Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 AM

48 posts, read 212,553 times

Advertisements

I am sorry if I offended anyone on this board. I really was not trying to start a conflict. I had the mistaken idea that a forum was for all views not just positive one's.

That being said, when I was younger , I couldn't understand why all the retirees etc. were moving south. Now that I am approaching retirement I understand. Cold weather and cloudy days are depressing much more as you get older. That is why I have the view of Cleveland that I do. I have lived here all my life and have seen wonderful changes and not so great ones.
A person's opinion is just that, an opinion , be it right or wrong.

Again, sorry if anyone was offended by my opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 04:45 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Estrogen i am sorry for the way i acted as well. Im just trying to keep this board calm. Please feel free to express your opinion. I just wish people could see Cleveland as the changing and diverse city it is. Cleveland is no Detroit, St. Louis, or Camden. It has made some huge progress these past years, and much more to come.

Subway, I highly recommend a trip to Pittsburgh and check out PNC Park. That is by far my favorite baseball stadium in the country. I have visited many. The view, the architecture, the all around general atmosphere of PNC Park is great. I am really looking forward to baseball season starting up and heading to GAB. I really like the idea of the fireworks going off from the "Tall Stacks" when the Reds score. They have great views of Cincinnati and the Covington riverfront.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:48 PM
KJP

14 posts, read 63,648 times
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I like winter and clouds don't bother me. When I hear the same someone at work complaining about the four or five cloudy days in a row, it takes me aback because I didn't notice. Granted I'm not older, I'm a young 39.

I've had the opportunity to work elsewhere and have been tempted to move when something happens about Cleveland that ticks me off. But I also have friends in other cities (Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia). They tell me to stay put because the same stuff (like a sprawling development or a mega-highway project) that pisses me off happens there too. I live at the Lakewood-Cleveland border and love where I live. The neighborhood I live in is very densely populated, with round-the-clock restaurants and stores, is very walkable and transit-accessible. The only other places like it in Greater Cleveland are downtown or in the University Circle, Shaker Square and Coventry areas. Outside of Cleveland, you won't many other places like it in Ohio and none of have transit accessibility as this.

Where are the jobs? If you're in the automotive, heavy manufacturing, mortgage sectors, then I can see why you're having a hard time here. Instead, check out the graphics arts, product design, filmmaking (yes I meant that), insurance (Progressive Insurance can't hire fast enough), health care (100 people start new jobs every Monday at the Cleveland Clinic) and computer programming and related technology jobs are where it's at.

I love what's happening downtown, and that's only going to improve with the projects that have been approved. Check out UrbanOhio.com's listing of projects under construction or approved. It's quite stunning.

In fact, anyone interested in moving Cleveland should check out UrbanOhio to get a good feel for the city. I live here and I've chosen to stay.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 AM

62 posts, read 326,255 times
Default I-77 versus I 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcha999 View Post

Medina County is the third fastest growing county in the state. However, the commute on I-71 is pretty bad. There are plenty of people who moved to Brunswick got sick of the drive and moved back to an inner ring burb such as Lakewood.
Can someone elaborate as to why the commute on I-71 is bad relative to I-77. Thanks

Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 AM

332 posts, read 2,251,688 times
From what I understand out of all of Cleveland's interstates I-90, I-77, I-71 and 480 and 490, 480 is the busiest and 77 is the least busiest. 77 has the national recreation around it on much of the route between Cleveland and Akron and has less development around it. Plus Akronites working in Cleveland can also travel route 8 and I-271 to get into town. However on the South west side I-71 is the only major freeway to get in to town and it has alot of suburban and exurban development along its route and to add to all of that it is a major trucking route as it connects Cleveland with Columbus and Cincinnati and the rest of the country.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Cleveland Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCle View Post
From what I understand out of all of Cleveland's interstates I-90, I-77, I-71 and 480 and 490, 480 is the busiest and 77 is the least busiest. 77 has the national recreation around it on much of the route between Cleveland and Akron and has less development around it. Plus Akronites working in Cleveland can also travel route 8 and I-271 to get into town. However on the South west side I-71 is the only major freeway to get in to town and it has alot of suburban and exurban development along its route and to add to all of that it is a major trucking route as it connects Cleveland with Columbus and Cincinnati and the rest of the country.
Thanks you MABCle. Would you also comment on why 480 is the busiest, please?

I think I might be able to find out the volumes of these major roads, I will report back soon.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:42 PM

^No problem. While I can't pin one main reason for 480 being the busiest, there are a few reasons that may be behind it.

First it connects the East and West sides of the city and is a heavy truck route.

Additionally commuters from the far south east and south west 'burbs use this freeway to get to work on the other side of town or to eventually get on 71, 77 or OH-176 to get downtown.

Next the freeway may be used as a bypass route for drivers who don't want to continue on the Ohio Turnpike(I-80) thru the Cleveland area or go thru Downtown Cleveland itself.. The freeway also takes you to the Airport area.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Default 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCle View Post
^No problem. While I can't pin one main reason for 480 being the busiest, there are a few reasons that may be behind it.

First it connects the East and West sides of the city and is a heavy truck route.

Additionally commuters from the far south east and south west 'burbs use this freeway to get to work on the other side of town or to eventually get on 71, 77 or OH-176 to get downtown.

Next the freeway may be used as a bypass route for drivers who don't want to continue on the Ohio Turnpike(I-80) thru the Cleveland area or go thru Downtown Cleveland itself.. The freeway also takes you to the Airport area.
It appeared to me that 480 retains its name within Cuyahoga County. Outside the county, its number name changes. It is also the only principal route running laterally. Thanks again.

MABCle, I am interested in knowing your top 3 neighborhoods to live in with infants on the westside and southside.

On the westside, Westlake and Rocky River are the ones I find likeable. On the southside, I like Brecksville.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:12 PM

Don't forget I-90 also runs East-West thru Cleveland Connecting downtown with the Far flung 'burbs east and west.

Top three on the west side would be

Rocky River- solid safe city, but still close enough to Lakewood and Cleveland where there is more of a bar scene in case you want to "get away" sometimes.

Fairview Park for the same reasons as Rocky River.

I like Independence over Brecksville just because its a little closer to town. They have the same overall feel though in my opinion.

Westlake and Strongsville are pretty interchangeable to me they both have a large mall and a good amount of new home construction. The only differences are Westlake is closer to the Lake/beach (if that matters to you) and Strongsville has alot more traffic congestion from what i've seen.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:30 AM

43 posts, read 247,543 times
480 changes names because it basically becomes the turnpike if you stay on it. Westlake, Rocky River, and Brecksville are going to be pricey. I didnt see what range you want to stay in. If you like the Brecksville area, then you should also check out North Royalton. It will be priced a little less and still has very good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland