Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,582 times

Advertisements

Been reading some somewhat disturbing things about how dangerous Cleveland can be & was hoping someone here could offer some advice.. So here's the trip:

Just coming for a Saturday show at the Agora on 5000 Euclid Avenue, will be staying overnight ~somewhere~ and are coming from Canada [Ontario plates on the car]

So, what should I be concerned about? Neighborhoods to avoid getting there? A good [safe] place to stay the night? How is the club itself?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:33 PM

493 posts, read 639,750 times
Don't listen to whatever you hear. Cleveland is doing good things to it's neighborhoods right now. Just like any other normal city, Cleveland has it's sketchy neighborhoods.

Anyways, if you're just going to the Agora, then staying downtown would be your best choice. Downtown has most of the things to do in Cleveland, have more and better hotels, and have a lot of good bars and restaurants.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
We're visiting Cleveland tomorrow, and I feel as if all of this hoopla everyone hear's about how "dangerous" and "scary" Cleveland is should be largely disregarded. The vast majority of violent crime in ANY city---not just Cleveland---isn't random in nature. Middle-class tourists driving through won't be fearing getting caught between gang crossfire on a regular basis. It's largely young African-American males targeting other young African-American males in socioeconomically disadvantaged inner city neighborhoods to settle drug-related debts, turf disputes, etc. A gangster or criminal won't want to just randomly kill a Canadian tourist family for sport.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 PM

Well that's a lot more encouraging than what I've been reading here and there... thanks guys.

Probably will want to take in the R&R Hall of Fame & that submarine as well before we leave.

Any recommendations for a [reasonable] hotel downtown?

-thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intronauter View Post
Been reading some somewhat disturbing things about how dangerous Cleveland can be & was hoping someone here could offer some advice.. So here's the trip:

Just coming for a Saturday show at the Agora on 5000 Euclid Avenue, will be staying overnight ~somewhere~ and are coming from Canada [Ontario plates on the car]

So, what should I be concerned about? Neighborhoods to avoid getting there? A good [safe] place to stay the night? How is the club itself?

Thanks!
I live in what some would consider to be a "dangerous" neighborhood of Cleveland and have never had any problems. I think the rumors about the dangers of this city have been greatly exaggerated. People see it's mostly African American, and they automatically assume it's bad. Not the case. Really there are only a few neighborhoods I would tell you to avoid completely (Glenville, Buckeye, East Cleveland), and you will be nowhere near them. Otherwise Cleveland is no more dangerous than any other big city.

Another potential area for hotels is University Circle (the university, hospital, and museum district). From there you can take the 24 hour Bus-Rapid line straight to the Agora. Two hotels in that area are Double Tree Tudor Arms, and a Mariott, both of which are new (the former is in a beautiful renovated 1930's building). As for Downtown, check out Aloft, Holiday Inn Express, or if you're on a tight budget, Comfort Inn.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 PM

More good news - thanks Cleverfield

Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
Have a great time! We visit from CA each year via Amtrak. Stay in Solon (cousins), but then go downtown to Hall of Fame, Stadiums, etc. This year I want to see Lakewood area and western parts. Chagrin Falls (Popcorn Shop) is a must IMO.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:12 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
You'll be absolutely fine, as long as you don't go to Glenville at 1:30 am trying to sell drugs.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
I had the same concerns prior to visiting Cleveland last Fall but these guys pretty much nailed it. Cleveland's downtown is very safe as is University Circle. I stayed at the Glidden House, a modestly priced boutique hotel in the middle of University Circle, which is very nice. The Agora venue is midway between Downtown and University Circle so both locations are fine for hotels and you can either drive or better yet take the bus rapid transit Health Line (the rapid transit system also serves the Rock Hall). Other than Downtown, take a trip to Ohio City, Shaker Square, or nearby Asiatown (Cleveland's Chinatown) if you have time for some great eats.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,284,985 times
For Downtown:

https://m.ihg.com/hotels/holidayinne...eldetail/cleoh

Also, private room at the Cleveland Hostel is a good out of the book idea:

The Cleveland Hostel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland