U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-03-2008, 05:17 PM

27,028 posts, read 22,457,124 times

Advertisements

Now the topic of Cleveland. Cleveland has a sort of harsh beauty. Art Deco and neoclassical architecture grace the cityscape. You also have ecclesiatical architecture, especially the onion-domed St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Sort of a neogothic look to it. If it snows(which is a given in Cleveland), it has sort of a European look. That beauty is often coupled with the abandoned mills so ubiquitous to Cleveland. When I was in the hospital, I talked to someone who came from a city similar to Cleveland(he came from Buffalo). According to him there are alot of abandoned steel mills around and they are full of asbestos and no one knows what to do with them. I am thinking that Cleveland has the potential to rise. Cleveland got the Browns back. Cleveland is having alot of problems, but its position on a lake has some potential for great things. Right now Cleveland is relatively cheap in cost of living. If Cleveland can attract businesses to its city, clean up in some places, and get crime under control, Cleveland can rise again. There is an energy situation(no detalis necessary) in America and being on a lake, Cleveland could harness the power of wind energy from the lake.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 PM

21 posts, read 39,934 times
Cleveland boomed as a industrial\automotive city. As these trades started to struggle so did Cleveland along with other rust belt cities. Its no secret.
However, now people living in places that are booming feel the need to point out the demise of these places and how everyone living there should move to one of the "Top 10 fastest growing city in the US". Unfortunatly the list could be completly different in 10 years. Nothing is forever and a run away because times are tough attitude is not the answer.
Cleveland is transforming into a health care city. It is exciting to watch.
When your city turns into the "next Cleveland" I hope your neighbors have as much pride and love for their home town as mine and can work through it.

Am I they only one who finds it a little odd that I can get world class health care in a DYING CITY.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H-I-O View Post
Cleveland boomed as a industrial\automotive city. As these trades started to struggle so did Cleveland along with other rust belt cities. Its no secret.However, now people living in places that are booming feel the need to point out the demise of these places and how everyone living there should move to one of the "Top 10 fastest growing city in the US". Unfortunatly the list could be completly different in 10 years. Nothing is forever and a run away because times are tough attitude is not the answer.
Cleveland is transforming into a health care city. It is exciting to watch.
When your city turns into the "next Cleveland" I hope your neighbors have as much pride and love for their home town as mine and can work through it.

Am I they only one who finds it a little odd that I can get world class health care in a DYING CITY.
You hit the nail on the hammer.

Cleveland might be considered a "dying city", but it's a major league city and what I notice about most cities of that caliber is that health care is better. Large cities tend to have better health care because there are more doctors there and better established health care. If I'm wrong, correct me if you will.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:28 AM

978 posts, read 505,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Wow. Personal attacks. What do YOU really want?
Reflecting back what you said to me doesn't = a personal attack. And what I'd like is a straight answer from you, but I don't think that is on your agenda

Last edited by Chef Boyardee; 10-04-2008 at 12:40 AM..

Old 10-04-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Reflecting back what you said to me doesn't = a personal attack. And what I'd like is a straight answer from you, but I don't think that is on your agenda
Here is the answer. What I really want is to be able to live anywhere I want and travel anywhere I want(and legally I can with the exception of certain military places) not have race be the deciding factor of whether or not I can. Unfortunately, it appears that there are many people out there who want to keep me from doing so.

Now back to the topic. I do not believe that freedom to live where one wants causes a city to die. Cities decline the quickest when the economy of a place is dying too. This isn't just a Cleveland problem.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 AM

I just heard on the news that the booming state of California wants to borrow 7 billion from the government. To pay its bills!

The whole state of CA is dying. Its very sad. Every one better pick up and move to Canada where this sort of thing doesnt happen.

On a side note. When a Cleveland sports team wins a championship(NFL, MLB, NBA) which will happen within the next few years. All of you Cleveland bashers will be in awe of how an entire city of true blue, die hard, rain, snow or shine sports fans celebrate. Cleveland is home to the greatest fans in the world bar none.

If you dont agree ill be forced to throw beer bottles at you then flip your car over and set it on fire. J\K

Old 10-04-2008, 12:10 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,023,603 times
Quote:
I just heard on the news that the booming state of California wants to borrow 7 billion from the government. To pay its bills!

The whole state of CA is dying. Its very sad. Every one better pick up and move to Canada where this sort of thing doesnt happen.

On a side note. When a Cleveland sports team wins a championship(NFL, MLB, NBA) which will happen within the next few years. All of you Cleveland bashers will be in awe of how an entire city of true blue, die hard, rain, snow or shine sports fans celebrate. Cleveland is home to the greatest fans in the world bar none.

If you dont agree ill be forced to throw beer bottles at you then flip your car over and set it on fire. J\K
ohio does have the best, most loyal fans, though imho, you guys up north are a little too forgiving of blatant mismanagement .

Old 10-04-2008, 12:37 PM

I couldnt agree more. Romeo must GO!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:38 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,023,603 times
Quote:
I couldnt agree more. Romeo must GO!
but first, mike brown, danny ferry, eric wedge, and mark shapiro.

sure, romeo couldn't manage a clock if it was on his wrist, but it isn't his fault his boss traded away his only decent player in the secondary, signed a one-year-wonder to a 30 million deal after giving away a first and second round pick to a first-round qb, and drafts chumps (edwards, winslow) instead of champs.

Last edited by hillside; 10-04-2008 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-04-2008, 02:21 PM

If Lerner owned the Indians instead of the Browns we would have won the world series already.
Its bound to click sometime. Is decent offence along with shut em down pitching too much to ask.
Be careful what you say about Winslow hes a warrior remember. As for Edwards nobody can celebrate there first touchdown reception 3 games in the season like he can.
I guess it could be worse we dont have an Ocho Cinco to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland