Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:31 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Like my wife and I did, to New Mexico. It's rough to make such a move. It can be draining, emotionally, financially. But we did it, and were OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Guy View Post
I may be moving to NH to take a good job. I don't want to leave, but there is not much keeping me here.
To newmex: My wife and I just did that two weeks ago, from Lakewood to Austin, TX. You're right, it is all of those things you mentioned but we can already feel a difference in our mindset

To Music Guy: Do it man. Go somewhere else for awhile and if you hate it, go back to Cleveland and bring a fresh point of view. I think that's what the city needs.

We were sad to leave as well. We were born and raised in the Cleveland area and always waved its flag proudly but...The atmosphere and inertia there was starting to wear on us big-time. The leadership in that city has been second-rate for 40 years and is keeping the city down. That status-quo mentality has trickled down to many of its citizens who have come to expect less-than-adequate results(look at Browns fans) and therefore aren't really involved and active in local politics. And like I mentioned earlier, if Greater Cleveland as a whole(through city annexation/incorporation) could vote for the leadership of the city, some of these scammers would have to be more accountable. Cleveland is also way too fat in terms of council members. There are too many now as the city has shrunk.

For example:
Cleveland has a population of roughly 478,000 and has 21 city council members elected by each district, each with their own agenda. It has about 8,700 city employees.

Austin, TX has a population of roughly 710,000(as of 2007) and has 7 city council members elected by the entire city. Which means all of them have to answer to Austin at large. The scrutiny seems to be fairly intense, as it should be for public officials. It has about 10,700 city employees.

Columbus, Ohio has a population of roughly 712,000 and has 7 city council members elected "at large" just like Austin. It has about 7,700 city workers.

Portland, Ore has a population of roughly 530,000 and has 5 city council members elected to staggered 4 year terms. It has about 7,700 city employees.

This is not meant to pile on Cleveland and trumpet the superiority of other cities over Cleveland. People choose to live in cities for different reasons. My point is, that data suggests that Cleveland needs to downsize its political infrastructure to match the size of the city. As currently constituted the city just resembles big churn of butter, with each mayor taking turns churning the same mixture over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 32,468 times
Default what could be done to make Cleveland better?

Getting out from under the rule of the Cuyahoga County Commisioners. These lugs are all about themselves and not Cleveland or Cuyahoga County. Consider the bizarre goings on about the old Cleveland Trust buildings? How much did that cost us? I know that everyone says to think regional today with the Cleveland + marketing program, but I haven't figured out what it does for people and businesses in Cleveland.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Its just the job market, and then the people who can move out, do.
That was the #1 reason I moved out. I lost my job due to downsizing, in 4 months, I couldn't find anything in Cleveland, or Columbus for that matter, even w/ my OSU degree, then I started looking at other areas of the country, and where I had only 2 interviews even in 4 months in Cleveland, I was able to line up several interviews over a 2 week period in both the Charlotte area and Atlanta area. I got 3 job offers from those, and took the one in Charlotte. I'm very thankful, I had a 6 month emergency fund saved up, though to make it through.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:28 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
To newmex: My wife and I just did that two weeks ago, from Lakewood to Austin, TX. You're right, it is all of those things you mentioned but we can already feel a difference in our mindset

To Music Guy: Do it man. Go somewhere else for awhile and if you hate it, go back to Cleveland and bring a fresh point of view. I think that's what the city needs.

We were sad to leave as well. We were born and raised in the Cleveland area and always waved its flag proudly but...The atmosphere and inertia there was starting to wear on us big-time. The leadership in that city has been second-rate for 40 years and is keeping the city down. That status-quo mentality has trickled down to many of its citizens who have come to expect less-than-adequate results(look at Browns fans) and therefore aren't really involved and active in local politics. And like I mentioned earlier, if Greater Cleveland as a whole(through city annexation/incorporation) could vote for the leadership of the city, some of these scammers would have to be more accountable. Cleveland is also way too fat in terms of council members. There are too many now as the city has shrunk.

For example:
Cleveland has a population of roughly 478,000 and has 21 city council members elected by each district, each with their own agenda. It has about 8,700 city employees.

Austin, TX has a population of roughly 710,000(as of 2007) and has 7 city council members elected by the entire city. Which means all of them have to answer to Austin at large. The scrutiny seems to be fairly intense, as it should be for public officials. It has about 10,700 city employees.

Columbus, Ohio has a population of roughly 712,000 and has 7 city council members elected "at large" just like Austin. It has about 7,700 city workers.

Portland, Ore has a population of roughly 530,000 and has 5 city council members elected to staggered 4 year terms. It has about 7,700 city employees.

This is not meant to pile on Cleveland and trumpet the superiority of other cities over Cleveland. People choose to live in cities for different reasons. My point is, that data suggests that Cleveland needs to downsize its political infrastructure to match the size of the city. As currently constituted the city just resembles big churn of butter, with each mayor taking turns churning the same mixture over and over.
Charlotte is the same way, for a city of roughly 750,000, it has I believe 9 councilmen, and maybe 7,000 employees. Even it sometimes feels bloated though. But if Cleveland cut out those jobs, there's even more unemployment for one of the most unemployed cities out there.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Talking What Cleveland Needs and Doesn't Need

Cleveland Needs a whole lot less Crime, if we want to bring back all the White people that ran away to the suburbs. lol

We are told, ad nauseam (that means until it makes you want to puke), that Cleveland needs:

~more housing (even though we already have 10,000 vacant houses! lol)

~more busses and trains (even though we already have a huge and extremely expensive public transportation system, that by the way, is already more than we can afford! And, by the way, a whole lot more than we need to bring White people back from the suburbs! lol)

~a change in "land use policy" (this is just a generic term for zoning laws; in English this means: where you can build "stuff" and where you can't. Our zoning laws are not holding Cleveland back or keeping Whites out! lol This is just some stupid crap politicians talk about, when they wanna sound like they really care. Believe me, when they sound like that, THEY DON'T!)

~another stupid and extremely expensive attraction. lol (just shut up! You're gonna make me pee my pants, from laughing my arse off! The last article I read about White people going Downtown, they got caught in a RIOT!!! and were hiding in the corner of a building, clutching their babies and no doubt, praying!)

So, you wanna bring The White people back to good old C-Town!? Well, I tell you what, you either better start giving away big chunks of shiny gold or CLEAN UP THE CRIME!

Old 07-03-2008, 03:31 AM

Lightbulb Other stupid ideas from our elites

Some of Cleveland's elites "believe" that Cleveland needs super awesome educational programs. Now, even the homeless guy living on the freeway off ramp knows that the schools need improvement, IN SAFETY!!!!! Gee whiz, do our elites read??? Asa Coon ring a bell? You know, the kid who just shot four people and then shot himself in the face at "Success Tech." I'm not kidding, that's really the name of the school. Now I know kids going postal at schools happens in the burbs too, but it's an odds game. You know, what are the odds of your child BEING SHOT AT?!?! Gee Cleveland Elites, do you think that might have a little something to do with parent's "educational choices?"

Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 AM

Wink My favorite of the stupid ideas from our elites

Apparently, Cleveland's elites believe that the White people in the suburbs surrounding Cleveland have been "ignoring" Cleveland and spending all their time in their own communities. Gee, ya think!? Did Cleveland's elites give a rat's behind about the people that fled their schemes? Did they care about the communities that THEY uprooted? NO. No, no, no and no. So, why should any of the people they chased away give a rat's behind about them? Well, that's obvious, they shouldn't and guess what. They don't!

When Cleveland's Elites learn to humble themselves and start really caring about what is really important to all the White people in the suburbs, then maybe some of them will begin the very slow process of moving back to a place that they learned the hard way, to not trust.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 AM

Exclamation All time dumbest idea

Get the Federal Government to bail out the whole freaking city! Yeah, they could do it! They print money, just print us a whole bunch baby and we'll be on our way to prosperity land! Right? No. This is such a freaking fairy tale. Cleveland would never quit bleeding cash from America and Cleveland is JUST ONE CITY of many that are like this! Somebody has to pay for all these handouts!

Old 07-03-2008, 05:18 AM

Arrow Most retarded idea to date

Some of our elites believe that people need to "respect" and really care about having a place where: it is easy to get around and the ballpark, museum and zoo are all close by.

Apparently, these brain damaged elites believe that living in an amusement park is really important to people's lives. You know, like it is a core value or something. Look boneheads, if you never ever go to a major league ball game, visit a world class museum or smell elephant **** up close, IT WILL BE O.K.!!!
On the other hand, if you get shot, stabbed, tied up and lit on fire, it will not be o.k.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:43 AM

Post Someone actually thinks this...

Apparently, some bozo who is a big chief around C-Town believes that if Ohio had less "government," then more White people would live in Cleveland, instead of in the suburbs. roflmao this one actually brought tears to my eyes, that is, tears of laughter. Alrighty, if Ohio cuts its "government" in half today, one year from now, Cleveland would still be losing population. Furthermore, if Ohio actually went to anarchy (no government), White people would just move deeper into the sticks or OUT OF THE FREAKING STATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland