Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:27 PM

816 posts, read 1,394,685 times

Advertisements

What are the better areas of Slavic Village and which ones should be avoided? I am intersted in investing in the area. I'm curious to hear all the Cleveland expert's opinions on this one. I've been told that the area immediately north of Fleet is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Anyone here live or know anyone that lives in the Slavic Village area? would love to hear some experiences... I know it's a rough area, but I'm sure it's street by street and that there are some nicer pockets throughout. what would the quieter, safer streets be around there? The area around Independence Ave seems pretty quiet and secluded...

Old 05-14-2017, 10:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Default Slavic Village dirt bike track

This would seem like a big negative for Slavic Village's future if it becomes a reality.

Slavic Village Residents Rage Over Dirt Bike Track: "Nobody Here Wants to Hear it" | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog

Old 05-14-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This would seem like a big negative for Slavic Village's future if it becomes a reality.

Slavic Village Residents Rage Over Dirt Bike Track: "Nobody Here Wants to Hear it" | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog
I am not a fan of the proposal and I hope it doesn't worsen things in the neighborhood....

On a positive note, Slavic Village Chosen as Target Neighborhood by Cleveland Chain Reaction Investors | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog

Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,120,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

This is North Broadway, which isn't really what most people think of as Slavic Village. It's definitely not where I'd recommend anybody look for a house. I'm not really sure why there's so much uproar about this project. In my mind it's not much different from a skate park, mountain bike park, or something else that older people consider noisy or unsafe.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:54 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,311,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Anyone here live or know anyone that lives in the Slavic Village area? would love to hear some experiences... I know it's a rough area, but I'm sure it's street by street and that there are some nicer pockets throughout. what would the quieter, safer streets be around there? The area around Independence Ave seems pretty quiet and secluded...
I have an old friend who lives on one of those dead-end sidestreets off Independence Avenue, close to the end of the street. I visited him at his house shortly after moving back to town in September 2015. I noted that his block seemed pretty much unaffected by the decline I had heard about in other parts of the neighborhood. Seemed as stable as it always had been. He bought his house dirt cheap back in the '70s, put a lot of work into it over the years, and is still happy there.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I have an old friend who lives on one of those dead-end sidestreets off Independence Avenue, close to the end of the street. I visited him at his house shortly after moving back to town in September 2015. I noted that his block seemed pretty much unaffected by the decline I had heard about in other parts of the neighborhood. Seemed as stable as it always had been. He bought his house dirt cheap back in the '70s, put a lot of work into it over the years, and is still happy there.
that is great to hear!

Old 05-16-2017, 06:32 AM

378 posts, read 341,330 times
This weekend is Rooms to Let: Slavic Village | Rooms to Let: CLE

It's an awesome, immersive event that lets you get pretty intimate with the neighborhood. It also gives you a new reason to go down and check out the rebuilt Fleet Ave which is looking really great.

On the topic of Fleet Ave, they're trying hard to get more and more anchors:

The (New) Butchers of Fleet Street: Saucisson Plants Flag in Historic Slavic Village Spot | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog

Cleveland's Slavic Village gets another arts-business boost: Triple Threat Press opens on Fleet Avenue | cleveland.com

Can Slavic Village's Fleet Avenue become Cleveland's latest 'maker' district? | cleveland.com

Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM

4,516 posts, read 5,088,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I do think Slavic Village, esp. Fleet and the side streets) has passed the point of no return. It was on life support before, but the foreclosure stuff really did it. A mass exodus of the locals, the Polish Church (St Stan's) is really the last anchor left as most of the Eastern European businesses have fled. The re-do in the '70's helped, a slow slide after, and a quick slide in the 2000's.
Read the Slavic Village Facebook page done by some local. Pretty miserable doom and gloom stuff, mostly nasty and race-related. Based on the exodus of the locals, and the businesses, I think they're done.
But 15 years ago, I also had E55th/Broadway incorrectly pegged as the next Waterloo Rd., so what do I know?
Dude, you're way off the mark. If anything, Fleet and its side streets are seriously pegged for a comeback. The City invested considerably in street/landscape upgrades along Fleet within the last year or so, including bricked crosswalks, new curbing, tree planters and tree lawn work. The many historic commercial buildings and Polish clubs and halls have been lovingly kept and/or restored... The homes on many side streets, like E. 52nd and 53rd, have mostly stable, well-kept wood-frames and manicured lawns. And of course, as many have noted, the E. 55/Broadway district has Ohio City/Market Square potential given the number of old in-tact mixed use structures-- it's a very pleasant walking areas. I will admit, thought, there's still much to be done here and there is quite a bit of housing decay along some of the side streets... but the potential is there and the area is well served by RTA buses, even connecting to the E. 55th rapid station to the north.

E. 55th, from Broadway north to near the RR overpass is quite interesting. You can tell at one time it was a grand street -- it still has an interesting mix of large homes, many of the brick with substantial lawns, and a few small apt walk-ups. A number have been foreclosed/boarded up, though. Lots of potential here.

Last edited by TheProf; 05-16-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Dude, you're way off the mark. If anything, Fleet and its side streets are seriously pegged for a comeback. The City invested considerably in street/landscape upgrades along Fleet within the last year or so, including bricked crosswalks, new curbing, tree planters and tree lawn work. The many historic commercial buildings and Polish clubs and halls have been lovingly kept and/or restored... The homes on many side streets, like E. 52nd and 53rd, have mostly stable, well-kept wood-frames and manicured lawns. And of course, as many have noted, the E. 55/Broadway district has Ohio City/Market Square potential given the number of old in-tact mixed use structures-- it's a very pleasant walking areas. I will admit, thought, there's still much to be done here and there is quite a bit of housing decay along some of the side streets... but the potential is there and the area is well served by RTA buses, even connecting to the E. 55th rapid station to the north.

E. 55th, from Broadway north to near the RR overpass is quite interesting. You can tell at one time it was a grand street -- it still has an interesting mix of large homes, many of the brick with substantial lawns, and a few small apt walk-ups. A number have been foreclosed/boarded up, though. Lots of potential here.
I just recently did a drive around the E.55th and Broadway areas and boy oh boy they are incredibly rundown. Especially the area around Hyacinth park! It looked like an overgrown, ghost town unfortunately. Even the other side of E.55 that borders 77 is really rough. I do love the potential, but it is pretty far gone and I hope that it can bounce back. I did not explore the fleet area, but I do love what they're doing over there. Hopefully the community can try to push out the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland