Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 8,470 times

Advertisements

There's a chance my husband will be accepting a job offer in Cleveland and we would be relocating from Michigan. I've been trying to do some research on safe, affordable, and family-friendly neighborhoods near Cleveland, but am at a loss. My husband's job will be closer to the Parma area, and we will be renting until he gets settled in. However, I would like to rent/stay within the same community so we don't have to uproot our children again.

We *think* we've narrowed down two potential locations - Parma and Medina. Which, in your opinion, is better for a young family?

Also, what is the job market like? The job market here in Mid-Michigan is terrible. Eventually I will need to go back to work and I have banking experience but am pursuing a degree in the healthcare field (billing/coding).

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,828,808 times
I don't know a ton about either (despite working near Parma), but my impression of this question, Parma or Medina, is that it's on par with which is better, Bud Light or Coors Light? That said, I know less about Medina than I do Parma, but I'd take the gamble and not live in Parma.

Job-wise, you should be in good shape. There are a number of large bank presences here and you have Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals as the big hospital presences. Seems like there are job postings fairly often so shouldn't be too bad finding something.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,564,153 times
Medina is more on the upswing; Parma is better connected to Cleveland.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:56 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,097,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
my impression of this question, Parma or Medina, is that it's on par with which is better, Bud Light or Coors Light?
This

Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,358,173 times
Both lame.

If forced, Parma. But I mean, like, foooorrrcceeeed.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM

801 posts, read 2,558,886 times
How about Lakewood?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:59 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,256,536 times
What are you looking for in a neighborhood and how did you narrow your list to those two suburbs, if I may ask? Just curious because my impression is that they're actually really different from one another and you may actually have better options based on your preferences.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,477,632 times
Medina is traffic all the time. Like ALL the time (it grew way too fast) and you have to drive everywhere out is so spread out. Maybe nicer people though, and probably better for families but super boring for most. Parma is more blue collar, a helluva lot closer to Cleveland and has some decent nightlife. I would still pick Parma out of those two choices, but I have to echo the other two guys, why just those two places?

Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 8,470 times
Thanks for the feedback!

We have two small children so we're looking for an area with decent public schools. I've read on other forums that Medina has a good school system. We also want to live someplace that doesn't have a lot of crime and blight (we're coming from a Flint area suburb.... we've seen enough blight and crime-ridden areas to last us a lifetime). We like biking and spending time outdoors, so we would like to be near neighborhood parks. Basically, a neighborhood that is family friendly with some options as far as outdoor activities go. A sense of community is important, too. But, we don't want to live where people are like the pretentious, gossipy, keep up with the Jones' type.

Medina seems like it's a little more quieter than Parma. I like that it's close to both Cleveland and Akron, which gives me some options when I reenter the workforce.

We are thinking about Parma because it's within close proximity to where my husband will be working and apartment rent seems a little more affordable in that area. However, I can't seem to find any information on the school systems.

We're not much for nightlife anymore, so that's not really important to us.

So, anymore insight you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by beautifulxoblivion; 06-19-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 PM

16,484 posts, read 19,538,931 times
I would suggest Fairview Park. Fits all your criteria to a "T".
Great schools, good amenities (parks, rec center, library), borders Cleveland, no blight, and also borders the famous "Cleveland Metro Parks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland