Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:26 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,989,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen35 View Post
What about Rocky River? What type of feel does it have?
Much more homogeneous, architecture isn't nearly as good. But it's a nice place. Schools are good. No Rapid line.

West Side vs. East Side is a whole other debate as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 01:27 PM

372 posts, read 590,042 times
With your budget, You will be able to buy one of the nicest homes in the town here in Rocky River. We have pockets of 1920's mixed with 1950's homes. One small pocket of homes built in the 70's and a range of commercial ammentities. Our schools are well ranked and though, anecdotally I can see a more diverse demographic, statistically we are not very diverse at all.

My kids have been so happy here that we are deciding to settle and stay for a while. I like being close to downtown and close to a more progressive Lakewood, but the lack of diversity does get to me a bit.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,407,256 times
There's no sense in living on the west side if you both work east of the Cuyahoga. The commute wouldn't be worth it, especially considering the fact that suburbs like Rocky River are a dime a dozen in the Cleveland area. Check out Mayfield, Chagrin Falls, Willoughby Hills, etc. All of these towns are on par with (if not better than) Rocky River. Good schools too.

In regards to SH: I'm not sure about Cincinatti, but in Cleveland the "price" you pay for walkable 'hoods and living close to public transit is what the PC police would call "cultural diversity". Well, on the east side at least.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:16 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,827,059 times
I'm probably the most vocal anti-SH schools person on here (in the interest of full disclosure) and while there may be some truth to the test results thing, when we decided to move this summer (from Cleveland Heights), we decided SH schools weren't right for us long term. Your list is pretty much verbatim what we were looking for, but unfortunately, IMO, it doesn't exist in and round Cleveland. For us, we sacrificed some of the other stuff and went with the (let's go with) safer school system. (And I don't mean physical safety, just to be clear.)

That said, Shaker has pretty much everything else you're looking for and maybe there's a good/better elementary school that will work for you or you decide you can live with the schools to have the other stuff.

If I was in your shoes, I'd buy in Shaker and go with a private school. Seems there was a thread recently about the best schools in the area. For us, it wasn't an option financially. Rocky River is another option, but it's going to be a longer commute and you sacrifice diversity.

FWIW, we ended up in Beachwood which has the schools (IMO), but doesn't have as many walk to shopping/cafes areas, the houses skew older (though you can still find some with the older home character, especially in your price range) and the overall community makeup is different. That said, we're happy here so it's worked for us.

But visit SH schools, talk with the teachers, etc. and see what you think. YMMV.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:29 PM

171 posts, read 353,096 times
What's everyone's feeling on Chagrin Falls? Looks like great schools and older homes. Will the commute be awful to East Cleveland? I'm trying to find a few areas to checkout in a quick weekend trip, but don't want to waste my time if it's going to be a bust.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,827,059 times
Solid schools and nice houses - you've certainly got the budget for it. Little to no diversity. The downtown district is often described as New England quaint if that helps identify the feel of it. It's a bit further than I'd probably want to commute, but maybe that depends on where exactly you buy and where in East Cleveland and if you're willing to sacrifice the shorter commute and are okay with the diversity issue, it's a solid option.

FWIW, commute times are going to be pretty drastically different from Raleigh so "longer" might be only 40-50 minutes or so which might be considered short compared to what you're used to.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM

177 posts, read 429,292 times
Highly recommend Chagrin Falls. The commute will be on average 40minute trip going (at the most--maybe less). Chagrin is great, and well worth it. Can't go wrong with the Chagrin, Solon, and Orange school districts!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,091,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
Highly recommend Chagrin Falls. The commute will be on average 40minute trip going (at the most--maybe less). Chagrin is great, and well worth it. Can't go wrong with the Chagrin, Solon, and Orange school districts!
Yeah if you're okay with rampant heroin and other hard drug use, then orange would be great. Every school has it's problems.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:28 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,989,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Yeah if you're okay with rampant heroin and other hard drug use, then orange would be great. Every school has it's problems.
Oh please, GTFOHWTBS.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,091,306 times
Just saying, if people are going to point out the shortcomings of shaker, they should realize that other seemingly " safer " schools have their own issues to deal with. Drugs are a big, known problem there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland