Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:42 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,919,258 times

Advertisements

^Baltimore's pretty similar. There was some guy here a few days ago saying Baltimore was significantly ahead of Cleveland in terms of how the city is doing. I'd love to know what the hell he was referring to, because I have no idea. Pittsburgh's a great town but is bleeding population just like Cleveland -- it doesn't get bagged on like Cleveland for three reasons: 1) it doesn't have ghettos that extend for miles like Cleveland's, 2) it's got more of an East Coast connection so it's considered cool on some level by the coastal elites, and 3) it's sports teams don't suck. Memphis's city neighborhoods and public schools are ghastly. Buffalo is Cleveland, but smaller. Kansas City is absolute crap east of a major north-south thoroughfare. Cincinnati has had race riots in this century. I think "here's why your city sucks..." would be a fun article, maybe I'll write it.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,526,729 times
These theories and assessments of credibility and claims of people not knowing what they are talking about are hilarious. Is this a new Cleveland fad or something? Take note:

1. Lived in NE Ohio suburbs for 28 years, graduated from CSU, worked at one of the Fortune 500 companies in Cleveland for 6 years. Worked in NE suburbs as well.

2. Moved to south MS and lived and worked there for 4 years. Enjoyed it very much, but missed friends and family.

3. Lived and worked in Cbus for a year. Loved it.

4. Lived in a condo in Mason Ohio (Kings Island) for a year. Bought a house in Mason after a long review of the Cincinnati area.

I could have bought a home anywhere I wanted, but decided I wanted to be in Ohio. I wanted to be somewhat close to family, but wanted to experience a new area. I tested the waters of Mason and Cincy, and decided to reside here. Based on what I know about Cleveland (I feel that I have forgotten more than most know about the place) I decided that I didn't want to live there. More power to the ones that do.

I don't have kids, love where I live, and I can visit Cleveland whenever I damn well please, which is often in the summer. Right now, it's an optimal situation. I travel whenever I want for work, so living in a city to keep me "less bored" makes no sense. I'm entertained plenty and when I'm home, I like the peace and quiet that the suburb life offers. Excellent school system that I feel will cause my home value to appreciate. It's called a win win situation.

Signed: A credible source that doesn't have a one tract "city booster" mentality that trolls the opinions of anyone who has a negative assessment of Cleveland or it's suburbs.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,328,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
These theories and assessments of credibility and claims of people not knowing what they are talking about are hilarious. Is this a new Cleveland fad or something? Take note:

1. Lived in NE Ohio suburbs for 28 years, graduated from CSU, worked at one of the Fortune 500 companies in Cleveland for 6 years. Worked in NE suburbs as well.

2. Moved to south MS and lived and worked there for 4 years. Enjoyed it very much, but missed friends and family.

3. Lived and worked in Cbus for a year. Loved it.

4. Lived in a condo in Mason Ohio (Kings Island) for a year. Bought a house in Mason after a long review of the Cincinnati area.

I could have bought a home anywhere I wanted, but decided I wanted to be in Ohio. I wanted to be somewhat close to family, but wanted to experience a new area. I tested the waters of Mason and Cincy, and decided to reside here. Based on what I know about Cleveland (I feel that I have forgotten more than most know about the place) I decided that I didn't want to live there. More power to the ones that do.

I don't have kids, love where I live, and I can visit Cleveland whenever I damn well please, which is often in the summer. Right now, it's an optimal situation. I travel whenever I want for work, so living in a city to keep me "less bored" makes no sense. I'm entertained plenty and when I'm home, I like the peace and quiet that the suburb life offers. Excellent school system that I feel will cause my home value to appreciate. It's called a win win situation.

Signed: A credible source that doesn't have a one tract "city booster" mentality that trolls the opinions of anyone who has a negative assessment of Cleveland or it's suburbs.
That's a tremendous story. I am proud of you.

One thing most of these people have in common: having not lived in Cleveland for quite a long time and spending most of the time visiting and when they were growing up in the suburbs.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
That's a tremendous story. I am proud of you.

One thing most of these people have in common: having not lived in Cleveland for quite a long time and spending most of the time visiting and when they were growing up in the suburbs.
Thank you. I do what I can. By "these people" you must be referring to objective and credible posters who haven't spent most of their time living in the city. I feel that these people are more credible because they aren't biased and not emotionally attached.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,087,711 times
Quote:
Thank you. I do what I can. By "these people" you must be referring to objective and credible posters who haven't spent most of their time living in the city. I feel that these people are more credible because they aren't biased and not emotionally attached.
Not biased? Hardly. You may not be biased for the city, but you're certainly biased against it.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
This is awesome logic.

Be real, we're talking about a city, not someone's little brother or sister or their parents, girlfriend, or kitten. "Emotionally attached?" Come on.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 PM

79 posts, read 144,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
^Baltimore's pretty similar. There was some guy here a few days ago saying Baltimore was significantly ahead of Cleveland in terms of how the city is doing. I'd love to know what the hell he was referring to, because I have no idea. Pittsburgh's a great town but is bleeding population just like Cleveland -- it doesn't get bagged on like Cleveland for three reasons: 1) it doesn't have ghettos that extend for miles like Cleveland's, 2) it's got more of an East Coast connection so it's considered cool on some level by the coastal elites, and 3) it's sports teams don't suck. Memphis's city neighborhoods and public schools are ghastly. Buffalo is Cleveland, but smaller. Kansas City is absolute crap east of a major north-south thoroughfare. Cincinnati has had race riots in this century. I think "here's why your city sucks..." would be a fun article, maybe I'll write it.
I agree with your assessment of buffalo. Never been to KC, but have heard its not great. I take back what I said about St. Louis. St. Louis, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh all have very highly ranked universities within or close to their city limits. Cleveland has CWRU, which is closer is reputation to Wayne State.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali1976 View Post
Cleveland has CWRU, which is closer is reputation to Wayne State.
Wow. Uhh no. Case is in at #37.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...rsities/page+2

Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 PM

79 posts, read 144,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Wow. Uhh no. Case is in at #37.
Uhhhh #37 isn't that great

Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Not biased? Hardly. You may not be biased for the city, but you're certainly biased against it.
How am I biased against it? I still visit regularly and have customers that I visit in the city itself. I don't want to see the city fail, as that is bad for my business. I just happen to have a difference of opinion and choose not to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland