U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,088 times

Advertisements

I am a single, 30+ female moving to Cleveland. I wanted to get your opinion on where to live. I am looking for a fun, lively area with a lot of young professionals. I like live music/bars, walkable area, safe(the most important of these factors.) Here is what I want to be able to do: if that is possible. On weekdays, I sometimes work at home so I would like to be able to just step outside, walk(or drive 10-15 minutes) to a lively area (shopping, park, museums etc.) and clear my head. On weekend nights, I like going to upscale bars/lounges or Irish bars or music venues. I am more interested in trendy/chic than artsy/hipster.

I read about downtown and it looks like most of the places I would go on weekdays close at 6/7pm?(The Arcade, tower city) which is early for me.(It is 9pm in other areas of Cleveland) I looked at Lakewood, it has a lower crime rate and pretty densely populated which I like but I hear its not very walkable. I read about Cleveland Heights area, it seems CH is not as safe as Lakewood but its more walkable. Also, more students in this area and I would rather go to an area with an older crowd. I also read about Tremont(Ohio City) but its not that safe either and not walkable, I guess. Ah! Sorry for the long post. My job is stressful as it is I just want to be able to relax when I want Thanks so much in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 10:27 AM

9,641 posts, read 8,867,398 times
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. Tremont and Ohio City aren't walkable? News to me. Ohio City is probably THE MOST walkable neighborhood in Cleveland, Tremont not far behind. It's also definitely safe in general, assuming you'd be looking to live in the more central part of the neighborhood and not on the fringes. Many people with your description live there.

Safety also has more than anything to do with you. Stumbling home drunk at 2:30 am by yourself is a good way to become a statistic. Of all the people I know in Ohio City, I've heard nothing about safety complaints from them. From my own experience there, I've never seen anything worth mentioning. And I actually did used to drunkenly walk from Ohio City down below the bridges in the flats at 2:30 am on more than one occasion in my slightly younger days!

Also, Cleveland Heights and Lakewood are entire cities, not neighborhoods. Parts of Cleveland Heights aren't so great, but other parts are really cool. Cedar-Lee area of CH has more of what you'd be looking for than Coventry, for example.

I'd go on and suggest a few more places, but I really think Ohio City is what you're looking for. I'm sure some other posters will echo that. The lively area you're looking for: W. 25 from Chatham to Jay. This is where the West Side Market is, the Great Lakes Brewing Company, the Cleveland Hostel, and a plethora of other restaurants and bars are located. This area is definitely more trendy than hipstery (hipstery would be more North Collinwood or Gordon Square). There are some more classy places in Ohio City, but if that doesn't fit the bill, you're so close to downtown, just hop on over.

Cedar Lee could also be good too though. Cedar-Lee theater sounds like a place you'd like. You're very close to Shaker Lakes parks, there are some music venues nearby (certainly within a 15 minute drive) like Nighttown (jazz), Grog Shop (usually indie). The CH-UH main library is right on Lee Road and I love that place. It's just not really "chic," but definitely in your age bracket.

Lakewood has good areas too, but as a native east sider, I'll let someone a bit more knowledgable address that.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:57 AM

3,221 posts, read 4,147,569 times
I agree with Bjimmy. However, I just want to add that Lakewood is a very walkable city. Like Cleveland Heights, there are streets that are lined with bars, restaurants, shops, and apartments, that are very nice. It is like a quirkier, more hipster, less Jewish, more gay version of Cleveland Heights.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 AM

2,138 posts, read 4,994,932 times
I would go with Ohio City or Tremont.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,558,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I would go with Ohio City or Tremont.
This. CH is more college-y establishments than trendy/chic.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,088 times
Thank you guys! This was quite helpful.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:15 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,342,988 times
The Lakewood Gold Coast is another neat area to consider as well:

Old 03-15-2014, 12:07 AM

493 posts, read 552,933 times
Shaker Heights has lots of nice apartments and small, but nice houses. Also, it's full of restaurants and near places with more nightlife like Cleveland Heights and Beachwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland