U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 PM

29 posts, read 120,169 times

Advertisements

Are winters in Cleveland as bad as people make them out to be? I've been to Cleveland a few times including in April when that Easter storm came but I have never lived there. I actually love Cleveland but my friends there think I'm crazy for that because I live in Charleston, S.C. (I hate living in the south) We always have so many tourists here in Charleston especially from Ohio but I personally like Cleveland a lot more than Charleston. Plus I hate the extreme heat and humidity we have in the summer and winter here is like late autumn in Cleveland.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 PM

10 posts, read 31,283 times
I've lived in cleveland 35yrs. and it seems that the winters have been getting milder and milder. we usually don't see steady snow until the end of December .The heavy snow seems to come in February and doesn't stick around for more than a couple of weeks.I would have to say the coldest temps are from the end of december to beginning of march which average about 20-30*F.

Keep in mind I am speaking of snowfall outside of the snowbelt which runs across northeast ohio.In the snowbelt it is quit a different story. If you want to avoid heavy snowfall and very cold winds it is best to stay on the west side of Cleveland and not live on the lakeshore.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:01 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,887,613 times
Its hard to say, some winters seem warm and others are pretty bad. The winter actually doesnt last as long as people say it does, it just seems longer when its cold. It hit 90 degrees way back in May and this weekend its supposed to be close to 90 degrees, and its October so we have warm weather for a large part of the year in Cleveland. The winters arent as bad as other areas to the Northeast or Northwest, but it gets pretty bad here at times. January-March is the main winter when most the snowfall takes place. January-March is definetly my least favorite time of the year here because theres no sunlight for long periods of time and it gets kind of depressing. December isnt too bad, usually hardly any snowfall, and if there is it melts within a day. April usually has one last snowfall then by the end of the month its in the 70s and 80s (pretty weird).

Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,852,205 times
Ditto what the above posters stated.
The one thing I noticed was it does stay dreary for days at a time; not much sun & cloudy.
It's hard to predict. It can be 50 degrees on CMas day and a blizzard in April.

If anything, I'd say winters are unpredictable & to expect a lot of variety in the weather for several months.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:44 AM

29 posts, read 120,169 times
I would rather take a Cleveland winter over a Charleston "winter." At least the weather there will keep you on your toes. I'm young and spontaneous so I love change. Here the wether is pretty boring although the past few days, the weather has been dreary with minimal sunlight. I saw that the Cincy area is having record temperatures for this time of year. It seems that the winters here are starting to get slightly milder here as someone mentioned about Cleveland. Global warming I guess. Actually I'm one of those who doesn't really believe the whole global warming issue. The pacific northwest is cooler than usual for this time of year and this summer there was a place overseas which I can't remember right now that had the coolest summer on record since 1917 or somewhere in that range but the media doesn't broadcast those events because they don't want to disturb the whole notion of global warming.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM

25,597 posts, read 32,377,539 times
Default Are winters in Cleveland as bad as people make them out to be?

The first winter I lived in Cleveland it started snowing before Thanksgiving and didn't let up until May.

The next winter, it barely snowed, and I didn't need a coat on my way to Christmas Mass.

In answer to your question, it depends. But the thing about Cleveland winters is that Clevelanders don't pay much attention to them. It snows ... OK, you still have to get up, get out and shovel your walk and driveway, and go to work.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 PM

28 posts, read 77,530 times
Since 2000, cleveland had I believe 3 winters of over 100 inches, but they have definitely gotten milder. It seems now that we get POUNDED 3-5 days out of the winter (valentines day!!!).
Also, the city and suburbs are excellent at snow removal. So it does not effect driving too much, but you will have to get use to the difference.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-vet22 View Post
Are winters in Cleveland as bad as people make them out to be? I've been to Cleveland a few times including in April when that Easter storm came but I have never lived there. I actually love Cleveland but my friends there think I'm crazy for that because I live in Charleston, S.C. (I hate living in the south) We always have so many tourists here in Charleston especially from Ohio but I personally like Cleveland a lot more than Charleston. Plus I hate the extreme heat and humidity we have in the summer and winter here is like late autumn in Cleveland.
I personally am not a fan of Cleveland Winters. I don't know what is worst though, the snow or the The neverending Cloudy dreary days. You very seldom see the sun Nov through March. I think that is worse for me than the snow. BAsically the winters here are pretty unpredicatable as far as snowfall...... There are some years it's not bad, and others it's horrible.... However you coming from South Carolina, you will probably enjoy the season change and the winters. It seems the grass is always greener on the other side..... because for me growing up in ohio. South Carolina sounds delightful! In fact i have considered moving there multiple times.....( HA HA)

Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 PM

49 posts, read 113,461 times
I think if you learn how to properly layer and dress for the cold, you will be okay. The lack of sunlight and general dreariness can be a drag since it seems to get dark so earlier in the winter ( I leave work at 6 and it is already almost dark by the time I am home, and it's only October!) Best part is that it's very cold, so unlike the east coast, we don't get as much ice and the snow stays snow, which actually seems less dangerous.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM

6,085 posts, read 6,177,278 times
As my dad used to say "no matter what it is in life it's always about having the proper tools for the job".
Winter is no different. Proper clothes, snow blowers, snow tires, a few sick days to play hooky..... makes winter pretty damn bearable.

Oh, Re: Global Wamring. They call it "Climate Change" now because everyone thinks the whole world will get warmer if it is true and that is not the case. Some areas will get warmer while others get colder.
I think most Clevelanders hope it IS true because it will get warmer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland