Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 AM

78 posts, read 95,478 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the response TeacherDad!

The sub-$100k price comes from getting a mortgage with taxes, home owner's insurance, PMI, and taxes that is less than the place we are renting. That way we can pay it off in under 15 years and really have more money to do what we want to do. This is really just a starter home for us. Eventually we'll get a larger home but we just want to start with something more affordable. We won't have enough downpayment in 8 months for something twice as expensive. I wish we would have enough but I don't think we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Parts of Mentor and Mentor-on-the-Lake are great for homes around $100K but that might be a little more of a drive than you would like.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Parts of Mentor and Mentor-on-the-Lake are great for homes around $100K but that might be a little more of a drive than you would like.
I definitely looked at that area at one point and even received a job offer over there but I refused it for several reasons. It would definitely be too far.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 PM

338 posts, read 559,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
My cousins live there BTW and have never wanted to leave. The community center is awesome!
Sorry to hear that.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 AM

107 posts, read 147,353 times
Mortey, as you've probably seen from the responses, there are lots of places where you could probably find a decent home in your price range not too far from Solon. It might help us a little to know what kind of area you're hoping to find. Just to start, I guess: would you rather be somewhere walkable, would you rather have a big lot, are there city amenities you'd like to have access to, what do you like/dislike about where you live now? All those might help us guide you a little better.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Sure!

So the most important things to my wife and I are: 1) Safe neighborhood where we could walk without having to worry about anything 2) Quiet neighborhood where I could sit outside and not hear police cars, busy streets, or bar sounds 3) within a 30 minute commute of Solon. The wife's ideal house would be very popular at Halloween time with lots of trick or treaters. I guess if I had to pick one thing it would be the safe and quiet neighborhood that would be nice to walk around.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:51 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortey View Post
Sure!

So the most important things to my wife and I are: 1) Safe neighborhood where we could walk without having to worry about anything 2) Quiet neighborhood where I could sit outside and not hear police cars, busy streets, or bar sounds 3) within a 30 minute commute of Solon. The wife's ideal house would be very popular at Halloween time with lots of trick or treaters. I guess if I had to pick one thing it would be the safe and quiet neighborhood that would be nice to walk around.
The good news is that there are plenty of post WWII suburbs in Cleveland that will fit the bill of what you're looking for. The bad news is, that some of them are showing their age and have seen depopulation and/or an uptick in crime. If I were you, I'd try to stay close to I-271 for commuting purposes. I'd look into Mayfield Heights, Beachwood, both of which are fine stable communities, and possibly Euclid or Richmond Heights, which are okay, but do show some signs of decline. The latter 2 will be a little further on the commute, but you may be able to find a better deal on property.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 AM

107 posts, read 147,353 times
Awesome! I'd definitely put Lyndhurst on the list. There are lots of houses under $100K - they're not large, but some are nicely updated, and they're set into quiet neighborhoods. You'd be about 15-20 minutes from Solon. South Euclid would be nice too (and has a great dog park!), but the drive would be a little longer. You could also check Aurora - it's a little bit more spread out, as a rule, but there are a few townhome developments that might work.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
You can't get into Beachwood for under $100K, certainly not for what you'd give up in a different city (BR's, square feet, etc.)

I think your best bets are South Euclid/Lyndhurst and Mayfield Heights, but you may have more trouble staying under $100K, particularly in Mayfield Heights where you end up paying more because of the better school district.

CH probably has better value for houses, but it might even out with higher property taxes and the commute's going to be further. There was a thread recently about Parkdale Drive. That actually might not be a bad area to look at. It's about 12-15 minutes to 271 at Cedar and then however much further to Solon (10-15 minutes?)

Old 06-19-2014, 02:06 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,101 times
I bought a house in Euclid for well below $50k in early 2010. Left Cleveland later that same year, but loved living in Euclid in my time there and still own my house. The parts of Euclid closer to East Cleveland are a bit dangerous, but my area further east was safe. No area is dangerous in the daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: