U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-13-2014, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 649 times
Default Likely move to Cleveland - East Side - Need Advice

Hello, All!

I have been a long time reader and love this site/forum for the (generally) fabulous information when researching locales but I figured I'd take a step out and actually post something.

My wife and I are originally from the Cincinnati area and moved to Boise, ID, last year when she received a job offer that she couldn't pass up. While we have really enjoyed the Boise area and the residents, I have had some professional difficulties and she has decided being closer to family (all located in Cincinnati) is important for our long term family plans; and I am in agreement. So we started looking into career opportunities that would allow us to return to Cincinnati or Ohio. While she has received an offer in Cincinnati, my career field is a bit less flexible and have to go where the jobs are. Luckily, it appears that I will likely be receiving a job offer (a great professional opportunity) in the Kirtland area and my wife has also received interest from the Cleveland Clinic (one offer thus far along with three interviews for another position for which she applied). So it's looking more and more like Cleveland will be the spot for us: providing two good jobs and only 4 hours from family.

So enough with the intro and back story.... I was in town last week and was able to tour most of the east side. I have also been reading dozens and dozens of threads about specific Cleveland neighborhoods trying to determine where to rent initially and then ultimately buy.

After touring, I personally find myself most drawn to the more rural setting of Kirtland, Willoughby Hills, etc. but properties can be quite expensive. In addition to that, commute times to the Clinic can get a bit long. My tour guide also took me through the Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, and University Heights areas. While there are lots of nice, unique homes, the taxes turn me off to any of these areas (especially when I'm told the school districts are struggling even with the insane tax rates).

So in an attempt to find some middle ground, I have been looking at the areas of Highland Heights, Mayfield, Mayfield Heights, and Beachwood. It seems these areas offer decent commute times for both of us, have tolerable tax rates (which is not a direct concern initially since we will be renting but is important when we do decide to purchase a home), and good schools (no kids yet but in the plans and I want solid schools for resale purposes when the time comes). Some other areas I'd be curious about is Chesterland, Eastlake, or any others you guys may feel worth considering. I wouldn't say we are tremendously concerned about walkability, distance to downtown, or "hip" hotspots. We really just want a nice, safe area which nice, safe people and provides an acceptable commute to both of our jobs. More specifically, we'd like to find a duplex or home that offers 1 or 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, private washer and dryer, dish washer, two car garage or carport, and keep the costs below $1,000 per month (with a hope of spending less just to quicken our saving efforts).

I realize there are hundreds of similar threads but many are fairly dated. I'd love to get some current, up-to-date info from folks in the area. I suppose on a larger scale, I'd even be curious to know about your thoughts on moving to Cleveland in general. I know the public perception isn't true but there are some figures and facts that I have come across that does make me question if moving to Cleveland is a smart long-term, decision.

I really appreciate your time and any information you may be able to provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-13-2014, 09:20 PM

115 posts, read 19,721 times
Solon is the best place I can think of. I've been living in Solon for over 15 years and in Cleveland my whole life, and Solon has been getting better every year since. Solon's schools are amongst the best in Ohio (The 3 achieving district in the state in 2012 and top in Cuyahoga County). Solon is also in a good spot because for one it's near main freeways such as I-271, I-480, The Ohio Turnpike and has 422 running right through it. Solon also has main roads running through it such as SOM Center, Miles Road, Pettibone Road, Liberty Road, Lander Road, Solon Road, Aurora Road and Richmond Road, making it an easy drive in any direction, to the inner city or the rural country. Solon is a short 15-20 minute drive to downtown Cleveland when the traffic is normal, and a 15-20 minute drive to the rural country, making Solon a good place in the center of all the action. Solon is also a less than 5 minute drive to the city of Cleveland's city limits, without using a freeway. Solon has lots of good stores, such as a Marc's, one of 2 Mustard Seeds in existance, one of 2 Giant Eagle Market Districts in Ohio and a lot of other stores. Solon has lots of houses, everything from smaller 1950's houses, to multi million dollar gated neighborhoods on a golf course. Solon is where you should move to.

Unread 04-14-2014, 06:39 AM

31 posts, read 10,104 times
Would your wife be working at the main CCF campus or one of the community sites? If you can find something pretty close to the 90 or the 2 in Willoughby her commute to the main campus on the highway would probably be as quick if not quicker than coming in from Mayfield Heights, Solon, or Chesterland on surface roads, and yours would be much easier. (As a point of reference, a trip from near dead-center Shaker Heights to the main campus is 20 minutes, door to door, and it would be around 30-45 to Kirtland.)

And I missed your last question! Neither of us is originally from Cleveland, but we've been very happy with the move. Cleveland's a very livable city with all the amenities of the larger places we've lived, and they're more accessible here. It's a great place to raise kids.

Unread 04-14-2014, 06:59 AM

5 posts, read 649 times
Thanks for the feedback, guys. As of now, I believe my wife would be working at the main campus. Though that is subject to change and I know could make a big difference in commute times if she floats from campus to campus.

I mentioned Solon to the realtor that drove me around the area and her immediate reaction is that my commute to Holden Arboretum would be quite long... but maybe she's mistaken. I assume traveling east out of the city in the mornings and then driving west at the end of the day would put in more favorable traffic. Though from Solon that would really be more a northerly commute so it may not make much of a difference.

Willoughby is where I stayed when in town for two nights. It seemed like a decent area but I just didn't come away with a strong pull to look for housing there. I stayed pretty much in the downtown area of Willougby. Perhaps there are some other areas within the town to consider?

Thanks again for the feedback. We will continue to seek info and try to piece together the best fit for us within the next couple of weeks.

Unread 04-14-2014, 07:12 AM

467 posts, read 254,599 times
Willoughby's probably a good option if you're renting in terms of rental availability and equal commute times. Mayfield Heights/Village is also good.

If buying, I'd probably go Mayfield Heights/Village or possibly Kirtland or Beachwood if the commutes aren't too bad. I don't know anything about Kirtland schools (I think they're okay), but I'd consider Beachwood a step above the Mayfield school district.

And Solon is farther than you'd want to commute.

Unread 04-14-2014, 10:30 AM

272 posts, read 316,822 times
How interested are you in renting an apartment over a duplex/home? One of the issues you're going to have is that Highland Heights and Mayfield have very little in the way of rentals. Heck, I doubt you'd even find a house smaller than 3 bedrooms in HH. Mayfield has a small apartment complex and one townhouse development. The townhouse development is all ownership while the apartments aren't considered that great. Any home rentals would be fairly limited there and probably on the large side.

You have Beachwood where you'd find apartments but the most attractive ones would probably be out of your price range. There might be a few single home rentals but I doubt you'd find one for that price. Beachwood's rental market is fairly steep. If you're ruling out apartments, you won't find much in the city.

Mayfield Heights has loads of apartments but most aren't very attractive. The only one I'd recommend is Hamilton House. There's also Woodhawk Club condos which sometimes do offer rentals. It's heavily used for corporate housing in addition to its town houses which are mainly owner occupied. There are a good number of rental houses in the city and that's probably your best choice. I think you could find a bungalow there near your price range. It won't be the most attractive street,but it will be a safe stable neighborhood with good schools and easy access to the regions assets.

Unread 04-14-2014, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 649 times
Thanks for the info, Marty. An apartment complex is certainly an option. We would just prefer a duplex or home to stay away from the noise and foot traffic, that's all. Maybe Willoughby would be the best best to find some common ground. Or look into Hamilton House, as you suggested.

Unread 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM

188 posts, read 131,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Solon is the best place I can think of. I've been living in Solon for over 15 years and in Cleveland my whole life, and Solon has been getting better every year since. Solon's schools are amongst the best in Ohio (The 3 achieving district in the state in 2012 and top in Cuyahoga County). Solon is also in a good spot because for one it's near main freeways such as I-271, I-480, The Ohio Turnpike and has 422 running right through it. Solon also has main roads running through it such as SOM Center, Miles Road, Pettibone Road, Liberty Road, Lander Road, Solon Road, Aurora Road and Richmond Road, making it an easy drive in any direction, to the inner city or the rural country. Solon is a short 15-20 minute drive to downtown Cleveland when the traffic is normal, and a 15-20 minute drive to the rural country, making Solon a good place in the center of all the action. Solon is also a less than 5 minute drive to the city of Cleveland's city limits, without using a freeway. Solon has lots of good stores, such as a Marc's, one of 2 Mustard Seeds in existance, one of 2 Giant Eagle Market Districts in Ohio and a lot of other stores. Solon has lots of houses, everything from smaller 1950's houses, to multi million dollar gated neighborhoods on a golf course. Solon is where you should move to.
City of Solon and Solon Schools are no better or worse than many other communities in NEO. The exception being Chagrin Falls. Think for yourself and do what is good for you and your family, long term.

Unread 04-14-2014, 03:06 PM

188 posts, read 131,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
And Solon is farther than you'd want to commute.
True. If you/yours are going to be working in Cleveland Clinic, that commute from Solon to Clinic campus, through the snow belt areas like Solon, won't be pretty. It will sap your energy and quality of life, every work day.

Unread 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM

115 posts, read 19,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
City of Solon and Solon Schools are no better or worse than many other communities in NEO. The exception being Chagrin Falls. Think for yourself and do what is good for you and your family, long term.
Solon has nice smaller houses that are for rent for a reasonable price, along with very nice apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland