Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,091,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
You really think that the city pays equal attention to all the neighborhoods? Why is it that on the news, they always talk about "New Projects in Downtown" and "Cool Stuff to do in Tremont" and the only news that comes out of Hough and Glenville is "Black man shot on E.###th Street" or "Too many vacant houses, most are being torn down"?
Yes, that's because more private developers have spent money in downtown and Tremont than in Glenville or Hough. It's not the government that creates cool things to do in Tremont, it's private developers. The government spends money on things like tearing down blighted buildings, paving the roads, fixing the sewers, maintaining infrastructure, schools, libraries, parks, snowplows, trash pick up, police, fire, EMS, community centers. And yes this money is spent roughly equally accross the wards, except for a few larger projects Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,252,097 times
Quote:

Maybe you should look at the houses in Solon before you start judging them.
I've seen the homes in Solon, the majority of them are mass produced garbage made with the cheapest materials possible. I almost feel sorry for the saps that happen to own them once they really start getting near their expiration date.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No, I think he meant that the overall metro lost people, but areas like Downtown had some of the fastest rates of growth in the entire Midwest. While that growth has been confined to a few areas, it should spread further out as those areas improve and prices rise. It's the reverse donut effect.

The future of Cleveland will be in the hands of the city proper, or the urban core, not the far-flung suburbs.
Coming from the guy who enthusiastically supports a metropolitan area that is essentially one overgrown suburb? Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM

493 posts, read 636,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This simply isn't true.

If you knew Cleveland history, which you don't, you'd know Ohio City was the first upper class neighborhood, where people moved to get away from the Flats. There are way more houses than apartments in Ohio City.

Look at these gems:
Rust Wire » Blog Archive » The Houses of (Cleveland’s) Franklin Boulevard

You really haven't been to Ohio City. Never. Driving through on your way from Avon Lake back to Solon doesn't count. Open your eyes, rere. Open your eyes.
Why do you keep saying things that are irrelevant? I never said that there are more apartments than houses. I never said that Ohio City was poor. But, Ohio City was never rich. The east side has a lot more unique houses and mansions. Euclid Avenue once was the most beautiful street in America. The nick name for Euclid Avenue? Millionaires row. Amazing mansions and castles once stood along Euclid Avenue from downtown to East Cleveland. Some are still standing, but most are gone.

East Boulevard in University Circle has historic mansions that are now used as office buildings and museums.

Magnolia Drive in University Circle has historic mansions.

In fact, the whole area between E.105th Street, Superior Avenue, E.120th Street and Wade Park Avenue has unique historic houses.

Then there's all the houses along Rockefeller Park. The area between St. Clair Avenue, E.105th Street and Rockefeller Park was once a millionaire neighborhood.

Next comes Bratenahl.

Then the area around Euclid Beach.

Newton Avenue is completely unique.

Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights are a no brainer.

The east side has a lot more unique houses.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Rere, you really do think that the government should be doing everything for you, don't you? Subsidize my suburban lifestyle- my roads, my highways, build me a rapid line to Solon so me and my 5 friends can use it, build me some pretty skyscrapers because I want to look at something nice for the 5 minutes I spend in Cleveland every month regardless of how wasteful this all is, blah blah blah.

Downtown has seen tons of private investment from individuals. Individuals can make a difference in their communities in Cleveland. You see this happening everywhere to a degree, but places like downtown are themost obvious. We don't need nor should we want the city to just come in and impose upon the people. Development that happens organically from citizens is much more likely to last than just some government construction project or something stupid like that which you're so obsessed with.

Feel free to stop being a lazy bum and get up and do something if you care so much about central and fairfax.
5 friends? You mean thousands of workers + people who want to go downtown? You keep forgetting that the Rapid would benefit everyone along that Railroad.

I am benefiting the neighborhood. I pay taxes and offer good ideas. I'm not a millionaire developer who does this stuff. Neither are you. I'm just offering ideas that I think would make people in the suburbs go to the inenr city more often, which would eventually lead to people moving back to the city of Cleveland.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
the suburbs were built for luxury, which means that most of them are different in blue print and style.
-The first wave of suburbs in the early 1900s? Yes. (Think CH and SH)

-The second wave of suburbs just before and especially right after WWII? Not really (think University Heights) and especially no (think Mayfield Heights, South Euclid, Warrensville Heights, Garfield Heights, etc.).

-The third (Beachwood, Pepper Pike, etc.) and fourth wave (Solon, Twinsburg, Mayfield Village) of suburbs during the peak and continuation of white flight? Get real.

The homes built during the third wave (yuck) and later on in the fourth wave are nothing special and barely more unique from one another than homes built even during the second wave. So what, maybe Ryan Homes lets you pick out a slightly different design (garage on the left or right?), different countertops, and different color siding. Big whoop, that's not really evidence of variety.

There are indeed some pretty unique homes along main roads in Solon and other places that are relics from the late 19th century/early 20th century, but just about every sprawlburb that used to be mostly rural has these.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Yes, that's because more private developers have spent money in downtown and Tremont than in Glenville or Hough. It's not the government that creates cool things to do in Tremont, it's private developers. The government spends money on things like tearing down blighted buildings, paving the roads, fixing the sewers, maintaining infrastructure, schools, libraries, parks, snowplows, trash pick up, police, fire, EMS, community centers. And yes this money is spent roughly equally accross the wards, except for a few larger projects Downtown.
When did I say anything about the government? I'm just saying that in general the tax dollars benefit downtown and Tremont more than Glenville. Those areas are doing just fine. I just don't understand why they can't pay more attention to the east side more than just downtown and Tremont. These areas are closer to the suburbs. If the city of Cleveland were to turn Glenville and Hough into a place like Tremont (By that, I mean have them start projects with private investors) then the city of Cleveland would benefit from it, along with the people who would go to these areas and move there.

You've got to admit, these ideas are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I've seen the homes in Solon, the majority of them are mass produced garbage made with the cheapest materials possible. I almost feel sorry for the saps that happen to own them once they really start getting near their expiration date.
Well I would like it if you would tell me exactly what street and what you saw, because you're describing Solon as a third world country that works with what they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
-The first wave of suburbs in the early 1900s? Yes. (Think CH and SH)

-The second wave of suburbs just before and especially right after WWII? Not really (think University Heights) and especially no (think Mayfield Heights, South Euclid, Warrensville Heights, Garfield Heights, etc.).

-The third (Beachwood, Pepper Pike, etc.) and fourth wave (Solon, Twinsburg, Mayfield Village) of suburbs during the peak and continuation of white flight? Get real.

The homes built during the third wave (yuck) and later on in the fourth wave are nothing special and barely more unique from one another than homes built even during the second wave. So what, maybe Ryan Homes lets you pick out a slightly different design (garage on the left or right?), different countertops, and different color siding. Big whoop, that's not really evidence of variety.

There are indeed some pretty unique homes along main roads in Solon and other places that are relics from the late 19th century/early 20th century, but just about every sprawlburb that used to be mostly rural has these.
Today, we don;t look at the houses built in the 50's as a sign of wealth or expensive, but back in the 50's, wealthier people used to live in those houses. It was just the style back then to live in a 1 floor 3 bedroom house in the suburbs. If you watch The Help, you can easily see that the people living in the small 1950's houses were wealthy for their time (It was right after the war and depression, so nobody was really all that rich).

You're description of the third and fourth wave is the same as the second wave. The late 1940's into the mid 1960's was the same thing.

Pepper Pike has a lot of houses that were built in the 80's and some that are newer. Same with Beachwood and Solon and Twinsburg and parts of Mayfield Village. White flight happened during the second wave. Solon, Beachwood, Twinsburg and parts of Mayfield Village were built in the late 80's and are still being built. (The modern suburbs)

In Solon, I think the unique houses are the new houses. But if you want to consider the unique houses as the same ones as Cleveland Heights, then they would be in the north part of SOM Center and on some of the side streets where the 1920's -1960's mansions were built. The other unique houses in Solon would be the Forest Hills Style Tudor houses built in the late 1920's and early 1930's that are around Solon Boulevard and Baldwin Road.

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2014 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,341,171 times
Quote:
If the city of Cleveland were to turn Glenville and Hough into a place like Tremont (By that, I mean have them start projects with private investors) then the city of Cleveland would benefit from it, along with the people who would go to these areas and move there.
You are talking about the government.

What in the world do you mean "have them start projects with private investors?" Sounds like extortion.

Real, sustainable development comes from within, and isn't imposed and forced upon a population who doesn't show that they can actually sustain it. The government coercing people to do things (invest in this neighborhood, because we said so) doesn't do anything positive.

The reason Ohio City and Tremont and other such areas have thrived is because some die hard old time residents and newcomers decided they were gonna put their personal stakes into the neighborhood. This is a risk. It doesn't always work. But they did it and are reaping the benefits now.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,912,163 times
Quote:
You are talking about the government.

What in the world do you mean "have them start projects with private investors?" Sounds like extortion.

Real, sustainable development comes from within, and isn't imposed and forced upon a population who doesn't show that they can actually sustain it. The government coercing people to do things (invest in this neighborhood, because we said so) doesn't do anything positive.

The reason Ohio City and Tremont and other such areas have thrived is because some die hard old time residents and newcomers decided they were gonna put their personal stakes into the neighborhood. This is a risk. It doesn't always work. But they did it and are reaping the benefits now.
Stated like a true Republican.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,341,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Stated like a true Republican.
Apolitical, really. But certainly nowhere near a republican.

It's just reality. Look at all the successful neighborhoods in any city. Big time personal interest and personal investments. Not city government inserting itself into everything.

The city government is the ultimate bummer. Have you guys been following the Loren Naji saga in Ohio City? We get a popular gallery with a popular owner and the city decides they're gonna harrass the dude for having booze at his events. Honestly, who cares? The CPD does, that's who. I hope you all feel much safer out there.

Point is, individuals do make the bigger difference. Nobody does anything for you, if you want something done right, do it yourself. True in all aspects of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland