Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:05 PM

23 posts, read 112,068 times

Advertisements

I am writing as someone who grew up in Cleveland, moved away for 11 years to live in DC and went out of my way to move back. Granted my situation changed from single girl to wife and mother of 3 during that time, but I feel I need to write to announce that Cleveland is a fabulous city.

It has some of the best medical facilities in the WORLD. It has top-rated schools and universities. It has a world renowned orchestra and unbelieveable cultural and art museums.

Surely there is Cleveland pride outside the dawg pound, right?

Living in DC made me ache for the friendly faces here. On the East Coast, you can stand in line at the grocery store for 35 minutes and no one strikes up a conversation. No one says hello unless they know you.

In DC, traffic blows. I lived 13 miles from home to work and it took me an hour each way.

It does not snow like it does in Cleveland, but if it MIGHT snow, they close the schools...just in case. If it actually DOES snow, you are trapped in your $500,000 800 sq ft house for 3 days because they don't know how to plow.

In Cleveland, people care about you, not your job, not your handbag, not the car you drive or the amount of money in your paycheck.

Here, I order a sandwich at a deli and end up learning of a mutual friend between me and the sandwich guy. That would NEVER happen in DC.

I worked 2 blocks from the White House and we needed to have security drills in case our building was hit in an attack. We needed to submit in-case-of-a-terrorist-attack forms to HR with next of kin information. It was necessary to have all that, of course, but it was all consuming. And depressing.

So how about we start cheering the praises of Cleveland? This is a GREAT city with GREAT people. Enough with the bashing already!!

Okay, I have put my pom pons down now.

Signed,
So happy to be back!

P.S. If you reply that Cleveland has snobs, too, my answer is NO KIDDING. I don't mean to generalize in either direction. I am simply stating my observations. So please don't ignore my point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeToComeHome View Post

Living in DC made me ache for the friendly faces here. On the East Coast, you can stand in line at the grocery store for 35 minutes and no one strikes up a conversation. No one says hello unless they know you.
I'd like to move to the East Coast for that very reason. I hate having people talk to me in line, because they are usually either the annoying, complaining, prices-are-soaring-through-the-roof type, or they are the blissfully cheery, always smiling, extroverted type, which is equally annoying. Or they are the type with bad breath that violate my personal space and insist on carrying on a conversation six inches from my face...

But seriously, I'm glad you are happy to be back in Cleveland. It's not for everyone, but for some it is a good fit.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-19-2007, 02:22 PM

355 posts, read 869,279 times
I recently visited Cleveland and was impressed with the Great Lakes Science center, the Cleveland Browns Stadium, and Jacobs field. The promenade connecting the stadium, science center, and Rock and roll hall of fame was also clean and the architecture was impressive. Also the water quality (taste) was really good. At night on a Friday, granted there was a Cavaliers game that night, the downtown area was bustling. I would highly recommend Cleveland for a visit or weekend getaway.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM

23 posts, read 112,068 times
Ha! Point taken!

For the record, I wasn't including the unwelcomed conversations from people that complain, nor was I including people that giggle after every sentence. I don't like them no matter WHERE I go. And yet they always seem to find me.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM

302 posts, read 1,101,231 times
Impressed with the science center?HA give me a break. That place is a joke. I don't understand why they didn't actually make a world class science center. Of course that might be because they didn't want little hoodlems destroying all the pricier exhibits.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:19 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
Impressed with the science center?HA give me a break. That place is a joke. I don't understand why they didn't actually make a world class science center. Of course that might be because they didn't want little hoodlems destroying all the pricier exhibits.
You're a very ignorant person.

hopetocomehome, visit urbanohio.com/forums for more people like you!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:56 PM

302 posts, read 1,101,231 times
Default What??

I'm an ignorant person??So its my fault that the Science Center is lously, or at times the unsupervised kids running about. I can say that I do love I-Max movies, and that is probably one of the only good things I can think of there. In all seriousness though, if they're going to build something in Cleveland, I want it to be worthwhile to go to. The Art Museum how ever ugly the outside is, is great. Its got a good selection of art work for a city like Cleveland, and its free. The city has some good cultural stuff, and some not too good things either.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeToComeHome View Post
I am writing as someone who grew up in Cleveland, moved away for 11 years to live in DC and went out of my way to move back. Granted my situation changed from single girl to wife and mother of 3 during that time, but I feel I need to write to announce that Cleveland is a fabulous city.

It has some of the best medical facilities in the WORLD. It has top-rated schools and universities. It has a world renowned orchestra and unbelieveable cultural and art museums.

Surely there is Cleveland pride outside the dawg pound, right?

In DC, traffic blows. I lived 13 miles from home to work and it took me an hour each way.

It does not snow like it does in Cleveland, but if it MIGHT snow, they close the schools...just in case. If it actually DOES snow, you are trapped in your $500,000 800 sq ft house for 3 days because they don't know how to plow.

In Cleveland, people care about you, not your job, not your handbag, not the car you drive or the amount of money in your paycheck.

Here, I order a sandwich at a deli and end up learning of a mutual friend between me and the sandwich guy. That would NEVER happen in DC.

I worked 2 blocks from the White House and we needed to have security drills in case our building was hit in an attack. We needed to submit in-case-of-a-terrorist-attack forms to HR with next of kin information. It was necessary to have all that, of course, but it was all consuming. And depressing.

So how about we start cheering the praises of Cleveland? This is a GREAT city with GREAT people. Enough with the bashing already!!

Okay, I have put my pom pons down now.

Signed,
So happy to be back!

P.S. If you reply that Cleveland has snobs, too, my answer is NO KIDDING. I don't mean to generalize in either direction. I am simply stating my observations. So please don't ignore my point!
If you compare Cleveland to DC I would have to agree with your point. Our opinions are all relative to our own experiences and preferences. Based on that I will also disagree with you since I found a much better place to live than Cleveland. Tucson Arizona rocks and I hope to never return to Cleveland unless it is only to visit my friends and family for a few days. Glad that you are happy about your return, good luck to you!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Everybody calm down and speak about the topic or the thread will be closed and infractions will follow.
Yac.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,249 times
The hoodlums comment was ignorant and unneccessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland