Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I'm mostly with I'mRon. My wife is mostly with Cleverfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mRonBurgundy? View Post
. I think that my child will get plenty of time to learn how to deal with the real world upon high school graduation. Just my opinion.
I sincerely hope and pray my kid is ready to deal with the real world BEFORE he even steps to the podium to receive his HS diploma...

Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I sincerely hope and pray my kid is ready to deal with the real world BEFORE he even steps to the podium to receive his HS diploma...
Agreed. By that point, it's too late.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM

11 posts, read 14,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Point being... does a child have to live among criminals to learn about crime? Does a child have to live in poverty to have sympathy for the poor? Does a child have to live amongst violence to learn how to avoid it? I'm not saying that Cleveland Heights High represents the above. Just making an example of some "real world" issues that you wouldn't choose to raise your child in if you can avoid it. Do you teach them empathy, sympathy, street smarts, etc? Yes.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Point being... does a child have to live among criminals to learn about crime? Does a child have to live in poverty to have sympathy for the poor? Does a child have to live amongst violence to learn how to avoid it? I'm not saying that Cleveland Heights High represents the above. Just making an example of some "real world" issues that you wouldn't choose to raise your child in if you can avoid it. Do you teach them empathy, sympathy, street smarts, etc? Yes.
To answer those questions, yes. To really understand crime, poverty, and violence, you DO need to experience it.

I am definitely not saying that parents should subject their kids to it. But let's be clear, you say "I'm not saying that Cleveland Heights High represents the above" but you're definitely suggesting it. I mean, come on, nobody is saying I think people should move to Hough, or something like that. We are talking about Cleveland Heights. CLEVELAND HEIGHTS! It's not a ghetto, people. CLE Hts. has a large variety of people from different cultures and backgrounds. I think children definitely need to have a first person understanding that there people in the world that are very different than them. Don't be like some of the people I went to college with at OSU, when it was their first time meeting black people, gays, and Jews. Don't let that happen to your kids.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM

I disagree. One can be raised to have sympathy without experiencing something directly. This post was about how one is somehow better prepared for the real world by going to Heights High than some "lilly white suburb", like say Rocky River. I disagree with that. You'd be hard pressed to find a suburb of Cleveland today where a child has never met black, gay or jewish people. And yes, I am suggesting that Cleveland Hts. High has become more violent and ghetto over the past 15 years.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I disagree. One can be raised to have sympathy without experiencing something directly. This post was about how one is somehow better prepared for the real world by going to Heights High than some "lilly white suburb", like say Rocky River. I disagree with that. You'd be hard pressed to find a suburb of Cleveland today where a child has never met black, gay or jewish people. And yes, I am suggesting that Cleveland Hts. High has become more violent and ghetto over the past 15 years.
You can't have real sympathy for poor people unless you are poor. But that is a whole other debate.

Rocky River is "lilly white." It's 95% white. Is the USA 95% white? Not the "real world" at all. Not saying it can't be a good place to live, but it's not very representative of much. You really think your kids growing up in RR would have gay friends? Black friends? Jewish friends? You're kidding yourself. And by "friend" I don't mean, oh yeah I see that black guy at school every day. I mean you actually hang out with them. Not happening.

You are allowed to think what you want about Cleveland Heights. But you're still wrong.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM

I didn't say that they'd have a cross representative of friends exactly equal to the "real world" IF they went to Rocky River, which we don't. Do you think Cle Hts. represents the real world? What is heights high - 80% black? Is that a good rep.? No, if you're white, your child is in the minority. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing. The part that I don't want my kids to deal with is the violence, horrible uncontrollable language, and theft. By the way, I know black and jewish parents who chose not to send their kids to Hts. High for these same reasons.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that they'd have a cross representative of friends exactly equal to the "real world" IF they went to Rocky River, which we don't. Do you think Cle Hts. represents the real world? What is heights high - 80% black? Is that a good rep.? No, if you're white, your child is in the minority. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing. The part that I don't want my kids to deal with is the violence, horrible uncontrollable language, and theft. By the way, I know black and jewish parents who chose not to send their kids to Hts. High for these same reasons.
Haha you keep saying things and then adding, "not that it's a bad thing" or "not that Cleveland Heights is like this" but you are obviously saying exactly that!

I bet Cleveland Heights High is the only place kids swear too.

I know black and Jewish people who go to Heights. What exactly is your point?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 AM

What I ACTUALLY said is that it's not a bad thing to be a minority in a school, I said it IS a bad thing to be in a school where violence and theft occur regularly and swearing is accepted by administrators because it is so common there is nothing that can be done about it. You tell your teacher to F off in RR and I guarantee you'll be in detention that Sat., you say that to your teacher in Heights High, and you a get a stern look. But hey, if that's the real world experience you want for your kids... I'm sure they'll thank you one day! Ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland