Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 PM

213 posts, read 322,936 times

Advertisements

Had to ask this because a great many people on here seem to be of the conviction that Cleveland is Northeastern and not Midwestern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Why are you people so fascinated by these stupid comparisons? Every month there is a new thread where someone asks if Cleveland is northeastern or midwestern or whatever. Some people (usually outer ring suburban people) will say it's definitely the midwest. People that have lived in the city and then people like me, who ya know, actually live in the northeast, will come and say that they see some similarities, but overall, is neither northeastern or midwestern. Other people will take the opportunity to then compare Cleveland to Columbus yet again (Columbus being an example of a true "midwest" city) Then the conversation goes to how we should call ourselves a "Great Lakes city" like Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester. A lot of people will agree with the Great Lakes assessment, but then people like you come on and all you hear is "Cleveland = basically Boston", having miscontrued what I said about places like Shaker Square, Shaker Heights in general, Public Square, being founded by New Englanders with being hard evidence that Cleveland is a misplaced northeastern city, when in reality it's just pointing out that there ARE similarities with the northeast. Then you guys will come on and make another thread to try to get to the bottom of this meaningless subject. Rinse and repeat.

Oh I forgot, we could also talk about how the east side is a certain way and the west side is a different way, then someone can claim that their side is obviously better. That's always fun too.

So... do we need to have this conversation again, or is this summary sufficient for you? It would be nice to have a real discussion on this forum every once in a while.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
I'd say Cleveland is more like Milwaukee than like Philadelphia. The times I've been to Milwaukee it did indeed remind me very much of Cleveland in size and scale and some other aspects.

As for where Cleveland places in the regional scheme of things, I'd say it's a Midwestern city with Northeastern influences.

People like to compare cities because it's fun. At least for some of us urban geeks.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 PM

Really groundbreaking stuff. Never heard anybody think Cleveland was similar to Milwaukee before. Fascinating.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'd say Cleveland is more like Milwaukee than like Philadelphia. The times I've been to Milwaukee it did indeed remind me very much of Cleveland in size and scale and some other aspects.

As for where Cleveland places in the regional scheme of things, I'd say it's a Midwestern city with Northeastern influences.

People like to compare cities because it's fun. At least for some of us urban geeks.
Milwaukee seems too small to be compared to Cleveland. I suppose there are parallels - both on a lake, seem to foster a music scene, etc. But other than that I think Cleveland has the feel of a larger city whereas Milwaukee seems very small town to me.

This impression could be subject to small sample bias as I've only been to either city a handful of times. Never lived in either one.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Why are you people so fascinated by these stupid comparisons? Every month there is a new thread where someone asks if Cleveland is northeastern or midwestern or whatever. Some people (usually outer ring suburban people) will say it's definitely the midwest. People that have lived in the city and then people like me, who ya know, actually live in the northeast, will come and say that they see some similarities, but overall, is neither northeastern or midwestern. Other people will take the opportunity to then compare Cleveland to Columbus yet again (Columbus being an example of a true "midwest" city) Then the conversation goes to how we should call ourselves a "Great Lakes city" like Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Buffalo, Rochester. A lot of people will agree with the Great Lakes assessment, but then people like you come on and all you hear is "Cleveland = basically Boston", having miscontrued what I said about places like Shaker Square, Shaker Heights in general, Public Square, being founded by New Englanders with being hard evidence that Cleveland is a misplaced northeastern city, when in reality it's just pointing out that there ARE similarities with the northeast. Then you guys will come on and make another thread to try to get to the bottom of this meaningless subject. Rinse and repeat.

Oh I forgot, we could also talk about how the east side is a certain way and the west side is a different way, then someone can claim that their side is obviously better. That's always fun too.

So... do we need to have this conversation again, or is this summary sufficient for you? It would be nice to have a real discussion on this forum every once in a while.
Or people from Lakewood.

Actually I would argue that Cleveland's city areas are usually more midwestern, and its suburban areas are usually more northeastern -- with exceptions, of course.

As for your first sentence, the one with the most posts on this thread is...you.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Or people from Lakewood.

Actually I would argue that Cleveland's city areas are usually more midwestern, and its suburban areas are usually more northeastern -- with exceptions, of course.

As for your first sentence, the one with the most posts on this thread is...you.
umm read much? I'm dismissing this premise as completely out of hand and stupid. Nice logic bruh.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,311 times
good god , some people respond like it is the end of the world .
Has anyone taken the time to read all of this OP's threads ?
The question did not come from a CLEVELANDER .
Past people from Cleveland please shut up.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,126,326 times
I've never been to either Philadelphia or Milwaukee, but IMO, from the people I've encountered from those places, we are more similar to Philadelphia. We are both former industrial cities that have a lot of grit to them, but also a lot of wealthy areas. Both of our cities have been the butts of jokes, and people from both places seem to have low self-esteem about their cities. Both have similar sarcastic senses of humor. We seem to have similar racial demographics. We have similar weather. I feel the attitudes are similar; more laid back than the North East, but not as laid back as the Midwest. I've heard people from Philadelphia say they have a soft spot for Cleveland, and I feel the same way about Philadelphia. I really feel like we are sister cities.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:14 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
I lived in Philly, CLE and visit Milwaukee almost every month. Milwaukee is very similar, Philly is no where like CLE..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland