Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,912,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I've never lived in Cleveland so don't know the inner dynamics too much, but it sounds like a good idea, because if the city is willing to take on its worst suburb, it may eventually convince better-off neighbors to join as well.
Its better off neighbors want nothing to do with Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 10:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,091,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Its better off neighbors want nothing to do with Cleveland.
We'll see. If Cleveland continues improving like it is, I can see places like Newburgh Heights, Middleburgh Heights, Brooklyn, Warrensville Heights, Maple Heights and other inner ring suburbs joining it. These suburbs are growing poorer and poorer, and might be in need of the better services that Cleveland can offer.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I think it would be a good move in the long term for Cleveland. East Cleveland is right next to University Cicle, is served by the red line, and has some of the best building/housing stock in the area (of what has been mainained anyway). East Cleveland was built as a very desirable area and would still be one if Cleveland was not so disfunctional. It certainlay has much better bones than Hough does and I think it would be a more natural area of the expansion of University Circle's developement. I think someday parts of East Cleveland may be poised for gentification given its attributes, although this will be a very long time from now.
So why would dysfunctional Cleveland want to annex an area that used to be desirable? It's not Cleveland's fault that East Cleveland became a disgrace. The good points (adjacent to UC, the Red Line and building/housing stock) should be reasons East Cleveland can do well on its own, but even with these assets East Cleveland tanked. I think it's called competent leadership; something East Cleveland and the entire nation is lacking.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
We'll see. If Cleveland continues improving like it is, I can see places like Newburgh Heights, Middleburgh Heights, Brooklyn, Warrensville Heights, Maple Heights and other inner ring suburbs joining it. These suburbs are growing poorer and poorer, and might be in need of the better services that Cleveland can offer.
If these cities are not ''better off'' they don't apply; the ''better off'' cities want nothing to do with Cleveland. So if Cleveland is improving, meaning college educated people with some money are moving downtown, then these same people are going to want to stay and foot the bill for annexing poor suburbs? Again, what other larger poor cities are annexing even poorer suburbs?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
If these cities are not ''better off'' they don't apply; the ''better off'' cities want nothing to do with Cleveland. So if Cleveland is improving, meaning college educated people with some money are moving downtown, then these same people are going to want to stay and foot the bill for annexing poor suburbs? Again, what other larger poor cities are annexing even poorer suburbs?
Why are you comparing Cleveland to other cities? What other cities have the number of suburbs that Cleveland does for their population? Most cities do not have nearly the number of minuscule pointless suburbs that Cleveland does. Even if these suburbs are poor, many of them still have businesses that the city would find valuable, and several of them probably have higher average incomes than the city does now.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Cleveland needs to attract some of these better off neighbors' residents and not get involved with its bad off neighbors affairs.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,979,760 times
I can't see why Cleveland (or Cleveland Heights, for that matter) would want to annex it. What's in it for them? On the other hand if either city had interest in annexing EC, and then booting all (or most of) the residents and turning the land into one huge research park, I could see that happening. They could even use many of the better built buildings. It would be wildly expensive to do, of course, and a very dramatic step to take--but sometimes a dramatic step is what you need to make a paradigm shift.

Where would the residents go though? That's always the question. The other problem is finding research companies that would want to be there.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 AM

That area is a prime location, near University Circle and I-90. The houses that are still occupied are also pretty nice, relative to a lot of areas of Cleveland, as in they were better built to start with. East Cleveland has a lot of potential, and actually, there are a lot of residents who do care a lot about the city. It's just that the city is so poor, it can't maintain itself. This editorial I found pretty interesting East Cleveland more than 'warm bodies' in Cleveland merger talks: M. LaVora Perry | cleveland.com.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I can't see why Cleveland (or Cleveland Heights, for that matter) would want to annex it. What's in it for them? On the other hand if either city had interest in annexing EC, and then booting all (or most of) the residents and turning the land into one huge research park, I could see that happening. They could even use many of the better built buildings. It would be wildly expensive to do, of course, and a very dramatic step to take--but sometimes a dramatic step is what you need to make a paradigm shift.

Where would the residents go though? That's always the question. The other problem is finding research companies that would want to be there.
Good luck trying to relocate East Cleveland residents. Cleveland should relocate the projects off w 25th Street and the Lakeview Estates first for Ohio City development. Not gonna happen there either. Chicago did it with Cabrini Green and Philly is making strides in developing the ''urban'' retail in Market East. If the development momentum is strong enough, perhaps it can happen in Cleveland as well. Dicey call for W 25th Street though.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
That area is a prime location, near University Circle and I-90. The houses that are still occupied are also pretty nice, relative to a lot of areas of Cleveland, as in they were better built to start with. East Cleveland has a lot of potential, and actually, there are a lot of residents who do care a lot about the city. It's just that the city is so poor, it can't maintain itself. This editorial I found pretty interesting East Cleveland more than 'warm bodies' in Cleveland merger talks: M. LaVora Perry | cleveland.com.
The picture with this story doesn't look like East Cleveland is a city on the rise as the writer states. A city of 40,000 reduced to 17,000 is not a city on the rise, moving forward. Sorry, I just don't understand how this writer can state that that EC is moving forward and is on the rise. Sure there some nice folks and pockets of normalcy. Forward thinking mayor? Wasn't his campaign the one that released the photos of the former mayor in drag? The drag mayor was the one after the interim mayor, remember her, the convicted murderer, she killed her husband I believe. Yes, a city moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland