Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,818 times

Advertisements

I have been reading so much helpful information on this Forum!! Thank You for all you posts!!

My Husband and I will be relocating from Mississippi. Hot, Humid, bug-ridden summers....totally used to that. Beautiful Spring and Fall would be nice to fully experience (ours here currently is about 2 weeks of each!). Cold snowy winters..also not a problem since I grew up in a Ski Resort town. We are actually looking forward to four seasons again!

We have two elementary aged children so great schools are a MUST. Also, since I stay at home, an active school community would be a must as well. (Otherwise I may just be stuck sitting on the internet all day!! I kid, I kid!)

Great Park and Rec. (or something simular) baseball program is also a must.

From all my lurking, I have gotten a pretty good feel for the area. I also CANNOT wait to go explore downtown Cleveland as well! Any ideas on great reataurants, must see art museums, Farmers Markets - or places to get fresh produce, meat etc. , must see festivals and the like would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I have been checking, for quite some time now, several real estate sites...until our visit up there....and there are a few homes we have really taken a liking too. One in North Royalton and several in Hudson. I have read both are great areas with, I believe, everything we are looking for. So which would you prefer and why. Also if I can throw a few more second choice areas out there.....Macedonia, Broadview Heights and Solon.

Any other information that you may want to toss out there would be greatly appreciated as well. Due to my husband's career, we have moved 7 times in the last 17 years, so we are used to relocation. We enjoy learing a new area, meeting new people etc. We learned a long time ago being happy somewhere comes from us being happy and being open to new experiences. This will be the first BIG move for our children, since my youngest was only 8 months when we moved here. This is also the longest we have lived anywhere! I am a bit worried about them adjusting, but we have involved them fully in the process...incuding area reasearch......so we are hoping they will adjust well. They are used to a lot of travel and have been exposed to several countries and languages as well as a lot of travel within our United States. I am sure they will be fine!

Also, since we live on the Gulf Coast, how are the beaches up there? Water temps in the summer etc...
I did grow up with a lake being filled by snowy waters and I am aware that Lake Erie will NOT be as warm as the Gulf. Bonus - NO Hurricanes!! What is the best beach area to visit? When are the swimable months? Favorite Beach or Beach event?

Once again thank you for your opinions and any tips, tricks and advice!! I very much appreciate your kindness in helping me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM

16,453 posts, read 19,469,725 times
Of all the cities you listed my preference would be in order: N. Royalton, Broadview Hts, Solon, Hudson, Macedonia.

Important question: what city is hubby working in?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM

Hubby will be working from home most days but relatively close driving distance from all towns mentioned on the days he does have to commute. That is including estimated added time due to inclement weather.

Thank You so much for your suggestions!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 AM

1,499 posts, read 5,078,321 times
Best Beach: Mentor Headlands.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM

I am surprised more people haven't jumped on this thread. We generally love it when people give so many details like you did. We hate posts like:

"Moving to Cleveland! I want something safe. Where should I live?"
And that's it.

Let me give a little more detail about my answer.
I like N Royalton because of your choices, it is the closest to the city. It is a slightly more rural-ish suburb compared to most CLE suburbs, which sounds like what you want. I love that, 8 or 10 years ago, N Royalton passed a statue that requires ANY new home construction must be on a minimum of 1 sq acre. They are making sure they won't ever become Strongsville with its many subdivisions.
Broadview Heights is close to a lot of cool stuff. Easy access to the Metroparks (a huge system of parks). Easy access to CLE. It's a nice suburb. Quiet & Safe.
Solon is really the last one on your last I would ever consider and that's borderline at best. Only because it's just too far from CLE for me. I am spoiled as I have always lived within 15-25 minutes of downtown (door to door so to speak). And I like that very much. Solon has the best rec center of any city on your list. Solon is also in the snow belt which is a strike against it. But it is a safe solid suburb.
Your children would get a great education in any of your choices, so schools should not be a factor.

As far as festivals, I kind of always assumed most major cities have at least as many as we do. Apparently they don't. There are 100's here.
Costello Musician compiled a list. I copy and paste that here.
And this is not even all of them.
(I also don't totally agree with his * rating system)

Festivals:

I keep track many times of Cleveland's ongoing events. So below, is a bunch of copying and pasting. However, I decided to grade these events on a scale from 1-4:

**** = Must go at least once in your life
*** = Worth the drive or visit
** = Probably leave feeling happy
* = 50/50 chance you will enjoy yourself

CLEVELAND EVENTS:

Feb:
**Chinese New Year Celebration Asiatown http://www.asiatowncleveland.com/events.asp
***Brite Winter Festival Brite Winter Festival | Cleveland's Winter Art & Music Celebration
**Cupid Undie Run Cupid's Undie Run Cleveland Benefits the Children's Tumor Foundation | Home | Cleveland Valentine's Day Events
*Downtown Cleveland Restaurant Week DCA - Restaurant Week - Downtown Cleveland Alliance
***Jump Back Ball (Playhouse Square) 22nd Annual Jump Back Ball at PlayhouseSquare

Mar:
****St. Patrick's Day Parade https://www.facebook.com/StPatricksDayCleveland
*Moondog Coronation Ball (Quicken Loans Arena) Moondog Coronation Ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apr:
***Cleveland International Film Festival (CIFF) Cleveland International Film Festival :: April 3 - April 14, 2013
***Cleveland Indians HOME OPENER The Official Site of The Cleveland Indians | indians.com: Homepage
**Dyngus Day Dyngus Day Dyngus Day Cleveland
*EarthDay @ Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Earth Day Coalition | our earth, our future
*International Children's Festival (Playhouse Square)
**Fashion Week Cleveland Fashionweek Cleveland - HOME
*Weekend in Ohio City
**Annual Greek Heritage Festival (Tremont) Tremont Greek Fest | Annunciation Church, Cleveland, Ohio

May:
**Cleveland Marathon Home - Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon
**Cleveland Asiatown Festival Cleveland Asian Festival | May 18th & 19th, 2013 on Payne Ave between East 30th and East 27th Street, Cleveland, OH 44114
**Hessler Street Fair Hessler Street Fair -
**Great American Rib Cook-Off and Music Festival
*Berea's Rib Cook-Off

Jun:
*Bellaire Puritas Arts Festival (W.132 and Lorain)
*Italian American Summer Festival (Berea Fairgrounds)
***Parade the Circle
**Discover Gordon Square Arts District Gordon Square Arts District | Cleveland, Ohio
**Boating and Fishing Festival (North Coast Harbor) North Coast Harbor Boating & Fishing Fest
*Ohio City Run & Crawl
*Clifton Arts and Music Festival Clifton Arts and Musicfest | Cudell Improvement, Inc.
*Shaker Hts Arts and Music Festival
****Summer Solstice Party (Cleveland Museum of Art) exhibitions & events | Cleveland Museum of Art
*Larchmere PorchFest Larchmere PorchFest
***Cleveland Pride Parade and Festival Cleveland Pride
**Coventry Street Fair Coventry Village | Cleveland Heights Ohio
*Rock and Soul Festival (Rock and Roll HOF)
***Duct Tape Festival Avon Heritage Duct Tape Festival
*Waterloo Arts Festival (North Collinwood)
*International Folk Festival (University Circle)

Jul:
***FREE Cleveland Orchestra concert on Public Square (4th of July time)
*Cleveland Indians Firework Nights (4th of July time)
*Larchmere Antiques Festival Larchmere - Cleveland's art and antiques district
**Harborfest PORT OF CLEVELAND 2013 TALL SHIPS FESTIVAL
*Cain Park Arts Festival www.cainpark.com/
***Luau on the Lake (Whiskey Island) SC4K > Events > Luau on the Lake
***Taste of Tremont Taste of Tremont
**Irish Cultural Festival - Berea fairgrounds Cleveland Irish Cultural Festival
*Mt. Carmel Italian Festival Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church - Cleveland, Ohio
*Lincoln Park Ale Festival
***Burning River Festival The Burning River Foundation: Homepage Items
*FREE Opera @ Italian Cultural Garden in Rockefeller Park
**Susan G. Komen "Walk for the Cure" Komen Northeast Ohio Homepage

Aug:
*Puerto Rican Parade and Latino Fest
**Cleveland Browns Family Day
*Lakewood Arts Festival
**Warehouse District Festival
*Cleveland Triathlon Cleveland Triathlon Event Information - Event Management
*Discover Cedar Fairmount Summer Festival & Arts and Crafts Show
**Cuyahoga County Fair Cuyahoga County Fair - Berea, OH - Cleveland, OH
****Feast of the Assumption (Little Italy) Cleveland Feast of the Assumption in Little Italy on Murray Hill in Cleveland Ohio
*Cleveland Dragon Boat Festival Cleveland Dragon Boat Festival
*Greek Festival @ Saints Constantine and Helen Cathedral Saints Constantine and Helen Cathedral, Cleveland Heights, OH - Greek Festival August 18, 2011 USA
**Romanian Festival @ St. Mary St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Chatedral
*Egyptian Festival @ St. Mark Coptic Church Egyptian festival set Aug. 26 in Seven Hills | cleveland.com
**Ukrainian Village Festival @ St. Vladimir St. Vladimir Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral - EVENTS
*Hungarian Festival http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...h_hungari.html

Sep:
*Festival of Saint Rocco Events at St. Rocco
*St. John Cantius Polish Festival (Tremont)
*Armenian Festival @ St. Gregory of Narek St Gregory Of Narek | ARMENIAN CHURCH
**Cleveland Oktoberfest (Berea) Cleveland Labor Day Oktoberfest | Octoberfest - Berea, OH - Cleveland, OH
***Cleveland National Air Show Home :: Cleveland National Air Show
****Ingenuity Festival Ingenuity Cleveland
**Tremont Arts and Cultural Festival Tremont West Development Corporation - tremont-arts-cultural-festival
**Chalk Festival (University Circle) exhibitions & events | Cleveland Museum of Art
*Taste of Little Italy https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-T...15947535156116
**Cleveland Garlic Festival (Shaker Square) Cleveland Garlic Festival 2013 - Sept. 7th & 8th - Shaker Square
***Sparx City Hop DCA - Sparx City Hop - Downtown Cleveland Alliance

Oct:
**St. Stanislaus Polish Festival (Slavic Village) The Shrine Church of St. Stanislaus, Cleveland, Ohio - Upcoming and Recent Events
**Columbus Day Parade (Little Italy) LITTLE ITALY CLEVELAND - Little Italy an urban neighborhood

Nov:
***Downtown Cleveland Winterfest and Public Square lighting
**Fabulous Food Show

Dec:
*Ohio City Christmas Walk
***Holiday CircleFest (University Circle)
*Tremont Santa Shuffle

Some other neat monthly events include:
*Tremont Art Walk Tremont ArtWalk | Tremont ArtWalk is a recurring event on the second Friday of every month from 6-10 p.m. More than twenty venues participate.
*Science Cafe Cleveland CASE Chapter, Sigma Xi
*Walk All Over Waterloo https://www.facebook.com/WaterlooArtsDistrict
**Cleveland Critical Mass Bike Ride Cleveland Critical Mass | Last Friday of Every Month. Ride With Hundreds.

Someone posted recently he was very bored in Cleveland and we are not friendly here. We kind of jumped on him and that thread was closed. You may have seen it.
As you can see: if you're bored in Cleveland you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,824,783 times
I hadn't heard that about the North Royalton statute. Pretty cool, IMO.

I'd guess it hasn't gotten more responses because people know less about those cities, but I could be wrong about that.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 PM

141 posts, read 426,465 times
They are all communities with strong school sports programs. In my opinion, Hudson has somewhat of a small town charm to it. Broadview Heights has close access to the Metroparks. Solon seems to be the most racially diverse. I personally prefer Broadview Heights over North Royalton due to aesthetics and well... I'll catch a lot of flak for this, but NR seems kind of trashy, and I think Brecksville - Broadview Heights is a stronger school district. Hudson seems to have a lot of stay at home moms who are physically active and go out to the wine bars in droves in the evenings. (Hudson plays host to quite a few makeshift yoga studios), but it seems closer to Akron than Cleveland and is more isolated than the other areas listed (Solon or Macedonia being the least isolated).

Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,246,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
I hadn't heard that about the North Royalton statute. Pretty cool, IMO.
Pretty cool? How so? Basically ensures that the suburb will remain economically homogeneous. Statutes like that ensure that all of the metropolitan burdens remain on the inner city and inner-ring suburbs.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am surprised more people haven't jumped on this thread. We generally love it when people give so many details like you did. We hate posts like:

"Moving to Cleveland! I want something safe. Where should I live?"
And that's it..

Someone posted recently he was very bored in Cleveland and we are not friendly here. We kind of jumped on him and that thread was closed. You may have seen it.
As you can see: if you're bored in Cleveland you have no one to blame but yourself.

Peregrine, thank you for your more detailed reply. I figured not a lot answered because of lack of knowlege of the areas or disinterest....either way.....I am very thankful for your opinon on each area as well as the copy of the festival list!!! Yes I read MOTL's postings and aafter that list...not sure the boredome either..but to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
They are all communities with strong school sports programs. In my opinion, Hudson has somewhat of a small town charm to it. Broadview Heights has close access to the Metroparks. Solon seems to be the most racially diverse. I personally prefer Broadview Heights over North Royalton due to aesthetics and well... I'll catch a lot of flak for this, but NR seems kind of trashy, and I think Brecksville - Broadview Heights is a stronger school district. Hudson seems to have a lot of stay at home moms who are physically active and go out to the wine bars in droves in the evenings. (Hudson plays host to quite a few makeshift yoga studios), but it seems closer to Akron than Cleveland and is more isolated than the other areas listed (Solon or Macedonia being the least isolated).
Stay at home moms who are physically active and go out to the wine bars in droves!!! LMAO!!! AWESOME! I will fit right in....I'll forward my mail asap! Best review of a town I have read on here yet! Honest and to the point.

We are foodies...so what about farmers markets or other places to get fresh fruits, veggies or dairy and meat?? Even within an hours drive or so (mainly nicer months...)

Also...from reading so many posts about Shaker....which initally I'll admit thought was a total no due to bad schools and saftey....I am drawn to the fact that it is walkable. Yes I have read so much on both sides and I don't want to start another love it/hate it war, but what are the streets that have the coffee shops, little markets, mom and pop places etc? Wanted to google maps it and "walk it" for myself I've been looking at houses by the country club area and found several I like, they just don't look like they are close to businesses. I do have to admit though, even after reading both sides....I am still concerned about the schools. I'll have a 6th grader and a 3rd grader...which the oldest, I've read is heading into that grade that most have said time to move out at.... So, overall you can see my conflict. LOL aside from rambling concerns...not sure what my question is other than is Shaker really worth choosing over our other options?

Best Beach: Mentor Headlands. - Thanks for that!! I will add it to my info!!!

Thanks again for your replies.....anyone else can feel free to join in on your favorite other spots in CLE etc....anything cool to know about the area, I'm looking for!!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Pretty cool? How so? Basically ensures that the suburb will remain economically homogeneous. Statutes like that ensure that all of the metropolitan burdens remain on the inner city and inner-ring suburbs.
I think it's pretty cool. In fact I think it's one of the coolest things I've ever heard a city do.
ONE *tiny* suburb does this and it "ensure(s) that all of the metropolitan burdens remain...."
Overdramatize much?

North Royalton is making sure they don't become Strongsville with cookie cutter housing sub-divisons. I admire a city taking steps to keep its character AND minimize its impact on our earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland