Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,172 times

Advertisements

I have got a job in Warren, OH. Currently I am Pennsylvania and would need to move to OH soon. I have gone thru some of the posts about Warren-Youngstown and got scared. I have 2 kids (One in 2nd Grade, one will be going to the preschool). Could any one suggest me good neighborhood with elementray schools(public schools, affordable private schools) and apartments with easy access to the schools and in a drivng distance of 20-30 minutes from my office in Warren. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 PM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
Don't be scared! There are only a few places in the Youngstown/Warren area that you need to avoid. For starters, you may want to post this thread in the general Ohio forum. That is where most of the Youngstown/Warren threads appear.

If you want to be close to Warren, but in a good area, I would check out Howland or Cortland. In my opinion, they are the nicest areas of Trumbull County. You will want to talk to CortlandGirl, a regular on this site. She's an expert on the Warren area and she can help you out more than I could.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 AM

15 posts, read 67,145 times
As a relative newcomer to the area, I'd echo boardmanite's comments. There are many very nice (upscale even) parts of the Youngstown/Warren area that are within a reasonable commuting distance to Warren.

I currently live in Austintown, a suburb on the western side of Youngstown, and commute to Sharon, PA and my commute is less than 30 mins. Houses and apartments are very reasonably priced in Austintown, the schools are good (brand new middle and high school), and there is lots of shopping in Austintown and Boardman, which is 10-15 mins away.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
I would take this to the Ohio forum........but since i'm here now i'll copy and paste a post i made about Trumbull Co. awhile ago

As for Trumbull Co. here are my suggestions:

Champion~somewhat rural, newer subdivisions and older homes w/acreage very close to warren, excellent schools

Bazetta/Cortland~ Bazetta is a lot like Champion, with newer subdivisions and homes w/acreage. Cortland is a small city of about 6800 people. It's a bedroom community w/most homes built after 1960. Most housing in cortland starts out around 130k, but i know of a few older homes (early 1900s) that are for sale right now and they are asking between 80k and 125k. Anyway, cortland has a library, a small downtown, banks, a few restaurants, grocery store, etc. Bazetta and cortland both belong to the Lakeview school district which is also considered excellent. Also located on Mosquito Lake State Park

Howland~township of about 20k, desirable location and schools. More homes in your price range, but most are located in subdivisions that were mostly built after 1960. Howland has it's own library, and plenty of amenities.

Warren~NE Warren is still very nice, the main branch of the public library is here, YMCA, lots of good restaurants, etc........lots of neat old houses that are definitely in your price range, neighborhoods have more of a city feel, most housing was built between 1920-1970, schools on the NE side are more desirable than other parts of the city. Lots of people that don't live in warren think it is crime ridden and has bad schools, this is more the case on the NW, SW, and some parts of the SE side. Although, some parts of the SE side are in the Howland school District, also some areas of the NE side are included in this district.

Niles~lots of older homes in your price range (circa 1880-1970), schools i believe are ok (that is my impression after living there for 6 years), library, lots of shopping, etc, this includes the http://www.eastwoodmall.com/home/index.ch2, Eastwood Field

Girard~a lot like Niles, sorry dont' have much more of an opinion on that

Lordstown~very small town, rural, good schools

Newton Falls~small town w/more of a city feel in some areas, rural feel in others, decent schools

Others that are fine, but i don't have a lot of info on: Vienna, Fowler, Johnson, Mecca, Brookfield, Bristol, West Farmington, Liberty, Southington

Ok, so i think that pretty much covers trumbull Co. Just about all the cities and towns listed above are w/in about a 20 to 30 minute drive to downtown y-town and if you want more specifics i can provide those.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 AM

Thank you so much. I am thinking to consider Howland Area as I do not have a good car to commute long distance, but my worry is about my Kids schools. Are there good Elementary schools (For 2nd Grade, preschool) in Howland area. I really appreciate your reply...

Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 AM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvapl View Post
Thank you so much. I am thinking to consider Howland Area as I do not have a good car to commute long distance, but my worry is about my Kids schools. Are there good Elementary schools (For 2nd Grade, preschool) in Howland area. I really appreciate your reply...
Here is a link for info on Howland Elementary Schools. They look good to me!

Howland has a great reputation in the area.

Ohio schools - OH elementary, middle and high school information

Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 PM

Boardmanite,
Thanks so much. I will check the above links..

Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 PM

13 posts, read 39,678 times
so did you ever find a place, if so what area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland