Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 AM

137 posts, read 266,434 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I'm newer to the area due to new job. I moved from Buffalo, and heard these horror stories about how Cleveland is crime-ridden and a dead city. That's such a lie!

I was shocked to see a real vibrant downtown with a nice skyline, and vacant buildings being filled. One of my big challenges is actually finding an apartment because everyone is moving back to the city! But there are lots of good jobs here, and it's not manufacturing. We are turning into a major city for insurance, banking, and obviously healthcare.

It's not that there isn't bad, but literally every city has it's share of bad areas, especially a city the size of Cleveland. I drove through Cuddell and East Cleveland yesterday, and honestly, those are the only 2 areas I've ever driven through in the day where I felt a little worried (especially East Cleveland, I didn't wait for the green light a couple times there because someone shady was coming towards me).

But what more do you want? There are jobs (and not the type that can be outsourced), the weather really isn't bad, people are nice enough, and downtown (as well as some of the outlying areas) are coming back.

I challenge anyone who doubts me to drive through a relatively inexpensive and fringe good neighborhood like Detroit-Shoreway, or even parts of Ohio City, and say that this isn't a fine town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,209,529 times
Oh just wait, the people on this forum aren't down on it.

I moved here 10 months ago from Chicago and my best description of how i feel about Cleveland is "indifferent."

Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 AM

137 posts, read 266,434 times
Perhaps, but listen to the media and you'd think that we are in a decaying warzone.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,209,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post
Perhaps, but listen to the media and you'd think that we are in a decaying warzone.
Ahh yes, very true! I don't even bother watching the news here because it's so sensational. I have found that most people here fit into a couple categories: total cynic or Cleveland is the best city ever.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 AM

4,472 posts, read 6,195,397 times
Hater-ade

Old 04-08-2012, 12:41 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,254,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletneon View Post
Ahh yes, very true! I don't even bother watching the news here because it's so sensational. I have found that most people here fit into a couple categories: total cynic or Cleveland is the best city ever.
The duality of Cleveland.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,148,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletneon View Post
I have found that most people here fit into a couple categories: total cynic or Cleveland is the best city ever.
Yes, because in 10 months, you would certainly know how the majority of 2-3 million people think. Seriously, why would you move to or stay in a place that you don't like or are "indifferent" about? Certainly, with as much as Chicago has to offer (and it certainly does), you would have been able to find something that would have kept you there.

Having lived here on and off for the greater part of 35 years, I would say that most people have a measured opinion that falls slightly on the side of optimism. The most vocal people are, by far, the pessimists. However, the pessimists usually stay away from this forum because they aren't very well armed with facts and the measured optimists easily defuse any pot-shots they take. Personally, I would rather be around and converse with positive and pro-active people. They have way more to offer than the sniveling, nay-saying miserable people whose sole intent is to bring everybody down.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,148,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
The duality of Cleveland.
The duality of <fill in the blank>.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:58 PM

189 posts, read 398,486 times
I grew up in Lorain and always hated living there but loved the region as a whole. Can't wait to move back to NEO after finishing my time at OSU.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM

223 posts, read 396,691 times
I hate when people talk so poorly of Cleveland not even knowing what the city has to offer....it doesn't help with all the negative press from the news. Instead of all the negative what about all the good the city is doing. Cleveland is definitely on the rise....I cannot wait to move back to Cleveland from Columbus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland