Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:28 PM

1,268 posts, read 797,886 times

Advertisements

I travel for work extensively. I accepted a position in Cleveland a while back. It is a nice city with a great downtown. As a fan of public transportation, I attempted to go car-less. While it is possible here, it is certainly not convenient to my schedule. Now, I own a car and drive. Since this change, I must say the roads in Cleveland are horrible. There are pot holes that I am certain could swallow a few city buses. As a relatively new resident, is this normal or due to the heavy wear and tear of winter snow and salt treatment? Will the city fix the roads anytime soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:08 AM

372 posts, read 593,014 times
They are, indeed, awful!! I'll be following this thread to see what the more experienced clevelanders say about this winter's holes compared to past.
Summer is often referred to as orange cone season, so perhaps they will get repaired then.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 AM

246 posts, read 475,861 times
There is a whole thread named "W.117th a hot mess" dedicated to this topic. It seems that the problems ae worse this year than past. Maybe due to the unusually cold temps this year. Might also be crooked contractors that unfairly "won" projects, they cut corners in their work and the shoddy construction is finally showing itself.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:20 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Hard freezes, snow, heavy road plowing, salt, heavy travel... all of them have a detrimental effect. Also, the more you salt and plow a road over time, the worse it will get. I was just in Chicago over the weekend and the situation is similar. The short of it is that roads need to be maintained and resurfaced and that type of maintenance is not cheap. Especially on the state side, the revenue has dried up (thank you Mr. Kasich). So, counties and cities are left to fend for themselves (with some help from federal grants) even though the bulk of our non-federal tax dollars go to the state. Until that changes, expect the problem to continue. In the meantime, the city will resurface what it has the $ for and will apply for federal grants.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 AM

107 posts, read 147,353 times
This winter was a bad one for everybody. There's a good AP overview here: Bumpy ride ahead through pothole purgatory

I found a factsheet about road quality from one of the transportation reseach organizations they cited, and I was surprised to see that it wasn't cold-weather cities leading the pack: http://www.tripnet.org/docs/Urban_Ro...nal_100313.pdf

Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Chicago's roads are not as bad as Cleveland's. The poster can expect a common ''every other city has this problem'' answer here as well. Clevelanders like to say this.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Well, I was just there and drove through the south side and up into Old Town. And while I certainly did not drive down every road, some of the ones I did drive down were in similar shape. Also, the sentiment was mirrored by the 5-6 people that I was with this weekend who actually live there. It's not that we "like" to say this. Unlike those of your defeatist ilk, it's that our direct experiences allow us to make proper comparisons. What I'd "like" to say is that all of Cleveland's and Chicago's roads are in pristine condition. The unfortunate reality is that both cities face similar challenges in this regard.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM

107 posts, read 147,353 times
And, to the OP's second question, I believe they've been filling them as winter's gone on (although I'm sure new ones keep popping up). I know the five or six bad ones I spent January and February dodging on Stokes and MLK were filled by early March.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Hard freezes, snow, heavy road plowing, salt, heavy travel... all of them have a detrimental effect. Also, the more you salt and plow a road over time, the worse it will get. I was just in Chicago over the weekend and the situation is similar. The short of it is that roads need to be maintained and resurfaced and that type of maintenance is not cheap. Especially on the state side, the revenue has dried up (thank you Mr. Kasich). So, counties and cities are left to fend for themselves (with some help from federal grants) even though the bulk of our non-federal tax dollars go to the state. Until that changes, expect the problem to continue. In the meantime, the city will resurface what it has the $ for and will apply for federal grants.
I know some of the neighborhood roads in Chicago have issues but downtown wise, Chicago's streets do not compare to Cleveland's. Last time I was on E 6th between Lakeside and St. Clair was like a driving a moon buggy; Prospect was pretty bad as well.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Honestly, all northern cities have this problem. Sometimes downtown areas get extra attention and get their roads fixed quickly and consistently, but go a few miles away from downtown in any northern/wintry city (Chicago included) and you'll see some rough roads.

Cleveland's, however, are probably a little worse than most, because it's not as rich as other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland