Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:34 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times

Advertisements

If you've moved away or lived away for any amount of time, share what you missed while away.

I was born and raised in Cleveland. Lived there for my first 39 years but have been living in Austin for almost 5 years. I love it here and have no plans to move back to Cleveland anytime soon but it's not because I don't like the city of Cleveland or Ohio. I still have great love for my hometown city. Things I sometimes miss:

1.) The great Italian food. Down here, Mexican food replaces Italian food as far as availability and quality. Great, great choices. Italian? Not too much. There weren't a lot of Italians that made their way down here last century

2.) Pro sports. These days, it's much easier to watch any game you want - but sometimes I miss going to a game in person. I've seen the Cavaliers play in San Antonio and it was fun but not like being in Cleveland!

3.) The West Side market. Lots of farmers markets but nothing like the West Side Market!

4.) Lake Erie! Lots of big lakes down here but the Great Lakes are a site to behold. The biggest problem with Cleveland is its lack of access to the lake. Shameful, really.

5.) Architecture. Cleveland has some really wonderful old buildings, even the great, old Bauhaus warehouses. I love the old industrial remnants.

I look forward to seeing what others come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 AM

256 posts, read 736,402 times
1. I miss knowing that anytime day or night I have a hand full of people I can call that would be there for me no matter what.

2. The verdant country side

3. Being hugged everywhere I go because I know everyone.

4. Feeling connected.

5. The seasons

6 The Food

7. Feeling Home

8. The grittiness

9. The history of the area

10.People don't move a lot there.

11. Thunderstorms

Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
What I miss about Austin:
  • The SRV Statue
  • Eeyore's Birthday party
  • 6th Street

I used to go every year until a friend of mine left.

Sorry. Didn't mean to sidetrack.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:15 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
A good thunderstorm with lightning and pouring down rain and of course most of all, family.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
The 1980 era Cleveland Browns gameday excitement.
The days when the Indians had sell out streak at the Jake.
Downtown Chagrin.
Tower City when had high quality stores.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
A good thunderstorm with lightning and pouring down rain and of course most of all, family.
We have some epic TS down here in Texas...scared the sh*t out of me when I first moved here

Old 01-24-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
The 1980 era Cleveland Browns gameday excitement.
The days when the Indians had sell out streak at the Jake.
Downtown Chagrin.
Tower City when had high quality stores.
Yeah, those were great days for the Browns. It makes me sad that practically a whole generation sees them as one of the worst franchises in the NFL.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,123 times
10 years in Cleveland, close to 1.5 in Seattle. Miss:

1) The better Spring and Fall weather in Cleveland.
2) University Circle, Coventry and Cleveland Heights areas with the youthful energy.
3) Laid back vibe in Euclid (where I last lived) and ability to purchase dirt cheap house next to the Euclid beaches.
4) Far more colorful politicians, such as the crossdresser, the drunk who did not pay at parking meters, the obese one who banged his car on tv and who lived in a mansion, mayor Jackson who I still can't believe is black etc...
5) Whiskey Island volleyball.
6) A large Starbucks and the at that time a cool new restaurant called Melt, both in Cleveland Heights.
7) Algebra in little Italy.

Definitely do not miss the winters, the much worse police as far as ticketing and following you goes, the much worse crime rate, and the fewer things to do in comparison to Seattle.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
I've been missing Little Italy like mad - the one in Chicago is pathetic.
Tommy's
Tremont/Great Lakes Brewery in OC
Hanging with my nieces and nephews at Eton, playing giant size chess
Drunken summer volleyball at Whiskey Island
Salsa dancing at Ceviche
Lakewood Park in the summer and fall
Chagrin Falls
The dollar theater in Williboughi (always butcher its spelling) Hills
The glory years of W6 (04-07 or so)
Going to the Kos as a teen
Swing dancing at the Bohemian Center in Slavic Village

Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Yeah, those were great days for the Browns. It makes me sad that practically a whole generation sees them as one of the worst franchises in the NFL.

What happened to Bernie Kosar and the real dawg pound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland