Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:36 AM

220 posts, read 321,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Its not too cheap to be real, its just Ohio...you get what you pay for. While it may be alot slower pace of life than what you're used to in L.A., there is not nearly as much to do around here as there is there.
Well let me correct that, there is in the summer months but that leaves you with a whole 3 months of activities.

This couldn't be the any further from the truth, if you are a fit and active person and likes doing outdoor activities, then be prepared for about 7 months in the winter of being indoors. Far from what you're used to with the constant sunny skies of SoCal, which i much prefer myself. The quality of life IMO here is poor, just go to a "beach" in Cle and you will see. I was there yesterday, and couldn't be more disgusted with just about every aspect of it. I'm sorry, i don't mean to be the pessimistic one here, and i already know i'm going to get grief about it, but while the COL is pretty cheap here, it comes with a different price. If you don't mind the cloudy, dreary, cold, long winter months, then its perfect for you and i say go ahead, but if you are more like me that enjoy warm, sunny, clear days, then you might want to think otherwise. Good Luck!

you're right this isn't true at all, you think winter starts after august, really?? this past winter it didn't start snowing until January and ended at the beginning of April. Winter here is 4 months Tops, but it really doesn't snow here unless you're on the eastside.

I will admit though I have a bias against summer because I hate being hot, but that's no reason to exaggerate things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 01:31 PM

182 posts, read 272,800 times
Hi Mamacita!
Please don't be discouraged by the naysayers about weather here. Your husband as a Toledoan probably knows the weather well. The average high temperature even in January and February is over 30 degrees. And that is quite bearable, except in the pretty seldom snowstorm with wind. As a kid, i HATED winter...but now i have learned that by wearing a simply insulated jacket [cost $100] and gloves, a hat, and waterproof shoes or ankle high boots...I can very comfortably walk, ride my bike etc. outside anytime it is above 15 degrees...it just is NOT that cold. The other improvement since I was a kid? Cars now have front wheel drive and steel belted radial tires...they are amazing. In commuting downtown to work, i missed ONE day in two decades.
As for locations, I'd recommend Lake County, several quaint towns...look into Willoughby, charming little downtown, safe, good schools, 20 minutes from the museums, orchestra, Indians ballpark, etc...the early fall can be quite gray and cloudy [because the cold air from Canada meets the warm water of the Lake...] but this is November and December...by January the water has cooled and there are crisp sunny winter days...seriously, the weather is fine!

Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Yea it never fails to amaze me how people exaggerate winter.
It's grey all winter (not close to true)
It's 6 months long (not close to true)

As ess said, last year:
September was in the 70's and 50's at night. October was very similar except for a one week cold snap where it got a bit cold I think that was the 2nd week.. it actually warmed up after that and got nice again.
(People ALWAYS forgot Oct is actually a pretty nice month MUCH more often then not).
It actually DID snow once in Nov and maybe twice in Dec but any significant storms weren't really until January.
This was probably the sunniest winter I remember in a few years.
April was HORRIBLE... cold but certainly not snowy at all. May was a bit cold too, and rainy, but not extremely cold and that was VERY unusual. Spring got off to a very slow start but the worst weather was gone by early April.

Yep... 6 MONTHS of winter.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 PM

440 posts, read 595,404 times
Post Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea it never fails to amaze me how people exaggerate winter.
It's grey all winter (not close to true)
It's 6 months long (not close to true)

Yep... 6 MONTHS of winter.
*Sigh*
This took me a whole 5 mins to find, but yet i'm the bad guy for "exaggerating" the truth about our winter weather.
America's Worst Winter Weather Cities - Forbes

5 Worst Winter Weather Cities | Farmers' Almanac

Cloudiest Cities in US - Current Results

Snowiest Cities in United States - Current Results

For the most part, winter DOES start in November, granted you might have a few days of "Indian Summer" but then its all downhill from there until April. The truth is out there *Proof*

Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
*Sigh*
This took me a whole 5 mins to find, but yet i'm the bad guy for "exaggerating" the truth about our winter weather.
America's Worst Winter Weather Cities - Forbes

5 Worst Winter Weather Cities | Farmers' Almanac

Cloudiest Cities in US - Current Results

Snowiest Cities in United States - Current Results

For the most part, winter DOES start in November, granted you might have a few days of "Indian Summer" but then its all downhill from there until April. The truth is out there *Proof*
You are obsessed with winter in the middle of the summer. Have you considered finding a hobby?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You are obsessed with winter in the middle of the summer. Have you considered finding a hobby?
LOL actually i'm not, just defending myself with proof, i know sometimes the truth hurts

Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
LOL actually i'm not, just defending myself with proof, i know sometimes the truth hurts
Well you certainly had me fooled with your obsessive weather posting. My bad.

I'm not even gonna bother going over the misleadingness of the links you posted either. Bottom line- if you wanna be miserable, be miserable. Don't try to bring everyone else with you.

By the way, it's 59 degrees, completely cloudy, and rainy where I am now. It's perfect.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well you certainly had me fooled with your obsessive weather posting. My bad.

I'm not even gonna bother going over the misleadingness of the links you posted either. Bottom line- if you wanna be miserable, be miserable. Don't try to bring everyone else with you.

By the way, it's 59 degrees, completely cloudy, and rainy where I am now. It's perfect.
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree then. Everyone has their preference of living, mine just happens to be with palm trees and warm weather year round unfortantely whereas others prefer cooler weather and cloudy skies. Everyone should be able to live where it makes them happy

Old 07-27-2013, 11:06 AM

434 posts, read 1,164,635 times
Quote:
*Sigh*

Astronomical Winter begins on the Winter Solstice, which is a few days before Christmas, December 25th. Meteorological Winter begins on December 1st.

The truth is out there *Proof*

Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM

182 posts, read 272,800 times
They count a day in Cleveland as "cloudy" if the sky is 1/3 cloudy....so much for accuracy...

As for the land of palm trees being pleasant all year around? I have 2 very good friends who relocated to Florida.....they say that many people visit Fl in December, and get the idea that it is 75 degrees and sunny there all year....realtors promote this notion....my friends say that the reality is, once you move there you discover that "summer" in Fl is SEVEN months of nonstop jungle humidity, beastly heat, and glaring sunlight....plus daily afternoon thunderstorms with the most lightening in the USA....then after the daily storm, the humidity and heat and sun ratchet up another level....ever wonder why the rich go to FL for just 3 months from Nov to Feb?...then they FLEE from the heat and humidity...just facts...so take your pick...2 to 3 chilly months here that you can "dress for"---or 7 beastly months in Fl where everyone hibernates in their homes and offices and has to get into 110 degree car interiors several times per day...there is a reason why the early settlers wanted OHIO, not Florida...without a/c everywhere Fl is unbearable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland