Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 17,393 times

Advertisements

I am a late-20s, single female moving to Cleveland from Seattle. Currently, I live in one of the more urban, young, alternative, hipster neighborhoods in Seattle with lots of art, coffee, cool bars, and music venues, and I would love to find a neighborhood like this in Cleveland. Parks are also a major plus.

I will be working at the VA medical center and I would like to stay reasonably close, if possible. I have read about neighborhoods such as Tremont, Lakewood, and Cleveland Hts, and they all seem pretty cool.

What are the differences between these neighborhoods? Any recommendations for one over the other? Any neighborhoods not on the above list I should be checking out? How reasonable is the commute/traffic between Lakewood/Tremont/Cleveland Hts to the VA?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,714 times
I am in a similar boat. I am looking into Park Lane Villa, Uptown (which so far seems a bit too pricey) and CircleEast Townhomes (which are not finished, but will be completed by the time I move).
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
Welcome to Cleveland as well!

I'd recommend starting your search here:

University Circle/Little Italy University Circle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tremont Tremont, Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shaker Square Buckeye-Shaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ohio City Ohio City, Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say look into Coventry (in Cleveland Hts) and Downtown as well. Lakewood is very cool, often called a "college town without a college," but may be too far of a commute everyday.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
1:55-2:03 is Coventry...it's an old hippie hangout from the 1970's:

Cleveland's Case Western Reserve University School of Law - YouTube

And here's a quick feel good video for Downtown Cleveland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzUt...e_gdata_player

Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM

141 posts, read 428,049 times
Personally, as a single woman, I wouldn't feel safe living in Shaker Square or in the Cedar/Lee area. They're nice areas but there's been an increase in daylight violent crime for both. I've lived in the Coventry and Cedar/Fairmount area of Cleveland Heights and have felt relatively safe in both, though there's always the risk of a break in (some apartments have double doors leading to the fire escape - that's going to provide the greatest security against theft).

Personally, I like Cleveland Heights best because it's so close to the museums, the cinemateque, etc. It's an eclectic mix - a lot of young people, medical students, older couples, etc. It's also right by the best shopping (Beachwood Mall - home of the only Nordstrom's in Cleveland and Lush cosmetics).

Tremont is a formerly blue collar area that had a decline and is now being brought back to life. There's a lot to do but less than you'll find on the east side (it's south).

Lakewood is also really nice... a lot of young professionals, a vibrant bar scene, there's a lot of little shops over there and it's right on the water with Lakewood Park, there's the Beck Center for the arts, etc.

Ohio City is also a good suggestion. Formerly a really bad area it's becoming more and more gentrified and has a young population and a lot of good restaurants and bars.

However, because of the location of your job, I would push Cleveland Heights. A word of advice for apartment hunting in the area: a lot of apartments don't advertise, they only put signs outside... so that will pose an obstacle in your search.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM

65 posts, read 164,380 times
balancing safety and the feel you're looking for, I'd go with either Ohio City (stay north and west of the intersection of W. 25 and Lorain--that's the nicest part) or Lakewood.

Both areas are west of Downtown, meaning a little bit longer of a commute to the VA than from Shaker or Cleveland hts, but overall, the commute is not long. From Ohio City, maybe 20 minutes driving (25 on the train+shuttle bus from the train to the VA hospital). From lakewood, depending on where in Lakewood, about 25-30 minutes.

Nice thing about Lakewood is good access and views of the Lake, which you wouldn't get in Cleveland Hts.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 17,393 times
Thanks so much for the responses! This really helps!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 AM

233 posts, read 455,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romane1 View Post
I am a late-20s, single female moving to Cleveland from Seattle. Currently, I live in one of the more urban, young, alternative, hipster neighborhoods in Seattle with lots of art, coffee, cool bars, and music venues, and I would love to find a neighborhood like this in Cleveland. Parks are also a major plus.

I will be working at the VA medical center and I would like to stay reasonably close, if possible. I have read about neighborhoods such as Tremont, Lakewood, and Cleveland Hts, and they all seem pretty cool.

What are the differences between these neighborhoods? Any recommendations for one over the other? Any neighborhoods not on the above list I should be checking out? How reasonable is the commute/traffic between Lakewood/Tremont/Cleveland Hts to the VA?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Downtown: The Warehouse District, East 4th would be my top 2

Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 PM

442 posts, read 540,027 times
I second almost everything that has been said thus far. Welcome to Ohio!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
Personally, as a single woman, I wouldn't feel safe living in Shaker Square or in the Cedar/Lee area. They're nice areas but there's been an increase in daylight violent crime for both.
Huh!!??
I totally disagree; where are you getting your facts from? Both areas are amazingly safe, particularly by big-city urban standards. Shaker Square has it's own private security force, not to mention the fact that there is constant foot traffic and very expensive restaurants there (Sergio's, Fire Food & Drink, Grotto Wine Bar, among them). Trust me, this level of restaurant would not exist if there was the level of violent crime you allege... I live near this area and have rarely heard of a violent crime, esp. near the Square. People make a big deal about the neighborhoods South of the square, where there is more of a strong criminal element, esp drugs. But that is largley south of Buckeye (which itself is 2 blocks south of the Square; and West of South Moreland (east of North Moreland puts you at the Shaker Hts border, and one knows not to mess with the Shaker Hts police.. What's more, the druggie kind of crime noted does not spill over to the square. As I noted, security is very tight there and people feel very safe -- the area is a major meeting place for families and typical teenage "mall kids" -- but without the mall.

As for Cedar-Lee, I also disagree. While generally the restaurants are not as high-end as those noted on Shaker Sq., there are some really nice ones there, a Phoenix Coffee and, of course, the Cedar-Lee theatre, the leading independent film theatre in all of Northeast Ohio. And as for Police protection? The Cleveland Heights Police are hawkish almost to the point of being annoying. A person would either be seriously demented or foolhardy to dare commit a violent crime in this area.

Again, I completely discount your negative comments about Shaker Square and Cedar-Lee with regard to violent crime and ask that you back up such claims with facts. Both these areas, esp Shaker Square, are "hot" with young professionals; check almost any credible website, travel blog or magazine and that will back me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland