Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times

Advertisements

All these caveats you're so curious about (and which is it by no means incumbent on L2DB to address, by any reasonable standard) would presumably apply equally to Beachwood. If not, it might help your argument to explain why not.

65 percent of kids going on to 4-year colleges isn't bad. For my class at Lakewood, the equivalent figure was 40 percent, and Lakewood wasn't a bad school. As you say, people sometimes do other things after senior year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
And it's "non-sense state standardized testing scores", but comparing Shaker to Beachwood by subgroup (you have to click the dropdown box):

Shaker Heights High School - Shaker Heights, Ohio - OH - School overview

Beachwood High School - Beachwood, Ohio - OH - School overview

Beachwood is better in all subjects when you look at not economically disadvantaged and also for minorities (the two common causes/excuses for SH schools to rate lower).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is all I read from your massive post. It is very obvious to me that you don't care about convincing anybody when you post statistics without citing a source.
Ummm... Although I suppose you've got me technically on the demographics... I guess I assumed you could figure it out from the other links (it's the next tab over under "Students & Teachers".

I trust you're able to get around the site to the different schools in the district from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'm looking at this one. May be true (needs source), but also shows a shallow understanding of logic/statistics.

When you say "went to a 4 year university" does that mean the next year after graduation?

How many went to a community college or other form of higher education that is not a 4-year university?

How many took a gap year and then went to a 4-year university?

How many decided to go into service for multiple years like City Year or the military?

Did any students die?

tribecavsbrowns, anyone who actually cares about the truth never accepts uncited information, even if it seems right. Intellectual honesty. Asking for a source doesn't always mean a doubt. It just asks for a standard of behavior.
It's at the bottom of the Students & Teachers tab linked above. I don't know how they measure it and since the same information isn't available for Beachwood, I can't compare it. FWIW, I looked at 5-8 other high schools in the area and none of them show it either so I have no idea if 65% is good, bad, or whatever.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Ummm... Although I suppose you've got me technically on the demographics... I guess I assumed you could figure it out from the other links (it's the next tab over under "Students & Teachers".

I trust you're able to get around the site to the different schools in the district from there?

It's at the bottom of the Students & Teachers tab linked above. I don't know how they measure it and since the same information isn't available for Beachwood, I can't compare it. FWIW, I looked at 5-8 other high schools in the area and none of them show it either so I have no idea if 65% is good, bad, or whatever.
Thank you!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM

141 posts, read 427,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyFromOC View Post
I think the Jewish community in Cleveland Heights would be a nice place for your family. The actual community is very quiet , nice looking and has a decent strip mall called Severance located right next it with most things you'll need (Walmart, Home Depot, Fast Food spots, Workout center, banks etc) Also there is Cain Park not too far away which contains some tennis courts, a skate park , a basketball court and a GREAT hill to go sledding with kids in the winter. Theres also plenty jewish temples in the area. However Cleveland Heights varies greatly from large beautiful homes and estates to downright decrepit in certain places. I'm not sure sure about the school system as I didn't attend there but its not too bad if anything there are plenty of private schools to pick from in the area.
I think you're referring to the area along South Taylor... the people there are primarily Orthodox. I agree with the other suggestions that Shaker Heights would probably be the best fit... if the schools aren't up to par, there is a Jewish elementary school in Beachwood (I think another poster already mentioned it) and Hathaway Brown right there in Shaker (that also has a preschool). There's another private girls school, Laurel, but I know that they used to require chapel attendance - not sure if they still do or not.

Another pro over the west side is that most of the public schools on the east side get the day off for Jewish holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: