Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
There's those types of tourists. And then there's the tourists who go to the cities they consider the biggest. Usually, that's in the number of sky scrapers they have. Example: Chicago and even New York.

Some idiots think "Oh that city has such a beautiful skyline and so many sky scrapers, so it must be popular! Lets go there because of how mainstream it is!"

Cleveland should at least try to attract these idiot tourists.
The last thing we need in this town is a higher concentration of "idiots." Although it would make for a great tourism slogan: "Hey, idiots!! Come for the tall buildings, stay for the pierogis!!"

In general, the areas and neighborhoods in NYC and Chicago that are attracting the most tourists are where the huge skyscrapers aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 PM

493 posts, read 639,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The last thing we need in this town is a higher concentration of "idiots." Although it would make for a great tourism slogan: "Hey, idiots!! Come for the tall buildings, stay for the pierogis!!"

In general, the areas and neighborhoods in NYC and Chicago that are attracting the most tourists are where the huge skyscrapers aren't.
That's for the people who look closely and take time to research thriving neighborhoods, or are familiar with the area.

But, more people are going to go to a place like The Statue of Liberty or Rockefeller Center or The Empire State Building rather than a little restaurant behind an ally in Chinatown.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
We all know that tourists really only go anywhere for the skyscrapers. That's why nobody goes to Paris anymore. Paris needs to attract idiot tourists! What are they thinking?

This is one of the dumbest threads I've seen in a while.

Let's build Burj Khalifa on Public Square because some people might show up. I can't believe anyone has so little respect for their city that they want to resort to expensive and illogical gimmicks in hopes that someone might want to take a picture. It disgusts me.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:58 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Yeah, really, Rome has no skyscrapers, neither does Venice, doesn't stop these from being some of the biggest tourist cities in the world.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:23 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Why do people in Solon care about downtown Cleveland development? You should be more worried about bringing Rockne's back to "downtown" Solon.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,377 times
I think a lot the overly negative responses are in response to who posted the question and not the topic at hand.

In my opinion it is 100% supply and demand. Cleveland doesn't have any restrictive zoning in that regard and there is no other outside push to limit the size of buildings. Actually, while the skyline isn't bad, Cleveland's skyline isn't particularly impressive compared to other midsize cities.

There just isn't a need for large amounts of additional office space. Even the large projects that have been built are just responses to existing tenants looking for new class A space (like Flats East Bank) and not because there is an overall demand for more office space.

The comments about skyscrapers being good for tourism and other things like that aren't going to make a difference, really, as anyone that does care about those sorts of things isn't going to build one they aren't going to use themselves (like local government) and anyone that is going to build one doesn't care about tourists (like developers, who only care about ROI) or companies (who only care about utility or, maybe, vanity of the company itself).

The reality of it is developers are only going to build buildings when there is a demand and we don't have the economic growth in the region to support anything like that. The best we can hope for is that local businesspeople start getting motivated to move Downtown from the suburbs, much like Dan Gilbert has done in Detroit. I think he's up to having moved 7.500 of his employees to Downtown Detroit and renovated like 7 or 8 buildings to do so so far. Unfortunately I don't see Progressive or others like that making that sort of move anytime soon.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:39 AM

107 posts, read 147,457 times
I think some of the negativity also might be because this has been a big part of the Cleveland Development Discussions thread over the last week or so - might have been a little topic fatigue.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:48 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehfp View Post
I think some of the negativity also might be because this has been a big part of the Cleveland Development Discussions thread over the last week or so - might have been a little topic fatigue.
My response is based on my apathy for a discussion started by someone whose actions (moving to a sprawlburb and defending it vigorously) betray his feigned concern for what's going on in the urban core.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
We all know that tourists really only go anywhere for the skyscrapers. That's why nobody goes to Paris anymore. Paris needs to attract idiot tourists! What are they thinking?

This is one of the dumbest threads I've seen in a while.

Let's build Burj Khalifa on Public Square because some people might show up. I can't believe anyone has so little respect for their city that they want to resort to expensive and illogical gimmicks in hopes that someone might want to take a picture. It disgusts me.
It's not that I don't care. But most people who don't pay attention to detail go to bigger cities with more tourists attractions. As a Clevelander, I try to find the smaller, best kept secret type places to go on a weekend. But, even though someone who lives in Cleveland might know of a good family owned restaurant that's not all over Google or some other travel website, most tourists don't know if any better place to go then the most mainstream places.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Yeah, really, Rome has no skyscrapers, neither does Venice, doesn't stop these from being some of the biggest tourist cities in the world.
That's completely different. They are old European cities with some of the best restaurants in the world. But unfortunately, American cities like Cleveland don't have that quality because they are so new and get more American tourists than foreign tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland