Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 PM

12 posts, read 14,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblgum View Post
I'm a 22yo female and will be moving to Cleveland in October and I have been having difficulties figuring out the best places to live. I think I have a good idea of the areas but not which parts of them are best/specific apartment complexes. Maybe I am just terrible at searching but I have only really found good apartments for the downtown area.

These are the areas I'm considering (I am open to others):
Downtown (E 4th St., Warehouse District)
Ohio City
Tremont
Lakewood
Cleveland Heights (Coventry)

These are the criteria that are important to me:
Safety (a must)
Good parking
Active area (other YPs and places in the area to hang out)
Exercise (esp. biking, running, yoga, kickboxing if those are options)
Inexpensive (at least under $1,000/mo although I would prefer around $600)

I have spent a TON of time looking into apartments but I am coming up with nothing and not knowing anyone certainly makes it difficult. I don't need a luxury apartment but I do really value safety (and a safe place for my car) and cleanliness (I don't want a place that is moldy or falling down). If anyone has specific apartment buildings (big or small) they would recommend I would really appreciate it! I know just hitting the pavement is probably the most useful option but I'll be abroad until October so that's not as much of an option.Sorry for such the long post, I just wanted to make it specific and I'm definitely in need of some help.

Thanks so much for any help you may have!

Honestly I would not rent apt in those areas if safety is a concern. Maybe the west end of Lakewood, and that's a super teeny tiny maybe. Downtown IMO still has a lot of homeless people. You don't want to get stuck getting in an elevator or stairwell or something with some jerk. Ohio City is becoming more and more gentrified, but to me it's still run down. Tremont is trendy, but not that safe at night. Definitely not safe for cars I don't think. I lived in Tremont and got followed a couple of times when I was out walking my dog. One time I was walking her down one street and this car was slowly creepin behind me so I stopped and it kept on going past me, turning right on the next street. I turned right down that same street and a few minutes later it was coming back the other way creepin a long. Then I make another right turn down the next intersection, and a few minutes after that the same car was creepin past me again. It definitely freaked me out.

I would really look at the Westlake area. There are a lot of good apts on Detroit Rd. $800-$1000 can get you a nice apartment (dog friendly if you have one) with a washer and dryer in the unit. You can walk around at night and not have to worry for your safety.

If you are a working professional, you are probably not going to like anything that's $600 in terms of neighbors. They will be loud and obnoxious.

I'm a single female so I understand completely about the safety thing. Message me if you have any more questions. I'd be happy to help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 PM

185 posts, read 248,057 times
Those areas are fine bubblegum (and where you want to be). Don't take advice from posters afraid of their own shadows. I had my car broken into at crocker park in Westlake. I've lived in downtown, tremont, and Ohio city for 8 years. No problems. No issues. Westlake is unsafe.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 AM

11,056 posts, read 12,452,032 times
The stuff bubblgum posted would surprise me in the central parts of Ohio City and Tremont, but not on the outskirts/fringe areas of those parts of town. But even the fringes have been getting better and better every year.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 AM

107 posts, read 147,484 times
You also might want to check out University Circle (University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture, Education & Medical District). There would be lots to do, young people around (plenty of graduate students), and a ton of new residential buildings.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:47 PM

254 posts, read 307,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear1209 View Post
Honestly I would not rent apt in those areas if safety is a concern. Maybe the west end of Lakewood, and that's a super teeny tiny maybe.
You can't be serious ... ?

I know many people who live or recently have lived in all of the above places, none of whom have ever had any kind of safety concerns. Have you ever been to the Northern part of Lakewood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland