Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times

Advertisements

I have a hard time believing they fired 137 shots at people for no reason whatsoever. Just to kill a civilian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,174,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Really? A casing was reported found somewhere along the path of the chase. No gun found. It's kind of sad to say, but I'm just not that surprised that if you look around East Cleveland hard enough, you'll find a bullet casing.
Ok, first of all, if you can't make your counterpoint without hacking the original, your argument is weak. What I said was that they were "SUSPECTED of being in possession of a firearm that they had recently fired at an officer." So yes, really.

If you look around East Cleveland, and not even all that hard, you'll find someone who will pick up a perfectly good firearm off of the street also.

Quote:
Medical Examiner: Woman in police chase was shot 24 times - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

All I'm saying is that it's civically irresponsible to not question 137 shots at 2 possibly unarmed people.
It's also civically irresponsible to imply that you know even 1% of the immediate situation. Question it, but don't do it with pretense. Also, just an FYI, the origin of the pursuit was due to the fact that the people in the vehicle fired a gun at an officer. Therefore, the police must assume that they are armed.

Quote:
In the end, if the actions were justified, the investigation will show that.
Which, of course, was my point from the beginning.

Quote:
In the meantime, you can't set the bar for acceptable police behavior at firing shots anywhere from 1-137 times to try to stop someone.
Neither can you. But, I can say that if I was personally put in the position of having a suspected armed and dangerous person(s) barrelling at me in a 4,000 lb vehicle after a 20-30 minute pursuit where they had refused to stop and already broke 30+ major laws, I'm emptying my clip and reaching for another. I'd suspect anyone in my like position would also do the same. Do the math and you'll see how easy it is to arrive at a number exceeding 130 rounds if 10+ officers are present.

Also...

Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,174,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have a hard time believing they fired 137 shots at people for no reason whatsoever. Just to kill a civilian?
According to my policeman neighbor, the standing protocol is to fire until the vehicle stops if the perpetrator is attempting to use the vehicle as a weapon.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,639,000 times
I smell a lawsuit coming. It seems no one gets killed by a police officer justifiably these days.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
According to my policeman neighbor, the standing protocol is to fire until the vehicle stops if the perpetrator is attempting to use the vehicle as a weapon.
And I think there is not a Protocol on how many officers can use a weapon and how many bullets they can fire.

The more I read about this mess and learn the backgrounds these two productive citizens had on our communities, I am convinced the Police did a FANTASTIC JOB! I also believe that when the smoke clears, these officers will be vindicated. If this happens, Mayor Jackson should dole out 137 medals, cash bonuses and vacations to these officers that protected us by doing their jobs!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 AM

"Some people should die, that's jut unconscious knowledge"

- Jane's Addiction

(Not saying these 2 should have, Mike's reply just made me think of that great line from a JA song...)

Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"Some people should die, that's jut unconscious knowledge"

- Jane's Addiction

(Not saying these 2 should have, Mike's reply just made me think of that great line from a JA song...)
- Think of the clear message this killing sends to the thugs!!!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM

117 posts, read 244,349 times
I don't really care about the 137 or so shots cops aren't snipers yes they are trained but this isn't the movies where everyone has pin point accuracy. Is it excessive? I leave that up to your opinion, but police are trained to keep firing until the vehicle stops moving (at least that's what my cousin who's a cop tells me.)

I care about more how no one is mentioning why these two in the car didn't stop. I've heard claims they had no weapon and didnt fire at the police.

Then why did they take police on a 30 minute car chase? They did something!

Now of course we will never know what really happened, as much as people think cops used excessive force (which you can argue either way) these two were obviously doing something or had done something in the past. If they woudl've just pulled over they would most likely be alive.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,581 times
Suffice to say the force used to stop the vehicle was not excessive, as it was up to the police to determine how much force to use. Opinion on if that force was too much is irrelevant. They did their job by stopping the vehicle being used as a weapon in accordance to the law. This lawful action has nothing to do with whether or not shots were fired from the "civilians" which should be correctly re-worded as "criminals".

Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM

Not to even mention not one bystander was injured. I'd say that's a good job if you got off 137 shots and only hit your targets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland