Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you favor a freeway bridge over LK Erie to Chatham-Kent?
Yes, a shorter trip would be great! 6 33.33%
Nope! I'd favor a scenic route! 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

A ferry would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 04:28 PM

220 posts, read 321,645 times
I originally voted for the bridge because I would like a shorter route , but I rather it be a ferry. It would be a quickest and easiest solution.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:00 PM

182 posts, read 272,753 times
until the early 1950s, there were many , many passenger ships and ferries on Lake Erie----the superhighways ended that...Governor Rhodes used to talk in the 1960s about "a bridge to Canada"....it never happened

Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
Well, I have a friend who lives there, and I came to learn that it's a fairly large city off of Lake Erie.
Chatham-Kent (2011 population 103,671) is a single-tier municipality in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. Mostly rural, its centres of population are Blenheim, Chatham, Dresden, Ridgetown, Tilbury and Wallaceburg.

Area[1]
• Land 2,458.09 km2 (949.07 sq mi)

Population (2011)[1]
• Municipality 103,671 (Ranked 50th)
• Density 42.2/km2 (109/sq mi)
• Urban 44,074 (Chatham)
10,163 (Wallaceburg)
4,563 (Blenheim)

104,000 people spread across 949 square miles with a density of 109 people per square mile. That would literally be a bridge or ferry to nowhere. Might as well build a bridge to Amish Country; that has the same density as Holmes County.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,901 times
There is nowhere near enough justification to build what would be world's longest road bridge for the amount of traffic between Cleveland and Ontario. A ferry would definitely be a better option.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:55 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
I don't think a bridge over Lake Erie would be feasible. I'm sure one could be built with enough money, but a 50 mile stretch of bridge with no services and no alternative route would be a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

At various times, there's been talk about ferries over Lakes Erie and Ontario here in New York. There was some talk of a ferry between Dunkirk, NY and Port Colburne, ON a few years that came to nothing. A company actually tried to get a ferry service going between Rochester, NY and Toronto, ON, within the last decade but they had mechanical troubles with the actual ferry boat(s) and possibly financial woes, and shut down soon after opening.

I think that some of the issues with ferries on either Erie or Ontario is that they would require:
  • large ferry boats to make the trips safe
  • lots of traffic to make them affordable
  • lots of scheduled trips to make them convenient
  • customs stations at either end.
PS... If you'd like to take a much shorter ride on a much smaller car ferry, the historic Stowe Ferry across Chautauqua Lake in the southwestern corner of NYS runs on the weekends in the summer for donations. The ferry has been in operation since the early 1800s and was the only way to cross Chautauqua Lake until the I-86 bridge was built back in the 1980s.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:21 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
It's all about purpose, trip duration, and destination. The purpose would only be for passenger vehicles as the commercial shipping routes are already there. If Toronto was located across the lake, a bridge or large ferry service would probably make commercial sense. Right now, anyone from NEO can get to Toronto in 5.5 hours by car (Windsor in about 3.5 hours). A 50 mile ferry ride would likely take around 2 hours. The remaining trip from Chatham-Kent to Toronto would take another 3 hours. So, maybe you would save 0.5-1 hour maximum on a ferry to either city and that doesn't really even consider wait times, loading and unloading times, inevitable weather delays, customs, costs, etc. The bottom line is that either idea is an expensive proposition and their benefits, at least at present, would be far outweighed by the costs.

I think that if anything is tried, it should be a light ferry service of around 2 trips per day to see if the idea has any traction.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:02 AM

74 posts, read 223,711 times
No chance on the bridge, and I really think the ferry would be a failure. Are there that many people clamoring to go to Chatham? Or are there that many people from Chatham excited about the idea of coming to Cleveland? If anything, I would say the Ferry MIGHT have decent ridership very very early on... but ultimately that would taper very quickly and it would eventually die.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmesh View Post
No chance on the bridge, and I really think the ferry would be a failure. Are there that many people clamoring to go to Chatham? Or are there that many people from Chatham excited about the idea of coming to Cleveland? If anything, I would say the Ferry MIGHT have decent ridership very very early on... but ultimately that would taper very quickly and it would eventually die.
It wouldn't be a much of a timesaver to get to Detroit or Toronto. I don't see why there would be any demand to expedite travel to rural Ontario. It doesn't make any sense.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times
What about sending it somewhere like Port Stanley, which is already an established little beach town, and is about 25 miles south of a fairly substantial city in London?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland