on the corner of Fernway and Warrington. Shaker is a great community. You can't go wrong.
Ditto.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 AM

152 posts, read 244,907 times
Default I was told the same thing

I wish I would not have listened. We live in Fernway. Most of the houses in Onaway are larger and still in a good price range. We love Fernway but would love the extra size. Kids will be close (walk) to the Elem, lower midd and H.S. They will get get bused to upper midd. You will be close to Shaker Square and the rapid.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM

709 posts, read 890,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit18b View Post
I wish I would not have listened. We live in Fernway. Most of the houses in Onaway are larger and still in a good price range. We love Fernway but would love the extra size. Kids will be close (walk) to the Elem, lower midd and H.S. They will get get bused to upper midd. You will be close to Shaker Square and the rapid.
...You still live in a very nice area though...

Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,940,450 times
West of Lee Road is fine and day I say, depending on the part of SH you're talking about, still probably going to be one of the nicest and unique neighborhoods in Cuyahoga County.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,660,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
I have to agree. I now live in North Royalton, but grew up near lee/harvard area. We had friends who lived near Onaway and they loved it. Its a safe area, although not what it used to be, meaning back in the seventies, when I grew up around there, it was really safe, but none the less, still nice and safe..I don't think that area will change much..
Well I currently live right where you are talking about and there are at least 3 or 4 families with small children (incl. ours) right in that vacinity, and we play outside all the time. It's great for families.....if you can afford to live here (easier nowadays than a decade or so ago). If someone said not to live West of Lee that MAY be decent advice for most of Lee Ave but not the part in Shaker. In fact, I'd say don't live west of Van Aken, but there is a microfraction of properties that are actually West of Van Aken in Shaker, so it's not an issue. My other advice WOULD have been not to live South of Chagrin or Van Aken, but our family is looking at this area now because it's a relative bargain compared to much of the city, but is quite close to some ROUGH areas near the Lee/Harvard parts of Cleveland.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,660,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit18b View Post
We want a home on Fernway or Lomond (Fernway is better though). Onaway is great but it IS a highly trafficed route for HS kids going back and forth to the RTA, so lots of commotion on schooldays and there are places where yards are strewn with trash that the kids leave around. Not my cup of tea, per se, but it's not my house and some people don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: