U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH USA / formerly Chicago for 20 years
2,694 posts, read 4,163,162 times
Reputation: 1562

Advertisements

Cleveland ranks 2nd to Detroit in population loss: 2011 population estimates
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,720 posts, read 4,465,568 times
Reputation: 1613
Ok!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
172 posts, read 166,677 times
Reputation: 108
Not really surprising, Its a trend that's going to be hard to reverse. I'd say give it a couple years.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
2,389 posts, read 2,329,753 times
Reputation: 1212
Yes, these recent stats are disappointing, but they aren't the last pages in the book. Cleveland never ceased being a Midwestern contender for greatness, and once it gets up off the mat, look out! The powerful concept of NEO not only looms on the horizon--it's already here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
10,030 posts, read 8,295,473 times
Reputation: 3651
Actually, the news isn't all that bad when you put it in perspective. Cleveland lost a yearly average of 8,158 people 2000-2010. The last year only saw a yearly loss of just 2,360. While still a lot, it's a good 3x+ slower than the average of the last decade. Most large cities are seeing population growth accelerate or losses slow, so this is national trend, and it's entirely possible that the city of Cleveland will begin to register growth sometime between now and 2020, especially if the trends continue.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
 
Location: San Antonio , TX
166 posts, read 211,125 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Actually, the news isn't all that bad when you put it in perspective. Cleveland lost a yearly average of 8,158 people 2000-2010. The last year only saw a yearly loss of just 2,360. While still a lot, it's a good 3x+ slower than the average of the last decade. Most large cities are seeing population growth accelerate or losses slow, so this is national trend, and it's entirely possible that the city of Cleveland will begin to register growth sometime between now and 2020, especially if the trends continue.
dude, why sugarcoat it ?

why not say : "gee, we lost only 22.9 persons a day" ,that looks even better

call it like it is :

"The new census numbers show Cleveland lost another 81,588 people, or 17.1 percent, since 2000."

now that's horrific
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
10,030 posts, read 8,295,473 times
Reputation: 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post
dude, why sugarcoat it ?

why not say : "gee, we lost only 22.9 persons a day" ,that looks even better

call it like it is :

"The new census numbers show Cleveland lost another 81,588 people, or 17.1 percent, since 2000."

now that's horrific
I'd think the city would rather lose 20K in a decade than 80K. It's not sugarcoating so much as taking it as a positive trend.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 09:28 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,757 times
Reputation: 10
Cleveland lost most of its' population starting right after WW2. The factories began moving South, mainly TN and KY. Detroit's housing stock, or what's left of it, is in deplorable shape. Detroit was anchored by the auto industry and as city areas declined, residents flocked to the suburbs. I had relatives in Detroit, who, up until 1958 lived on W. Euclid between 12th and Woodrow Wilson. In 1967 the Detroit riots broke out on 12th St. After that the financially able fled the city in droves.

Detroit is still anchored by the auto industry and suppliers. Cleveland's diverse economy spared it from becoming like Detroit. I would say, as a Cleveland native, Cleveland has a better chance of reviving city living since it's housing stocks
are not in general shambles like Detroit's.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 PM
 
2,290 posts, read 2,422,214 times
Reputation: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander1 View Post
Cleveland lost most of its' population starting right after WW2. The factories began moving South, mainly TN and KY. Detroit's housing stock, or what's left of it, is in deplorable shape. Detroit was anchored by the auto industry and as city areas declined, residents flocked to the suburbs. I had relatives in Detroit, who, up until 1958 lived on W. Euclid between 12th and Woodrow Wilson. In 1967 the Detroit riots broke out on 12th St. After that the financially able fled the city in droves.

Detroit is still anchored by the auto industry and suppliers. Cleveland's diverse economy spared it from becoming like Detroit. I would say, as a Cleveland native, Cleveland has a better chance of reviving city living since it's housing stocks
are not in general shambles like Detroit's.
Cleveland is more like Buffalo than Detroit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM
 
3,587 posts, read 4,152,577 times
Reputation: 3273
Cleveland is in far better shape than both.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top