Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM

816 posts, read 1,394,685 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved here to the east side. got a little studio in university circle. i've lived on the west side all my life, so the east side is a whole different world to me. from what i have read and also experienced so far, it is clear that the east side is more run down and has more poverty than the west. i am gawked at quite often for what i'm assuming is because i am one of the few white people around. i have also already experienced my first shooting ever and have only been here about 2 weeks.

there is so much potential out here on the east side and i also love what they have done to the fairfax/uptown/midtown/UC area. mainly hospital expansion, but great nonetheless. from what i have observed, UC is definitely one of the nicer/nicest parts of the east side, fairfax has some decent parts, not too sure about hough, i have heard glenville is pretty rough, not sure about central, heard asia town is "up and coming", shaker square is very nice, also not too sure about the south eastern parts near slavic village and such.

please correct me if i am wrong about anything and also fill me in on the east side neighborhoods. which ones are more safe and which ones to stay out of? which areas are up and coming and being revitalized?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
I just recently moved here to the east side. got a little studio in university circle. i've lived on the west side all my life, so the east side is a whole different world to me. from what i have read and also experienced so far, it is clear that the east side is more run down and has more poverty than the west. i am gawked at quite often for what i'm assuming is because i am one of the few white people around. i have also already experienced my first shooting ever and have only been here about 2 weeks.

there is so much potential out here on the east side and i also love what they have done to the fairfax/uptown/midtown/UC area. mainly hospital expansion, but great nonetheless. from what i have observed, UC is definitely one of the nicer/nicest parts of the east side, fairfax has some decent parts, not too sure about hough, i have heard glenville is pretty rough, not sure about central, heard asia town is "up and coming", shaker square is very nice, also not too sure about the south eastern parts near slavic village and such.

please correct me if i am wrong about anything and also fill me in on the east side neighborhoods. which ones are more safe and which ones to stay out of? which areas are up and coming and being revitalized?

thanks!
I think Little Italy/UC, Larchmere, Shaker Square are the best areas in the city proper. North Collinwood is up and coming. I think Slavic Village is worth a visit personally. A walk around the area by St. Stan's and eating at the Red Chimney is nice. I've been trying to eat my way through Asiatown too. The other good east side neighborhoods are really in Cleveland Heights. I'd recommend going to Coventry and Cedar-Lee for some entertainment. I like the area by Cain Park too, though I'm sure many people will object. But in the summer, there are nice events at the park and some restaurants in the area, plus just down the street from Cedar-Lee and close to an ice rink.

Shaker Lakes are really nice to visit when the weather is nice. Further out into the suburbs, I recommend the North Chagrin Reservation (Squire's Castle) and Chagrin Falls, which is a pretty charming town. Really pretty driving to head out there too.

Places I wouldn't visit in general (save for a few gems): Glenville (outside of the cultural gardens), Hough, Lee-Miles, Central, South Collinwood. Pretty much everything near the Red Line from 34th to University Circle.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think Little Italy/UC, Larchmere, Shaker Square are the best areas in the city proper. North Collinwood is up and coming. I think Slavic Village is worth a visit personally. A walk around the area by St. Stan's and eating at the Red Chimney is nice. I've been trying to eat my way through Asiatown too. The other good east side neighborhoods are really in Cleveland Heights. I'd recommend going to Coventry and Cedar-Lee for some entertainment. I like the area by Cain Park too, though I'm sure many people will object. But in the summer, there are nice events at the park and some restaurants in the area, plus just down the street from Cedar-Lee and close to an ice rink.

Shaker Lakes are really nice to visit when the weather is nice. Further out into the suburbs, I recommend the North Chagrin Reservation (Squire's Castle) and Chagrin Falls, which is a pretty charming town. Really pretty driving to head out there too.

Places I wouldn't visit in general (save for a few gems): Glenville (outside of the cultural gardens), Hough, Lee-Miles, Central, South Collinwood. Pretty much everything near the Red Line from 34th to University Circle.
thanks for such a detailed response. it's such a shame that a big chunk of the east side is so run down and crime ridden. i can only hope for a turn around for those neighborhoods.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
thanks for such a detailed response. it's such a shame that a big chunk of the east side is so run down and crime ridden. i can only hope for a turn around for those neighborhoods.
Worth a read.
Unevenly Spread: What Neighborhood Development Really Means in Cleveland and the Challenges Facing CDCs on the Near East and West Sides | Features | Cleveland Scene

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM

great article. appreciate you sharing.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,120,782 times
Unfortunately UC is an island right now. I really hope it changes, and Glenville can improve. I don't understand how some of the streets even right near Case Western can have such run down homes. I never understood why the university doesn't put some money into the neighborhood to help fix it up, like SCAD has done down in Savannah. There are some absolute gems of houses in that area that just need a little (or a lot) of TLC. I do think there's a lot of hope for that area, as the demand is certainly there, and lots of new apartments and condos have been built just in the past year or 2.

Hopefully East Cleveland can merge with Cleveland soon, so that area can be developed as well. With East Cleveland as it is, I don't see much development happening on that side of the circle.

Not sure what you're seeing in Fairfax, but from what I know, it's really one of the worst neighborhoods. Hough is doing a little better, mostly because they built a lot of senior housing and other new housing in that area in the 90's and 2000's. Slavic Village was hit HARD by the foreclosure crisis, but it has great potential, and a lot of people interested in it. Personally, it's my favorite neighborhood in the entire city. Central is pretty rough, but I've seen some new construction happening there lately. Probably subsidized, but still, it's progress.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Unfortunately UC is an island right now. I really hope it changes, and Glenville can improve. I don't understand how some of the streets even right near Case Western can have such run down homes. I never understood why the university doesn't put some money into the neighborhood to help fix it up, like SCAD has done down in Savannah. There are some absolute gems of houses in that area that just need a little (or a lot) of TLC. I do think there's a lot of hope for that area, as the demand is certainly there.

Hopefully East Cleveland can merge with Cleveland soon, so that area can be developed as well. With East Cleveland as it is, I don't see much development happening on that side of the circle.
more like east cleveland can use some demolition. get rid of some of those ugly dilapidated homes and buildings.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,120,782 times
Quote:
more like east cleveland can use some demolition. get rid of some of those ugly dilapidated homes and buildings.
Right, and EC doesn't have the money to do that. Cleveland does.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Right, and EC doesn't have the money to do that. Cleveland does.
of course.... but i wonder how much priority would be put on east cleveland if it were annexed by cleveland? i'd assume not much, but can't get any worse than it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland