Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times

Advertisements

Out of these 5 areas, which I consider to be the hardest hit in Cleveland, which do you think stands the best chance to see some positive development, and why?

Kinsman
Buckeye
Slavic Village
East Cleveland
Glenville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,372,717 times
I think I might be dead before I ever see them completely turn around.. But I never thought I would see tremont or 25th & Lorain come back either

Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 PM

816 posts, read 1,394,851 times
I vote slavic village

Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
2nd Slavic Village. It seems to have some motion going already and isn't a complete dump. Third Federal is a nice springboard right in the middle of the neighborhood. They need to kick it up a notch though. I think it is still able to trade on the generic Slavic heritage of the neighborhood and there is just enough of it left to make some sort of identity around it, which they have been doing.

Kinsman, Buckeye, East Cleveland... no. Just bad all around. With the exception of maybe the edge of EC nearest University Circle, but otherwise I don't see any major change in what's going on there.

Glenville I've only been through a couple of times but it also seems to be shot as well. I just don't see an attractant here.

There isn't a massive influx of outsiders to Northeast Ohio, so demand has to be generated locally. There is an overabundance of rotten neighborhoods, so there needs to be some sort of foundation to work with, which is what we've seen in places like Ohio City and Gordon Square.

I see no foundation in any of those except Slavic Village.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:40 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Definitely Slavic Village. I'm seriously considering buying a home there now.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:14 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
2nd Slavic Village. It seems to have some motion going already and isn't a complete dump. Third Federal is a nice springboard right in the middle of the neighborhood. They need to kick it up a notch though. I think it is still able to trade on the generic Slavic heritage of the neighborhood and there is just enough of it left to make some sort of identity around it, which they have been doing.

Kinsman, Buckeye, East Cleveland... no. Just bad all around. With the exception of maybe the edge of EC nearest University Circle, but otherwise I don't see any major change in what's going on there.

Glenville I've only been through a couple of times but it also seems to be shot as well. I just don't see an attractant here.

There isn't a massive influx of outsiders to Northeast Ohio, so demand has to be generated locally. There is an overabundance of rotten neighborhoods, so there needs to be some sort of foundation to work with, which is what we've seen in places like Ohio City and Gordon Square.

I see no foundation in any of those except Slavic Village.
This Glenville?
Cleveland: The Houses of Glenville

Old 06-03-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Unfortunately, those houses are pretty much only on East Blvd, abutting the cultural gardens, and paralleling MLK. Once you go in from there, it almost immediately turns ghetto. I love the area around the cultural gardens, and think it has great potential, and they've done some work rehabbing a few homes, and a beautiful old high rise apartment near Wade Park, but you couldn't pay me to live in most of Glenville. I wish that Case and the other institutions would do more to improve this neighborhood. Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) has done a lot for the run-down, but architecturally interesting areas of Savannah. My wish is that something similar could by done here with CWRU, and the Cleveland Institute of Art.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Unfortunately, those houses are pretty much only on East Blvd, abutting the cultural gardens, and paralleling MLK. Once you go in from there, it almost immediately turns ghetto. I love the area around the cultural gardens, and think it has great potential, and they've done some work rehabbing a few homes, and a beautiful old high rise apartment near Wade Park, but you couldn't pay me to live in most of Glenville. I wish that Case and the other institutions would do more to improve this neighborhood. Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) has done a lot for the run-down, but architecturally interesting areas of Savannah. My wish is that something similar could by done here with CWRU, and the Cleveland Institute of Art.
Does the type of housing change? Is the rest of Glenville made up of those typical up-down duplexes, generic "Foursquare-esque" frame houses, and frame bungalows that are so common throughout much of Cleveland? Sometimes, architectural character, alone, can be a catalyst for revitalization.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Does the type of housing change? Is the rest of Glenville made up of those typical up-down duplexes, generic "Foursquare-esque" frame houses, and frame bungalows that are so common throughout much of Cleveland? Sometimes, architectural character, alone, can be a catalyst for revitalization.
The architecture is definitely of a lower caliber once you go in from East Blvd., but it is nicer than many parts of Cleveland. It was at one time a wealthier area. It has more one families than 2, most are 3-4 bedroom colonials, and many of them were quite nice at one time (same with East Cleveland). Problem is that much of it has been neglected, abandoned, or demolished.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 AM

246 posts, read 475,861 times
Glenville has the best housing stock and borders University Circle. It also has a source of community pride with it's football team, which, even if only slightly, it attracts middle class African Americans to send their sons to school there. I just don't see it turning around anytime soon though. Still way too much poverty and crime that will take decades to cycle out. Also, the block after block of duplexes on several of the E-W streets doesn't help.

Having said that, I'd think Slavic VIllage still has the best link to it's past still remaining in the neighborhood and has a pulse. It really took a hard body blow during the mortgage crisis though and the housing stock isn't that great to begin with. Still, there are old holdouts still remaining and a few businesses and dining that attract outsiders which isn't really the case in Glenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland