Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:07 PM

372 posts, read 590,318 times

Advertisements

I also would caution you that teaching jobs here are extremely competitive. And as far as your CA wife, I would just say that when I left CA I left so much stress behind. Here, I am able to work part-time because my husbands salary is able support us. The extra time I have to spend with the family is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 06:33 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,137,392 times
I agree, Clev. Collector. My cousins are in Solon. When I told her of some things about Centerville, she was shocked and said, "I promise, not all of Ohio is like that!"

I plan to visit her this summer and she'll cruise me over to Lakewood. The parks look great for families and I want a place that lowers my blood pressure!

I teach, run an auto detailing business, and import towels- another business. I think I could open my business retail location there and retire from teaching. This year, any teacher that retires, gets a 26K check on top of their retirement!

Next: Slowly hint positively things about Cleveland and Lakewood. I feel like Ralphie in Christmas Story when he tries to hint at the bb gun! HA

Old 05-30-2015, 08:33 AM

Just found out that teaching in RRiver would actually equate to more than 12K per year vs. here in SB (cost of living here is 80% more). Wait until my wife hears this!

Also, they top out at 19 years, while it takes 25 in my District.

Gas today is $4.00 per gallon BTW.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:18 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,323,110 times
The flip side of salaries is that many high-paying Ohio school districts don't like to hire experienced teachers because of the much higher salary level. They also don't experience much "churn." Many districts also will offer incentives to encourage highly paid teachers to retire early.

Teacher salaries in Ohio vary very widely from district to district due to higher tax bases and/or higher voted tax rates.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:23 AM

Default Gas Prices

Enter 44107 or other Greater Cleveland zip code to enter the excellent EastCentral AAA website.

www.aaa.com

Then selective "Automotive" and "Fuel Prices" and enter the city name or zip code of interest. The average Lakewood gas price today is $2.67, but several are under $2.60.

Partially this is due to an inadequate Ohio gasoline tax, and partially due to CA special gas formulations to combat smog and limited refinery capacity.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Just found out that teaching in RRiver would actually equate to more than 12K per year vs. here in SB (cost of living here is 80% more). Wait until my wife hears this!

Also, they top out at 19 years, while it takes 25 in my District.

Gas today is $4.00 per gallon BTW.
Historically, RR gets ~3000 applicants per position. Maybe less for more specialized positions. Check Ohio Dept of Ed's certification requirements before you move.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:17 PM

338 posts, read 557,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
Historically, RR gets ~3000 applicants per position.
Holy Toledo

Old 05-31-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
Holy Toledo
When we first moved here in 2008, our neighbor actually moved to CA because she was unable to find a teaching job here.

It is extremely competitive in RR. I forget what you teach, High School History?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:06 PM

Elementary School. I have an "active" reputation.

National Blue Ribbon School...blah, blah, blah and most regard me as that "teacher." If I get an interview, or better, a lesson opportunity, I should be fine. I have not had a desk in over 5 years because I move too much during learning.

Either way, I can sub to get known. I did that near Dayton one year and the principal said, "If you stay, you have a job."

Old 06-01-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Elementary School. I have an "active" reputation.

National Blue Ribbon School...blah, blah, blah and most regard me as that "teacher." If I get an interview, or better, a lesson opportunity, I should be fine. I have not had a desk in over 5 years because I move too much during learning.

Either way, I can sub to get known. I did that near Dayton one year and the principal said, "If you stay, you have a job."
Principals want good teachers. If they can boost their school's rating/outcomes, they are actively recruited by higher-paying (and typically districts with better facilities and students) districts.

Providing a market for more accomplished teaching professionals perhaps is the best thing about school ratings. However, it drains better teaching professionals out of poorer districts where they perhaps are more needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: