Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,345,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
That is as much of a load of BS as reretarff's original apocalyptic assessment of Shaker. Chastising the guy for making garbage statements about the city and inner ring suburbs and then turning around and doing the same thing about the outer burbs is just as sorry.

Many of us may not like the aesthetics of places like Solon but that doesn't make it not "a real place."
LOL says a guy from Akron who likely has not been to either place in question. It's not BS at all. Stop making false equivalences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,990,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
LOL says a guy from Akron who likely has not been to either place in question. It's not BS at all. Stop making false equivalences.
You're right, I forgot it's 1795 and traversing a 25 mile span is really unusual. Or that I would never do business, have family or friends, or go out anywhere outside of a 10 mile radius of my house. And this coming from a guy who doesn't even live here anymore.

Yes, I would say defining Solon as "not a real place" is 100% BS. I'm sure the thousands of people who live there would be surprised to find it's not a place. Probably the post office, too, since they've assigned a zip code to "not a real place". Can't wait to break it to the kids at Solon High School, too.

In fact, I'm not sure how your statement could be construed to be anything other than BS.

Look, you don't need to get your panties all in a bunch, all I'm saying is there is no reason to disrespect some other guy's city or opinion because you don't like it.

Last edited by SquareBetterThanAll; 04-29-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,358,250 times
Downtown is within the innerbelt trench, as someone above already stated. NObody says im attending csu on the eastside..just like ccc campus is downtown also... Aisiatown, midtown, central are considered neareast, not downtown.btw tremont is known as the old southside to most people who grew up there.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,345,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
You're right, I forgot it's 1795 and traversing a 25 mile span is really unusual. Or that I would never do business, have family or friends, or go out anywhere outside of a 10 mile radius of my house. And this coming from a guy who doesn't even live here anymore.

Yes, I would say defining Solon as "not a real place" is 100% BS. I'm sure the thousands of people who live there would be surprised to find it's not a place. Probably the post office, too, since they've assigned a zip code to "not a real place". Can't wait to break it to the kids at Solon High School, too.

In fact, I'm not sure how your statement could be construed to be anything other than BS.

Look, you don't need to get your panties all in a bunch, all I'm saying is there is no reason to disrespect some other guy's city or opinion because you don't like it.
MY panities are in a bunch?

Yes, I mean literally that Solon isn't real. It's a figment of your imagination. That's exactly what I meant. You're not putting words in my mouth at all.

For the rational out there, my point was Solon is lame and cookie cutter. UH has some lame parts, but overall it's more intertwined into the urban area than Solon. Do you actually disagree with me? I'm allowed to have this opinion.

I guarentee you've never been to University Heights or Solon.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,145,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Downtown is within the innerbelt trench, as someone above already stated. NObody says im attending csu on the eastside..just like ccc campus is downtown also... Aisiatown, midtown, central are considered neareast, not downtown.btw tremont is known as the old southside to most people who grew up there.
I went to CSU. People considered it the east side when I was there. It stands to reason since all of the numbered streets running north and south are prefixed with "E."

Tremont, Industrial Valley, Old Brooklyn, and N/S Broadway are all part of the south side.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere
Little Italy (4-5 Blocks, ~1500 feet in length).
Again, clearly you have not been there if you think that the neighborhood is only 4-5 blocks. Walk from 123rd and Euclid to Murray Hill and Cedar Glen or from the train bridge to the top of Mayfield Rd hill and tell me how either are 1500 feet in length. Better yet, don't bother.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:02 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,092,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I went to CSU. People considered it the east side when I was there. It stands to reason since all of the numbered streets running north and south are prefixed with "E."

Tremont, Industrial Valley, Old Brooklyn, and N/S Broadway are all part of the south side.
I don't really feel that Cleveland has a "southside". I define everything according to the river. Slavic Village to me is 100% Eastside, old Brooklyn and Tremont are 100% Westside. I agree with reretarff that downtown is neither East Norwest, it is the center is that unifies the two sides. Where downtown stops and the "east side" begins, however, is contentious.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM

246 posts, read 473,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Downtown is the center of the city, and the center of anything can't be left nor right. It's neutral. Technically it is on the east side of the river, but most people consider downtown downtown. Not east side. Not west side. It isn't until past downtown in areas like Asiatown and Midtown and so on that the east side starts. All of the neighborhoods you mentioned are 150% better than any neighborhood on the east side. The worst neighborhood on the west side is equivalent to the best scenario in the ghetto on the east side. In the west side, there are less abandoned houses, less open lots, lets crime, no ghetto, more nightlife and better schools. It's the opposite in most of the east side. It's not 100% an east side problem, but it's a good 70-90% of an east side problem, considering the east side is so much bigger than the west side. Remember that I'm only talking about the city of Cleveland and not the suburbs.
Without a thought I'd live in just about any part of Kirtland-Goodrich (Midown/Asiatown), Most of North Collinwood/Northeast Shores, Little Italy/Overlook and about 2/3 of South Broadway (Slavic Village) and even many parts of St.Clair-Superior (particularly the area north of St.Clair and west of Addison or right around St. Martin De Porres) on the East Side, well before pretty much anywhere in Cudell or Clark-Fulton, about 3/4's of the Stockyards, anywhere south of the Rapid tracks in Detroit Shoreway, a good chunk of the eastern part of West Blvd neighborhood on the West Side. This doesn't even include specific chunks of Brooklyn Centre, Tremont, Ohio City and Riverside (Mainly CMHA housing) that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:47 PM

493 posts, read 636,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
John Carroll is about 10 minutes driving to Shaker Square, accessible via Green Line. It is much more Clevelandy than Solon, for example. Much more woven into the fabric of Cleveland. Has a lot of old 1920s and 30s homes in the area. Not at all like Solon. UH is a real place. Solon is not.

Guys, you all seem to be forgetting how horrible some of the places on the west side are. These rosy west side glasses are ridiculous. Would you guys really want to move to Clark Fulton? Live down the street from Ariel Castro? 150% better, really? Stop being ridiculous.
Oh so if there's one idiot on the west side then that automatically makes the whole west side bad...

No. There's a truck load of more criminals (Burglars, Rapists, Killers, ETC.) on the east side. That's where the name ghetto comes from. On top of all the crime, there's more abandoned houses and worse schools. The west side is a million times better than most areas on the east side. The houses are worth more, there's more restaurants and stores, there's more tourists, there's less crime and there's better schools.

According to Google Maps, John Carroll is about 15 minutes to University Circle. With traffic it's probably 20-30. University Heights does not have a lot of homes from the 1920's. According to my wife's father who moved to University Heights in the 1940's, people started to move there in the 1940's.

What do you mean by ¨Solon is not a real place¨? Solon has modern style houses. Back in the 1940's, the houses in University Heights were what was new and modern, but people who preferred older houses back then didn't like University Heights. It's always been the same. Some people want a new big house and some people want an old small house. Quite frankly, I would want a newer bigger house because I would want more space and a house that is clean with no problems. Older houses tend to have asbestos problems and problems with the foundation and the siding and the plumbing and a bunch of other headaches. Would I live in an older house that looks nice? Yes. But remember, most people move to the suburbs for the schools and safety. It's just a plus that the suburbs have new huge houses.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I don't really feel that Cleveland has a "southside". I define everything according to the river. Slavic Village to me is 100% Eastside, old Brooklyn and Tremont are 100% Westside. I agree with reretarff that downtown is neither East Norwest, it is the center is that unifies the two sides. Where downtown stops and the "east side" begins, however, is contentious.
It's all by who defines it. Before mass suburbia, Cleveland's south side was well defined. Southern suburbs like Independence, Seven Hills, Valley View and Brooklyn Heights were essentially townships with cow pastures up until the late 60s. The "south side" was directly north of that (Old Brooklyn, Tremont, Slavic Village).

Rere's motive is essentially to dump all over the east side by cherry picking neighborhoods on the west side and then by diminishing the unique attributes of those like Fairfax, Hough, and Little Italy on the east side. It's the same predjudicial crap we saw during the time of white flight. Enough of the E vs. W crap already. Both have issues and both are in very unique positions (West Side with the better housing stock and usable lakefront, East Side with the colleges, cultural amenities and large hospital systems) and poised to capitalize on their existing merits.

The casual observer does also state that true "downtown" runs from W.9th to about E.13th (app. 1 mile) and from the lakefront to Carnegie (N/S - app 1.1. mile). The strict E/W dividing line is Ontario Avenue. The most often used is the river. You can't exclude an eastern amenity simply because it doesn't fit the motive of your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: